How do you travel with your drone?

• Total voters
Okay so I just got here in Mexico city, went through customs and Mexican immigration and they did not give me any problems or asked any questions. They were more concerned about laptops and cellphones /camera's.

I finally made up my mind to check out the Procraft backpack, it arrives in 2 days. However I'm a little concerned the walls of that backpack won't be rigid enough. I get that impression from the straps that go across the top of everything, implying the straps need to be latched for the backpack to keep it's shape. It would seem if you zip the lid shut, that would be enough to hold things in place. I'm puzzled by those straps, my TT Helipak doesn't have those, and I don't need the hassle of buckling them and unbuckling them every time I get in the backpack. If the pack is rigid enough I'll likely cut them off. If the pack isn't rigid enough, it's going back to Amazon.

The Polar Pro looked nice, but it also looked a little too small, some folks mentioned the tight fit. The way the motor arms overlapped the batteries is undesired. Good price though, very competitive. If the ProCraft doesn't work out I may check out the Polar Pro unit.
Should be just fine. Once zipped up. It holds form pretty good. And if not. On the inside edge of the main compartment. There is a zipper that has access to the foam and some strips of something that you could always make thicker to your liking I would think

@John Locke That's great. We are all very excited for you. Wasting the resources of whichever vendor had the misfortune to be chosen by you is a great idea. I now look forward to your trolling this thread some more.
What are you having for dinner this evening? Did your back hurt this morning when you got out of bed? And this is going to sound silly, forgive me, but I wonder do you generally remember to floss?

Last edited:
Also love my trekker, will be doing a review soon as well.

@Ramphex Hi there - I am glad to have you on here. You have the modded controller. Your review should very useful to others interested in the Drone Trekker. Thank you.

Reactions: Ramphex
I am going to try this again. This applies to everyone.

The thread is about traveling with your Phantom... it is not about a specific bag and if it is the title does not reflect that.
Anyone can post in it, the thread starter cannot dictate special rules for a particular thread without special permission from an admin.
Please do not "memberate" other members, please do use the report button so the staff can deal with it properly.

Were all in this together, so lets be nice to each other, have fun and learn something new about our passion. :)

UPDATE: THE TITLE HAS BEEN CHANGED BY THE OP, PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

Last edited:
[MOD EDIT]

And for the record, I am NOT saying this is the best and perfect backpack.
There is no such thing.
I just wanted to share why I love that it fit my particular needs and I wanted a space (this thread) to discuss it.

Thank you TJ for keeping an eye on things and the owners for these great forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone -

Today I will be posting pictures and a new video showing the Drone Trekker in use when carrying photography equipment.

When I use it that way, I carry my two favorite lenses: the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and my "walk-around" Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens with my 40D body.
I also pack a tripod, a point-and-shoot and a GoPro to handle situations the DSLR can't.

Below is a picture of everything I like to carry with me:

IMG_4058.jpg

This is how I start.

The Drone Trekker can accommodate a Phantom with no issues.
It's how it gets packed up and arranged that determines how comfortable the drone will be.
Note that I do not use one of the two dividers so recoup additional space.

Edit: Some asked me about the powerbank. It's the Mophie Powerstation x5 and I put it in the side pocket (I forgot to take it out in the video).

IMG_4061.jpg

There is a small and convenient pocket atop the bag for keys or other small items. I use it from my storage media.

IMG_4064.jpg

And this is the end result. All packed up.

IMG_4065.jpg

And here is a video showing how everything is packed and the unpacking.

I cut down on the duration to make it less than 2 minutes long. I see from my Vimeo statistics that most viewers don't finish playing my 4:35 minutes long video in post #3.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidKobe210
Hello everyone -

Today I will be posting pictures and a new video showing the Drone Trekker in use when carrying photography equipment.

When I use it that way, I carry my two favorite lenses: the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and my "walk-around" Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens with my 40D body.
I also pack a tripod, a point-and-shoot and a GoPro to handle situations the DSLR can't.

Below is a picture of everything I like to carry with me:

View attachment 58088

This is how I start.

The Drone Trekker can accommodate a Phantom with no issues.
It's how it gets packed up and arranged that determines how comfortable the drone will be.
Note that I do not use one of the two dividers so recoup additional space.

Edit: Some asked me about the powerbank. It's the Mophie Powerstation x5 and I put it in the side pocket (I forgot to take it out in the video).

View attachment 58087

There is a small and convenient pocket atop the bag keys or other small items. I use it from my storage media.

View attachment 58086

And this is the end result. All packed up.

View attachment 58084

View attachment 58085

And here is a video showing how everything is packed and the unpacking.

I cut down on the duration to make it less than 2 minutes long. I see from my Vimeo statistics that most viewers don't finish playing my 4:35 minutes long video in post #3.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Hey 28, here are some pics of my cancun vacation so far . No problems bringing my drone to Mexico.

Attachments

• 1466826276056.jpg
    1466826276056.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 1466826286180.jpg
    1466826286180.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 414
  • 1466826295491.jpg
    1466826295491.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: 28wins
Hi,

For your travels with the Trekker via airplane, were you able to get the bag to fit under the seat, do you think it would be possible to do?

Hi,

For your travels with the Trekker via airplane, were you able to get the bag to fit under the seat, do you think it would be possible to do?

The thought of trying that didn't cross my mind: the height of that space (under the seat in front of you) is insufficient.

Next thing you know, you are shoving and compressing the bag to get it to fit, which I couldn't possibly do knowing my P4 is inside.

Reactions: Cblrhan
With all of the rave reviews I bought a Trekker to try out with my P4. I wasn't totally happy with the ProCraft I just bought because I would need to cut off all the Velcro tipped straps to mimic the utility of my Think Tank backpack (which works well). I don't understand why ProCraft thinks they need all of those straps on the inside of the backpack. I guess photographers prefer straps with their camera equipment, maybe it's an industry standard so a lens or expensive camera doesn't accidentally fall out, so ProCraft kept that trend with their drone backpack. I personally think the straps are a PITA, they get in the way and don't help much at all. I was so annoyed with the design I got the paperwork ready to return the ProCraft to Amazon, but wanted to evaluate the Trekker first to make sure. Turns out I may be keeping the ProCraft and whack off the straps because the Trekker isn't for me.

I'm sorry guys, I just don't agree. It's apparent the Trekker isn't even designed for a Phantom. It's a regular camera backpack being sold as a drone backpack, and it happens to work, kinda sorta. You can tell because none of the inserts make reasonably decent compartments for the shape of a Phantom, and the depth of the case isn't right for the height of the craft, I think others have mentioned this. To fit everything in the motor arms need to overlap other things and two of the arms protrude above the zipper line, although I had no problem zipping the pack because this. If it was made for the Phantom I wouldn't have to spend a bunch of time arranging the interior walls either. I think that's because Polar Pro can't figure the best configuration for Phantom to have them configured at the factory, or their vendor refuses to do it for them, I'm not sure. After I looked at photos of how others setup their Trekker (including Polar Pro) to mimic them, I came to realization this pack isn't designed specific for any Phantom. If you look at the Polar Pro example in this thread, showing how they arrange things, they are piecing together multiple walls in series, instead of designing the interior walls the right length and shape in the first place. The other strange thing is the main compartment opens from the front of the pack (the side with the shoulder straps) instead of the back. However, the back side of the pack has compartments to store things too. So when you actually use the pack, you have to flip the backpack over..... back and forth.... to gain access to all your things. The same with putting your things away. That is really a poor design for a drone backpack, IMHO. It might be OK for a photographer with camera equipment, but not for a drone IMHO. It's just not efficient when setting up your drone to fly. Neither the ProCraft or the Think Tank Helipak have that problem, everything is accessed from one side. That way when you start preparing your drone, you lay down the pack, open it up, and everything can be accessed without flipping the whole backpack, back and forth.

The coolest thing about the Trekker is the TSA lock for the main compartment zipper. Then I realized I would never use it. I never check my drone backpack when flying on airlines, it's always carried on because of the LiPo batteries, plus I don't want my drone thrown around like a piece of luggage in a soft backpack. The lock is simply non relevant to my needs. But it's cool looking.

I know what you guys will say, I'm being too negative and I'm a Think Tank promoter, etc (totally not true). I've got 4 backpacks from different manufacturers sitting here. It's not difficult to see when something works good and when something is a bad design. I actually like my $50 Chinese cheapy backpack (super light) for my P3P, so I don't have any allegiance to any manufacturer, I simply call it like I see it.

Frankly, the ProCraft and Trekker both have issues, but between these two backpacks, ProCraft wins hands down due to the size and ergonomics of the compartments. They both cost about the same, $120-$130. For $80 more you can get a Think Tank helipak, but many will chose the ProCraft, because it can work, with the aid of some scissors :p. And yes, so far Think Tank Helipak is the best I've seen so far, but at a higher price of $200. Better layout, better zipper, better materials.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripc
The Drone Trekker is designed to be modular. It is hard to argue that it is not desirable.

This means it can be arranged to suit different need(s) to carry different things.
The alternative would be getting stuck with what the manufacturer thinks is an "ideal" drone set up.

This means it can arranged a certain way and be used the same way every time so there is no need to touch anything after the initial configuration or be re-arranged to suit flying, hiking, walking on foot in NYC, skateboarding/ cycling to the beach, traveling in SE Asia in the rain etc. because the purposeful contents would be *different* for each one of those outings.

My photos and video clearly show how the back is used and how much it can hold.

The PolarPro staff member showed the other extreme for people who only need to carry a drone and a camera.

It is up to the owner and each person's needs.

The lock is not just useful when flying.
It's rather obvious. There are countless other situations it is nice to have the option the lock the bag.
Having the lock and not use it is better than the alternative whether the bag is with the owner or not - checked in when traveling by air or not.
Examples: set it down at Starbucks during a coffee break, staying with friends overnight, traveling by train the French province or by subway in Madrid etc.
This is a very valuable feature and PolarPro did well. Thank you for that.

The materials and zippers on the Drone Trekker are excellent.

The design choice of having the computer rest where the base/ landing legs of the drone is better than having everything on one side and potentially having the weight of a laptop rest atop the drone.

And this is *NOT* about money.
I did not mention the price, not even once because it does not matter.

Price does not drive my choices in life.
I buy what I want and need when I can afford it.
Finally opting to support vendors who rip off the original design of legitimate innovative companies is also just such a terrible crass thing to do. Not only the quality is terrible but I would hate if I someone copied my work like hate it when someone keeps trolling my thread, again, again and again. Sigh...

Last edited:
With all of the rave reviews I bought a Trekker to try out with my P4. I wasn't totally happy with the ProCraft I just bought because I would need to cut off all the Velcro tipped straps to mimic the utility of my Think Tank backpack (which works well). I don't understand why ProCraft thinks they need all of those straps on the inside of the backpack. I guess photographers prefer straps with their camera equipment, maybe it's an industry standard so a lens or expensive camera doesn't accidentally fall out, so ProCraft kept that trend with their drone backpack. I personally think the straps are a PITA, they get in the way and don't help much at all. I was so annoyed with the design I got the paperwork ready to return the ProCraft to Amazon, but wanted to evaluate the Trekker first to make sure. Turns out I may be keeping the ProCraft and whack off the straps because the Trekker isn't for me.

I'm sorry guys, I just don't agree. It's apparent the Trekker isn't even designed for a Phantom. It's a regular camera backpack being sold as a drone backpack, and it happens to work, kinda sorta. You can tell because none of the inserts make reasonably decent compartments for the shape of a Phantom, and the depth of the case isn't right for the height of the craft, I think others have mentioned this. To fit everything in the motor arms need to overlap other things and two of the arms protrude above the zipper line, although I had no problem zipping the pack because this. If it was made for the Phantom I wouldn't have to spend a bunch of time arranging the interior walls either. I think that's because Polar Pro can't figure the best configuration for Phantom to have them configured at the factory, or their vendor refuses to do it for them, I'm not sure. After I looked at photos of how others setup their Trekker (including Polar Pro) to mimic them, I came to realization this pack isn't designed specific for any Phantom. If you look at the Polar Pro example in this thread, showing how they arrange things, they are piecing together multiple walls in series, instead of designing the interior walls the right length and shape in the first place. The other strange thing is the main compartment opens from the front of the pack (the side with the shoulder straps) instead of the back. However, the back side of the pack has compartments to store things too. So when you actually use the pack, you have to flip the backpack over..... back and forth.... to gain access to all your things. The same with putting your things away. That is really a poor design for a drone backpack, IMHO. It might be OK for a photographer with camera equipment, but not for a drone IMHO. It's just not efficient when setting up your drone to fly. Neither the ProCraft or the Think Tank Helipak have that problem, everything is accessed from one side. That way when you start preparing your drone, you lay down the pack, open it up, and everything can be accessed without flipping the whole backpack, back and forth.

The coolest thing about the Trekker is the TSA lock for the main compartment zipper. Then I realized I would never use it. I never check my drone backpack when flying on airlines, it's always carried on because of the LiPo batteries, plus I don't want my drone thrown around like a piece of luggage in a soft backpack. The lock is simply non relevant to my needs. But it's cool looking.

I know what you guys will say, I'm being too negative and I'm a Think Tank promoter, etc (totally not true). I've got 4 backpacks from different manufacturers sitting here. It's not difficult to see when something works good and when something is a bad design. I actually like my $50 Chinese cheapy backpack (super light) for my P3P, so I don't have any allegiance to any manufacturer, I simply call it like I see it.

Frankly, the ProCraft and Trekker both have issues, but between these two backpacks, ProCraft wins hands down due to the size and ergonomics of the compartments. They both cost about the same, $120-$130. For $80 more you can get a Think Tank helipak, but many will chose the ProCraft, because it can work, with the aid of some scissors :p. And yes, so far Think Tank Helipak is the best I've seen so far, but at a higher price of $200. Better layout, better zipper, better materials.

There is no one-best pack. Each person values different things.

Reactions: Lerroy
4533ea4e5591d3b2de3fd7904aa79d48.jpg
c8dfeffa8d9f3bbc39e12c14cf02caeb.jpg
1f0185572f7a4d26c23e25d8a4a25206.jpg
4241f0438cf9534bb0c9731ae8b33e3e.jpg

I travel a lot and my biggest concern was taking the Trekker on a small airplane (ember 145) I was afraid it wouldn't fit in the tiny overhead or under the seat so I carried an extra duffle bag with me just in case I'll be asked to put the Trekker with the luggage. To my surprise (see pictures) it was able to fit in the tiny overhead. But it's really tight under the seat so if you fly long distances with small airplanes make sure you can get on first and put it in the overhead.

Regarding the bag size. It took me about 10'tries to play around and fit everything I need (see picture). So far I had this bag for 2 weeks and been on he road with it most of the time. The best part is that it doesn't look like a drone backpack and I can walk into meetings and have my laptop inside and it doesn't look weird. It is tight at first to close the zippers but the bag comes with motor cups to protect the motors. So far I been very happy with mine, I can take all my flying gear with me in on place.

I also would like to mention the amazing customer service from Jeff and his polar pro team. They listen to your questions and concerns and address everything immediately.

c1e5183a5360c5973e2168c121ae2004.jpg

e276d13931c1b10b87f2ca02e902c789.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AwesoM and Lerroy
@omerk: hi - thank you for posting!

Could you please tell us what you have in that black (Destek) pouch?

Last edited:
It's not a pouch it's my VR glasses

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will look up the brand. Thank you.

Last edited:
Ordered one and it's on the way.

I think a set of motor plastic guard would be a best match for the Trekker. I'm buying it tonight :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z