Another issue...

The landing gear is a lot weaker when the bottom is chopped off. I just broke mine already on a hard landing from trying out some carbon props that were junk

Did you balance the props? Most people dont, but its the one thing I do religiously.

Did you balance the props? Most people dont, but its the one thing I do religiously.
Yea they were horrible at first so I balanced them and they are better for the jello effects but it still Flys bad with them. Have u had any luck with carbon props? These were my first try at them and I'm not impressed. I got the maytech 9443's. I was thinking about trying some carbon 9450s off ebay but not sure if I want to waste any more money on them

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Yea they were horrible at first so I balanced them and they are better for the jello effects but it still Flys bad with them. Have u had any luck with carbon props? These were my first try at them and I'm not impressed. I got the maytech 9443's. I was thinking about trying some carbon 9450s off ebay but not sure if I want to waste any more money on them

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Yes I have several sets of carbon 9443 props and they are my best set, even better than the DJI 9450's but only slightly with flight time. I fly with them when I want maximum flight time and for flying higher to get better shots. I got them from Ebay from here ---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pairs-9443...026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8d7c2ea2

Not saying to buy these, just showing you what I have exactly. They were balanced somewhat, but not perfect, so I balanced them as perfect as possible. If you want 9450 props, just get the plastic OEM one's. The are pretty firm like carbon props and come mostly balanced from DJI anyway. Only a few seconds less flight time that the carbons but still great too.

I mainly use the oem 9450s from dji and was just looking to try carbons out cause they are more stiff and I was hoping that would eliminate some vrs but it did the opposite. I won't give up on them yet then, thanks for the info

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

I mainly use the oem 9450s from dji and was just looking to try carbons out cause they are more stiff and I was hoping that would eliminate some vrs but it did the opposite. I won't give up on them yet then, thanks for the info

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

How fast are you coming down to have VRS with Carbons? There are a lot of factors at play here also. I lowered the weight a lot to eliminate VRS as I think the extra weight increases it on the P1/FC40. So far in testing I have not had VRS on a lightened phantom, but I want to be absolutely sure that a heavy bird is more prone to this. I am not saying a lighter bird will not have VRS at all, but I do think extra weight contributes to it when coming straight down too fast.

Last edited:
I don't have any way of measuring how fast descent is except if auto land is 4 m/s I am probly do in 3-4 m/s to have vrs. I use the multistar 4000 too so she is a little heavier with all my other stuff mounted on there too. I only have the vrs problem with 9 in props tho. Any of my 9 in props do it and none of my 8 in props do it. I never really tested out lighter weight with the 9 in props with vrs

The landing gear is a lot weaker when the bottom is chopped off. I just broke mine already on a hard landing from trying out some carbon props that were junk
That's a bummer, double whammie. The landing gear sure looked good in the pictures. Will you try it again?

Theoretically, an increase in weight will increase the likelihood of VRS for a given rate of descent.

When I am flying at around 1000 grams, I hardly have to worry about it, even with the 9450 props.
Same props and 1150 grams, I have to be pretty careful because the bird will start to wobble if I try to descend like I do at 1000 grams.
I have not done any comparison, just letting you know what I think I see.

Hey Molokai, have you got your bird flying well yet?

Reactions: Beario
I have only experienced VRS when the phantom was at its heaviest. I've kept it light to get the maximum flight time, but I also noticed no VRS. I'm certain the weight is an issue. Also, I experimented moving the camera back to the center instead of up front and the performance was also better, although the landing gear got in the way. In the phantom 1/FC40, the battery is more forward in the compartment, but also is the camera. I was trying to center the weight and it does behave differently this way. I think if the battery was an inch and a half more to the back things would be better. It is no surprise to me that DJI would put the battery more to the back on the newer models. It is more balanced this way, especially with the camera up front. Just my thoughts, but I have more experimenting to do.

Yep, I have to agree Beario, it would be nice to have a well balanced machine, so that 2 of the motors aren't working so hard.

I'm flying in canyons lately with little to no wind and it's tough to come down like I'm used to. Normally I have wide open space and can haul *** into the wind and drop like a rock. Now I have pine trees and rock walls to deal with and am constantly getting myself into VRS, it sucks.

For whatever reason, possibly the lack of wind, I was able to spin on a dime today??? I know my satellite reception isn't all that great because on 2 occasions I couldn't get the second set of 20 green flashes until airborne.

Theoretically, an increase in weight will increase the likelihood of VRS for a given rate of descent.

When I am flying at around 1000 grams, I hardly have to worry about it, even with the 9450 props.
Same props and 1150 grams, I have to be pretty careful because the bird will start to wobble if I try to descend like I do at 1000 grams.
I have not done any comparison, just letting you know what I think I see.

Hey Molokai, have you got your bird flying well yet?

Sorry for being gone so long, but I haven't been able to fly well at all in GPS mode (almost did a fly away yesterday), so I am only using Atti. mode. I am trying to get a replacement transmitter (Boscam TS321) because I feel like my unit is defective and signal is leaking over into the GPS frequency. I have also contacted DJI to see what they will say as well (even without the fpv on, it will pull right still after calibrations and will take a very long time to find satellites).

Sorry for being gone so long, but I haven't been able to fly well at all in GPS mode (almost did a fly away yesterday), so I am only using Atti. mode. I am trying to get a replacement transmitter (Boscam TS321) because I feel like my unit is defective and signal is leaking over into the GPS frequency. I have also contacted DJI to see what they will say as well (even without the fpv on, it will pull right still after calibrations and will take a very long time to find satellites).

WoW, that sucks.

Put a leash on that puppy. Please let us know if/when you come up with a solution.

Yep, I have to agree Beario, it would be nice to have a well balanced machine, so that 2 of the motors aren't working so hard.

I'm flying in canyons lately with little to no wind and it's tough to come down like I'm used to. Normally I have wide open space and can haul *** into the wind and drop like a rock. Now I have pine trees and rock walls to deal with and am constantly getting myself into VRS, it sucks.

For whatever reason, possibly the lack of wind, I was able to spin on a dime today??? I know my satellite reception isn't all that great because on 2 occasions I couldn't get the second set of 20 green flashes until airborne.

Have you installed copper foil to fix the satellite issue? I have some coming to install on my birds.

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...er-foil-shield-fix-low-satellite-count.31054/

Nope, no copper there yet. I am going to add this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aaa9004c7

But like I said, flying in canyons with little or no wind, it does just fine... some of the time.
I'm finding the combination of increased weight and wind to be a real big nuisance.

I've got my bird tuned pretty well, just wish the wandering issue would wander away. :(

I will let you know how the Copper foil works out. I really think it will do the trick as I consistently get 6 or 7 satellites while my wife somehow always gets 10.

That was the issue for me here wind and weight, but I loewered the weight and things are mostly good. I'm curious to see how that gps booster works for you, but I am thinking it will do the same as copper foil.

Reactions: IflyinWY
I've tried the copper tape, still doesn't work for me :/

I'm going to try and upgrade the GPS antenna.

Don't tease us. Which one will you use??? :)

I've tried the copper tape, still doesn't work for me :/

I'm going to try and upgrade the GPS antenna.

Let me know how the new antenna works. In my case, I decided to go with the Copper tape since DJI changed the insulation in new models. I will let you know how it works out, but right now I only get 6 0r 7 satellites after waiting 2 minutes so anything has to be better for me. I will follow the guide posted here ---> http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...er-foil-shield-fix-low-satellite-count.31054/

Ok so check this out. My Phantom does act crazy on Atti. mode too now. When I throttle up it jitters, and when I go left or right, it punches up a little. Any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18