DJI major announcement ?

yes, but why thermal technology?? While possible, that would no doubt be a strange application. I'm hoping it can be used on the Osmo. I always wanted a thermal camera.

Personally I would like it for my fire dept. We already use my drone on occasion, and are thinking of buying one actually for our department, but they won't buy one without thermal. Not only is it great for finding hot spots in structure fires, it is a great tool for search and rescue, especially at night time. It can also be used by farmers checking on livestock, large electrical plants and I am sure many other real world applications.

what is geofencing
Not sure why nobody answered this but geofencing is a generic term that means setting an invisible barrier for many different reasons.

As it pertains to drones and in this case our Phantom it means setting a circumstance or area drawn out that the Phantom will stop at a virtual "fence" to stop it from entering a no-fly-zone or from hitting a power line or a mountain or whatever. I don't know what people's problem with it is to be honest, I've found it to work just fine for me but I've only tested it, don't really use it.

Back on the topic, I believe what they will announce is the availablity of obstacle avoidance for there entire line with the product that the DJI Matrice 100 had.

The Typhoon H stole the show with the Intel RealSense and anyone that was at CES 2016 can tell you why, it was impressive but as usual, the originators of things usually don't get the credit. It's gonna be hard with Intel and their R&D team behind them but I believe the avoidance system in the Matrice (which is already available for that system at least) made available as an add on for the Phantom and Inspire would keep DJI safe from a hostile take over of the market share by Yuneec who is set to release the Typhoon H without the Intel add on in April.

DJI CMO knows he needs to keep the market share because it's not at the point yet that it can't be stolen away.

At a $1700 entry point for a hex with conflict avoidance, it's a prosumer dream and DJI is not stupid.

My guess is the add on for obstacle avoidance that is found in the Matrice for its line.

I don't think it's time for a P4. If you start doing an iPhone style yearly release, people will stop buying them in my opinion. Well everyone but the pros.

My s1000 is still a workhorse and that's a pro UAS but even at $1000, you can't keep releasing a consumer drone every year.

That said, the technologies are increasing exponentially and once obstacle avoidance is there, everything else becomes nearly obsolete.

We will laugh at our current Phantoms in the not too distant future even if they will be historical.

Phantom Tomato. Really?

To the person with the geofencing question, the kitchen table guy does a half decent job of explaining it.

To the person with the geofencing question, the kitchen table guy does a half decent job of explaining it.

That guy..if ya didn't know is a member here and has been since Nov 5 2013 . Name is Pull_Up here and
does do a half decent job on all his stuff :)

Reactions: Jussaguy
That guy..if ya didn't know is a member here and has been since Nov 5 2013 . Name is Pull_Up here and
does do a half decent job on all his stuff :)
Thanks for letting me know. I used the term "half decent" not meaning any offense like its a just okay job. Was just using the phrase in casual type.

Either way, I've been watching his videos for a while and am a subscriber to his channel. I love his British "ahhhh" after his drink.

I would say I agree with him 90 percent of the time and he's definitely seasoned.

I'm often in London and the SoHo district so if you read this "Pull Up", I'm occasionally at Lip Sync or Goldcrest posting.

Was actually at Pinewood during the filming of Star Wars and Guardians. Often in London, Newbury, Peterborough and a few other Brit locations. Maybe one day we can have a cab together on your messy table. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
who cares wait till black Friday and get it cheaper again if a new p4 comes out that way hide money from wife so she don't know

If you just got the P3, you are not an early adopter, I double you would be the first in line for P4. Please continue playing with your new P3, By the time P5 is around the corner, you can get your P4 a great discounted price.
So dam true man.

Reactions: kirk2579
They fixed the ______ (insert answer from below).

a. sudden battery death.
b. X5 flicker.
c. X5 Cine and Log modes.
d. VPS.
e. P3 motor mount cracks.
f. P3 props flying off.
I say G None of the above

DJI dropped the price of the P3P to just $999, so I think P4 may be coming...

Lots of good stuff in this thread. I can't wait to see what they announce. regardless of reasons previously mentioned, I will still be an "early adopter" if it is indeed the next gen phantom or smaller inspire. I'll be a "beta tester" haha

Reactions: nhoover and ObiDon
DJI dropped the price of the P3P to just $999, so I think P4 may be coming...
****, that hurts since I paid $1259 3 months ago. But that is the price of technology. I think that from a value perspective, it's best to buy the latest minus one generation. So if a P4 comes out, buy a P3P, likely at less than even $999.

I'm not interested in it doing all the flying for me or waving my arms in the air to make it fly, .
monker thumbup.gif

Thank you for that post rulppa! It seems to me that the P3P is the drone for me unless DJI has something really special in stock for 1st of march...

Nah, not me. I'm waiting for all of you beta testers to get (some) of the bugs out of the new version before I buy it. Buy then I've likely crashed my P3 a couple more times or have it drop into the water....

Besides, if the GeoFencing is as bad as the beta, I'm not touching another DJI product.

Well how about the P4 that is water proof with an advoidence system, it's 360 camera and controlled with a glove. All for $1,100??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart