Anyone in Wisconsin?

Yea, -5F and my drone comes tomorrow. Typical Wisconsin. It as 50's Christmas week. Now that I want to be out, of course its below zero.

Hey folks, I live in the Columbus (NFZ) area, but work on the west side of Madison during the week.
I just picked up a Phantom 3 Standard (first drone) and would love to have someone show me how to use this thing. Anybody have any free time to show a fat guy the ropes?
Are there any legal places to fly in Madison/Sun Prairie area?

I am over in Milwaukee unfortunately.

You will find the P3 is a very easy bird to fly. It will just sit there in mid air if you let go of the sticks.

Bout the only important tip is for takeoffs and landings. There is only one throttle setting you should use for takeoffs. Full power until you get off the ground a foot or so, then let go. It will hover there. Once you got a feel for the bird then you can relax on the takeoff power. But for now get it off the ground quick.

Good idea to gentile down and practice a landing or two before you move it. When it touches the ground, throttle stick full down and it will kill the motors. Practice that a few times and then just go fly it.

Just remember to SET YOUR RTH altitude BEFORE you takeoff. Make it high enough to clear anything around you. If you get in trouble, press RTH button on the remote. She will come home for you and land all by herself.

And download and read the manual. Cover to cover before you go out. There's important stuff in there you really should be aware of before you get out.

And lastly, keep your batteries warm right now. Tuck them in an inside jacket pocket to keep them warm. Then put it in the bird and get going before it gets too cold. That will give you the longest fly time. If it gets cold by sitting around for a long time, it lowers the power delivered from the battery and shortens your flight time.

I plan to fly Super Bowl Sunday (Feb 7th) at Wirth Park in Brookfield. About 1:00pm. Early forecast if for sun and temperatures above freezing. Anyone is welcome to stop by.

Had to google the park. Didn't know that was even there! Not familiar with the area around that park. Good stuff to fly over?

I plan to fly Super Bowl Sunday (Feb 7th) at Wirth Park in Brookfield. About 1:00pm. Early forecast if for sun and temperatures above freezing. Anyone is welcome to stop by.
If the WX holds, I'll try to make it!
JR

Bummer !!! I live just a few miles north of Wirth....but will be out of town unfortunately. Please post here after and let us know how it goes. I would be very interested in getting together as a group in the area in the future !!!

Forcast is looking so-so. 37, 30% chance for rain/snow but winds only 10mph.

WX is lookin decent for flying today.

I don't know the park, where in the park is everyone meeting?

Bummer. Didn't see anyone from here at the park. Saw a guy with a parrot though.

Here is the video from today:

Last edited:
Sorry we didn't find you. We figured your location but you may have left by then. Saw your bird and waved, though. Actually saw two, but maybe one was the Parrot. We flew from a parking lot closed to cars that I wouldn't have known of had I not meet El Diablo in the main lot.

Sorry we didn't find you. We figured your location but you may have left by then. Saw your bird and waved, though. Actually saw two, but maybe one was the Parrot. We flew from a parking lot closed to cars that I wouldn't have known of had I not meet El Diablo in the main lot.
Bummer. When did yall get there? I rolled in right at 1pm. I looked in main lot. Lots of kids on the ice next to it. Lots of folks walking dogs. The smaller lot didn't have hardly anyone around so I picked there. I flew 3 batteries, close to an hour I think.

I plugged them in for a charge in the truck and had a chat with the parrot guy. Then I headed back to milwaukee.

On the way back I decided to head for the lakefront and see about a first water flight. Had 2 batteries up so parked behind the Marcus and flew from there.

Started a thread here:
Milwaukee Lakefront

Last edited:
Sorry Wolfiesden, I met up with RoadRogue in the main big parking lot (near the ice rink) and we walked to the back lot near the wetlands. We saw you flying but didn't figure out where until later and you were gone. Nice video, especially the train chase. You caught just a bit of us in your video. We were near the picnic table storage area.

RoadRogue, thanks for showing your drone on Litchi. I'll be looking for the video and the 18 photo panorama soon.

Got a time mark in the video I can look at the area where you were? Its the first time I went to that park so I didn't know my way around too well.

Tagging this thread, in New Berlin [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bummer. When did yall get there? I rolled in right at 1pm. I looked in main lot. Lots of kids on the ice next to it. Lots of folks walking dogs. The smaller lot didn't have hardly anyone around so I picked there. I flew 3 batteries, close to an hour I think.

I plugged them in for a charge in the truck and had a chat with the parrot guy. Then I headed back to milwaukee.

On the way back I decided to head for the lakefront and see about a first water flight. Had 2 batteries up so parked behind the Marcus and flew from there.

Started a thread here:
Milwaukee Lakefront
Wolfiesden,
You mentioned charging in your car. I wonder what you're using. I've tried several methods, including an inverter. Just bought a dual battery charger with controller charge cable that plugs directly into the car outlet. haven't tried it yet. Just wondered what you've found that works well.
RoadRogue

Tagging this thread, in New Berlin [emoji3]

Welcome! I fly some in waukesha and also in milwaukee. Looking forward to something better to photo than brown trees and mucky snow.

Wolfiesden,
You mentioned charging in your car. I wonder what you're using. I've tried several methods, including an inverter. Just bought a dual battery charger with controller charge cable that plugs directly into the car outlet. haven't tried it yet. Just wondered what you've found that works well.
RoadRogue
An inverter. Nothing complicated. Been using it for years to power all the stuff in the back seat for the girls (phone/tablet/laptop chargers).

Yea, this time of year tends to suck pretty bad around here. Its neither pretty new snow nor pretty spring flowers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT