1.6 Christmas Lights?

Reaction score
Flew the new firmware. -2 to +2C temp.

Bird works fine but it seems that DJI is giving us some Christmas presents:

First, "You are about to enter restricted airspace. Don't do anything stupid" (I'm paraphrasing). OK, yes, I know. I called the tower. As usual they could care less. ("Don't fly over the Coast Guard base"). No planes. Not even the GC helo (my constant fear since they fly anywhere). 250 feet. You have to move you finger off the controls and cancel the dialog box. What if it's not OK?

A few minutes later "You have entered restricted airspace. Don't do anything stupid" (again, I'm paraphrasing). Thanks guys, really helps. Now I either have to try to see through the stupid box or take my finger off the controls again. Doesn't do all that well for the video.

OK, come back. Deal with the idiot boxes again. See the bird on descent. The tail LEDs are blinking red. Uh Oh. Battery? Look down, 70%, check all the voltages, looks fine. Bring the bird down a bit. After quite a bit of fumbling around, including switching controllers (the first one had a new FPVLR antenna so I though that might be it), i finally got the hang of it. Two slow red flashes, three quick green flashes (the normal OK flashes) and repeat.

Either it's DJI's dumb idea for Christmas (thanks guys, I'm agnostic at best) or it is still trying to warn be about being a Danger To Society and flying 4 miles from a single strip airport.

BTW, other than that, I couldn't tell any difference in performance. I typically don't push the bird when I'm filming, if I wanted an acrobat machine I would not have purchased a camera. I don't get excited when my pickup doesn't corner like a Porsche either.

DJI, you gonna get some coal pretty soon.

Reactions: Reed L
Nobody's seen this? Maybe I've got a different issue that I thought. It's possible that the new light sequence and the warnings are unrelated but their showing up simultaneously has me suspicious.

Yes, a "flashing light enigma machine" has decoded the flashing light message as ... "We are DJI, and we have totally gone beyond any reasonable requirement to indemnify ourselves from any form of litigation for anything stupid that you might do with our product, and have provided any law enforcement agencies and/or litigators with all the evidence that you were warned, but did it anyway ... that they will need to hold you accountable for your actions".

Reactions: Reed L
What about 1.6 and using other apps instead of Go? Notifications there too?

Reactions: Flyer91
Yes, a "flashing light enigma machine" has decoded the flashing light message as ... "We are DJI, and we have totally gone beyond any reasonable requirement to indemnify ourselves from any form of litigation for anything stupid that you might do with our product, and have provided any law enforcement agencies and/or litigators with all the evidence that you were warned, but did it anyway ... that they will need to hold you accountable for your actions".

Kinda thought so, seemed more likely than 'Merry Christmas'. Here is a visual.

What about 1.6 and using other apps instead of Go? Notifications there too?
Haven't tried that yet. Sun went down and it got cold. But yes, I'm going to try Autopilot next. But it will likely rain and or snow for the next four or five days.

I experienced that light show flying on the fringe of a restricted area. I knew I would be close so I checked the DJI maps before I went there. I was supposedly in the clear (by 1/4 to 1/3 mile) on the maps but when I got to the site it gave me all the warnings anyway. It makes me wonder how accurate they are on their published maps...

Oh, I am still on version 1.4

So now they have made it extremely hard to fly in an area that you have gotten permission to fly in... rediculous

Reactions: aka1ceman
I experienced that light show flying on the fringe of a restricted area. I knew I would be close so I checked the DJI maps before I went there. I was supposedly in the clear (by 1/4 to 1/3 mile) on the maps but when I got to the site it gave me all the warnings anyway. It makes me wonder how accurate they are on their published maps...

The distance isn't from the edge of the airport but from the Airport Reference Point which you'll find on a sectional map. Don't trust "random" maps online if you're going to risk the infractions you are better off going with an official map or buy a sectional.

Yes but if you have permission, then what? I know it will be ok, just go fly and have fun. Or sell it to me for 59 bucks.

I kinda think this is happening at the RC level or more likely, the GO app. Bird tells the app where it is, app looks to see it it's OK to be where it is. If not it sends the annoying message and tells the bird to blink differently.

What annoys me is:

- the warning requires you to stop what you are doing and dismiss it. You break control. That can be dangerous. It's always annoying. Bad move, DJI.
- they didn't tell anyone about much of anything. So, is this a new failure mode that I should ground the bird for, or is it acting as desired.
Worse move, DJI.

Time to think things through carefully. Christmas is tonight. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for tech support.

[QUOTE="WetDog, post: 605961, member: 40764"................ Christmas is tonight. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for tech support.[/QUOTE]

LOL! For sure!

It's interesting that I live 4 miles from an AFB, and I get no warnings whatsoever if I put the bird up. (I called flight operations and they know about me)

I find it interesting that 'don't fly here' Web sites and apps rarely show the same restrictions except for major airports. This all feeds to be stanardized, and DJI needs to get on the same page as well. It's rattling to verify you're in safe airspace before you fly, then have the drone tell you otherwise, who do you believe? The Gubmint seems to be dragging it's @$$ on ITS no fly Web site, so this leaves those trying to do the right thing pretty 'vulnerable'. DJI should get their geo-fencing act together, or leave the responsibility to the pilot, especially now that pilots are required to register and acknowledge safety regulations before flying.

LOL - great sense of humor! Thanks for the chuckle.
"You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you!"

LOL - great sense of humor! Thanks for the chuckle.
"You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you!"

what-me-worry-715605.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik