DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

Sorry if this has been covered, does the latest P3P update 1.6 include the new geo fencing update?
No it doesn't.
When it arrives it will be announced and it will be all over the forums too.
False. There is no evidence of any of this at all.
And so much for the GEO update coming in December! Not happening anytime soon...
Anyone that's had a DJI product for a while knows things always take a bit longer than anticipated.

No it doesn't.
When it arrives it will be announced and it will be all over the forums too.

Anyone that's had a DJI product for a while knows things always take a bit longer than anticipated.
Or maybe not. My fight today with 1.6 included several nice idiot warnings and new blinky lights (see my post on the subject).

A Christmas present?

Actually, in the US at least it was illegal to jailbreak phones purchased after 2013 but the law was changed in 2015 to reverse the legality making it now legal but your statement that "it is not illegal to modify hardware or software you own" is a bit incorrect. In most licenses for software, you only have a right to use the software and the terms are more analogous to a lease than owning (at least that is the case in the US).
No. There is no Law that stops you. No one has made a "don't jailbreak iPhones act". Therefore it is not illegal. It is against the license agreement, so they can only sue you, you can't be changed with anything. It is not a crime.

False. There is no evidence of any of this at all.
And so much for the GEO update coming in December! Not happening anytime soon...

I bet things could be here sooner then you think.

Btw, coming or not I recommend those who are interested, to go to this link, get your account, and use the menu on the right side to see where you are at with this subject today. I'm sure more and more will be added in due time. AirMap.io

I bet things could be here sooner then you think.

Btw, coming or not I recommend those who are interested, to go to this link, get your account, and use the menu on the right side to see where you are at with this subject today. I'm sure more and more will be added in due time. AirMap.io
Frank, you previously stated (post#25) that new GEO restrictions are in 1.6. Did you mis-speak?

Frank, you previously stated (post#25) that new GEO restrictions are in 1.6. Did you mis-speak?
Yep he did.
No .. he didn't
What he said was .. The No Fly Zone are more in effect with this firmware

What Frank was referring to was that they may have adjusted some of the existing NFZ areas.

GEO isn't more restrictions - it's less !!
When it arrives, you'll know all about it.
A DJI guy in their forum yesterday mentioned it should be coming in January.

Depends where you live and video. If you live next to a mountainous area, you need to go higher than 500m. And you'd still be less than 400ft AGL.

I guess some on youtube fly up to 1640.42 feet, where I live I go by FAA rules and stay under 400ft.....lol

Pretty sure this is what you are referring to...

"The No Fly Zone are more in effect with this firmware. Some of you may find that you will not be able to fly from where you live based on airport locations. This and the battery issue are the only differences in this update that I know of unless something is different from the beta firmware and published versions? Either way, the battery update is important."

I mentioned unless something is different from the version I was using and when the published version would be released. So as it turned out it didn't make it in the now current version. Who knows if and when anything like that may come out? My guess would be closer towards the middle of next month, unless some additional battery update was to come about it could be any day.

I posted a link in another thread that is an extremely good zone reference to use. It has plenty of updated tool with more updates in the works. There is one tool that shows everyone around that has added their house address added to NoFlyZone.org which shows up in the right side menu as the "Private Property" reference. You might see your neighbor's property that might tell you something. One of my neighbors added theirs.

Here is a copy and paste of what the meaning of it is:

"This layer displays private properties that have registered through NoFlyZone.org. This layer provides value to operators by letting them know that the registrant has requested that drones not fly over their property. Avoiding these properties may allow operators to voluntarily respect privacy, minimize hassles and decrease the likelihood of a dispute."

Last edited:
I guess some on youtube fly up to 1640.42 feet, where I live I go by FAA rules and stay under 400ft.....lol
If you live in flatland, then that's good, you should stay below 400' above your take off point. However many of us fly in the mountains that are way higher than the 1640' limit, in relation to take of elevation. I fly all the time at 150' to 250' AGL (I've developed the skill to do that pretty accurately via FPV) while climbing mountains over 1500' higher than my take off point. I wish the limit was more like 3000' instead of 1640, however idiots would misuse the capability, and they walk among us, everywhere. 3000' was possible with Litchi before the 1.5 firmware, however DJI put the kabash on that.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Too bad neighbors or anyone can add their addresses to the list but it doesn't make it enforceable. Only the FAA can do that.

No .. he didn't
What he said was .. The No Fly Zone are more in effect with this firmware

What Frank was referring to was that they may have adjusted some of the existing NFZ areas.

GEO isn't more restrictions - it's less !!
When it arrives, you'll know all about it.
A DJI guy in their forum yesterday mentioned it should be coming in January.

At least some of it's already here.

See my post here:

Geofencing - sneaking under the wire | DJI Phantom Forum

and this fun video of the new Christmas edition of the LEDS:

Hi all, just got my P3p and even keeping within sight I misjudged the contour of the property and crashed into a tree. One of the videos I saw on YouTube show someone flying into a building which happened to be a helipad! Cool, but scary to think that someone would put many lives at stake, in the air and on the ground by flying in that area. I think many of you have the ability to navigate without worry, in good conditions, maybe even in poor conditions. How many of you want to be in a light plane in an area where a newbe like me is flying above and beyond my ability? Fortunately I'm not willing to bet your life on it, but I see that some of you are willing to bet someone else's life, hopefully, the cost will not be too high. Most flying rules are written in blood. Thanks, and happy trails.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "most flying by rules are written in blood"?

Hi all, just got my P3p and even keeping within sight I misjudged the contour of the property and crashed into a tree. One of the videos I saw on YouTube show someone flying into a building which happened to be a helipad! Cool, but scary to think that someone would put many lives at stake, in the air and on the ground by flying in that area. I think many of you have the ability to navigate without worry, in good conditions, maybe even in poor conditions. How many of you want to be in a light plane in an area where a newbe like me is flying above and beyond my ability? Fortunately I'm not willing to bet your life on it, but I see that some of you are willing to bet someone else's life, hopefully, the cost will not be too high. Most flying rules are written in blood. Thanks, and happy trails.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z