DJI forces us to take the GO update v3.1.3 [Android].

Ok so far I've tried
Uninstall app.
Reinstall apk 3.0.1, in airplane mode no Internet. The app opened but I needed to log in so had to go back on line, then straight back into airplane mode. All was fine hit the flight log button and git the message. Even with no Internet....

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Same here tried what you done.

Reactions: Digdat0
Same here tried what you done.
Been on chat carried on until they registered a complaint and got a case number. The more people they get moaning the more they might do something about it. Other than that we need some one with brains to put together an old app which won't update. Or hack the current one to allow down grading.

:) The way issues like this get fixed are through complaints .. the more their 'case data' shows the issue, the more noticed it will be by their product management and engineering teams and the more likely they will be to turn this switch off.

Reactions: Tommymonkey
ok, so I tried to install 2.6.0 and boom, there is the same problem as you guys have
I looked into sources, did a little digging and I have a solution for all of you
disadvantages:
1. most probably it's valid for Android users only (I don't even know if the same problem is on iOS version)
2. you won't be able to use internet connection while using DJI GO

so:
1. download attached zip, unzip it and copy those 2 files somewhere to your phone (so you can use them again and again)
2. run DJI GO and cache your maps that you need
3. close DJI GO completely
4. turn off internet connection
5. use some file browser (I recommend Total Commander) and navigate to internal SD card's folder \Android\data\dji.pilot\cache (it may seem familiar as we put .DJI.configs into \Android\data\dji.pilot\files)
6. you can see there are the same 2 files - replace them with the files you copied into your phone
7. enjoy DJI GO with no forced upgrade ;)

I think I should be able to patch apk in a way that this message will never be displayed, even when phone is connected to the internet
if anybody would like to try, choose version number to patch

Attachments

• noForcedDJIGOupgrade.zip
    26.1 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
ok, so I tried to install 2.6.0 and boom, there is the same problem as you guys have
I looked into sources, did a little digging and I have a solution for all of you
disadvantages:
1. most probably it's valid for Android users only (I don't even know if the same problem is on iOS version)

so:
1. download attached zip, unzip it and copy those 2 files somewhere to your phone (so you can use them again and again)
5. use some file browser (I recommend Total Commander) and navigate to internal SD card's folder \Android\data\dji.pilot\cache (it may seem familiar as we put .DJI.configs into \Android\data\dji.pilot\files)
6. you can see there are the same 2 files - replace them with the files you copied into your phone

I think I should be able to patch apk in a way that this message will never be displayed, even when phone is connected to the internet
Thanks that worked for me on Android ver 2.9.1

Last edited:
Just flew 2 hours on my P4 DJI go app 3.1.3 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S (Andriod). Hit return to home at least a dozen times at different ranges up to 5,000 feet out. Not a single glitch. Works perfect. I even reset manually the RTH location and it flew to that location. Maps also were good.

Is there any problem with 3.1.3?
I was using 3.1.1 . Was ok. With 3.1. 2 i almost lose my phantom. With 3.1.3 who knows?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a40 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I tried 3.1.3 for one flight it seemed to a behave but as I use Android and don't like Here maps I have re installed 2.9.1 and used the fix posted in #44 above so I have a stable version of Go with Google maps and no force update screen.

Delete app, Reinstall, turn off auto-updates.
FYI for anyone hearing of this for the first time: It has been reported countless times in the many threads on this topic that if you are connected to the internet you will get the update message even if you have disabled auto updating of the GO app. I have not tested this personally, but I trust the feedback from so many pilots who have confirmed that turning off updates does not stop the message from appearing.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the new version 3.1.3? Everyone seems to assume that it is bad, but does it work? Any experience with the new version?

Has anyone tried the new version 3.1.3? Everyone seems to assume that it is bad, but does it work? Any experience with the new version?
Yes, several of the related threads have posts about 3.1.3. What I have read is that the home point bug is fixed, but they are forced to use HERE maps unless connected via 3G/4G and then some have been able to use GOOGLE maps.

I think (personal opinion only) that the biggest complaint from people about the forced update is not regarding 3.1.3 specifically but with being forced to change away from an older version they know and trust or that for sure uses GOOGLE maps.

disadvantages:

so:

Thanks bro your a life saver.

I'm not taking a position with what DJI did, but as a software developer I can understand why they did it. I would guess that any or some combination of the following reasons tipped their decision into forcing the upgrade.
  1. There was a bug when you set the user's current position as the new home position that they say is fixed in 3.1.3. DJI decided the risk to losing a drone was greater than the fury and annoyance of the users who did not want to upgrade.
  2. It cost too much to support multiple versions of the app. With Android, they have to test their app on every Android device they explicitly support. Multiple that with each version of Android available for each device. Then multiply that with each DJI model supported. Then multiply that with each DJI model's firmware support. That's just for the current version of the app. If you want to support previous versions, it gets unmanageable very quickly.
Android development testing is very different than iOS. With iOS, you have a single vendor for the OS and the hardware and much smaller number of device models. Android is tremendously fragmented between the number of different devices and chipsets and OS versions.

Reactions: sinxa and Neon Euc
I suspect they have done it to include a lot more NFZs and no way to get back to a free and open airspace. Say a city bans drones entirely, easy for DJI to block flying there with no ability to go back a version that allowed it.

Added:
I see Autopilot added something called a "No-Fly Zone Manager" in their recent update memo's notes this past week. DJI may be putting it into their SDK now so the autonomus programs like Litchi and Autopilot will soon be locked by DJI too and may carry over automatically into those apps on any new DJI forced version change. Could be to appease Big Brother.

Last edited:
I think many of us understand that DJI seems to want to please big brother, in ghis day and age, that is understandable, BUT, as a software developer, if you created a new firmware that caused the item in question to possibly destroy itself by the home point f up, would you still have a job?
Dji forced other companies out of business, got money from all of us to buy their drones.
Now they are holding us over the fire.
I see 2 options.
They can either give us what we want as far as what we want in the Go App, or we will be buying Litchi.
I see how the NFZ aspect will eventually be unavoidable, but my guess is that if there was a way we could email the map guys with proof that helipads for companies that dont exist anymore should not be on any NFZ map, most of us have and will fly accordingly in and around NFZ areas.
....the heliports i refer to are on the before you fly app, in NE Massachusetts i am just outside of 5 moles from Hanscom AFB, but i am within the 5 mile radius of 3 helipads that do not exist.
I have not tried to fly with the new forced version, I only started my older version to see if I got the forced update message, so I updated....hoping yhose heliports are not a factor when it is warm enough to try to take off....

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I downgraded to get away from Here maps which are useless in country areas. Now it looks like Litchi will be what Im using.
I might give the work around a try though.
All this is really very annoying . After FW update problems I finally had a combination of older app/FW that worked.

I flew today using the latest app and firmware with no issues so far. I do prefer Google maps mainly because that's what I'm used to. With Samsung Note 5 I've had to cache my maps before a flight with both so I haven't really seen much of a difference having to us the HERE maps. If your interest in the reason why they switch, I found this article. DJI and HERE's global drone mapping partnership

Capture.PNG

The only way I can see it working is if you use a dedicated tab / phone and have an old app loaded and cached maps and no intention of ever connecting to the Internet. Any ideas?

That is what I have been doing. iPad mini never connected to the internet. No background map, but I do see direction from me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor