Another issue...

I'm starting to wonder if some of the components have a finite life time/cycle.
Maybe there are connections, which we don't see, that are becoming corroded.

I'm at a loss Molokai, but watching intently, and sharing anything I can think of.

Have you used compressed air to blow dust out of your bird?

I bet the altimeter doesn't like that at all. :(

I am trying a trick learned from another site. With the tall landing gear uninstalled. Take some Gorilla glue and run a bead around the bottom, inside the rail. Let set overnight and the strength is incredible!

I am trying a trick learned from another site. With the tall landing gear uninstalled. Take some Gorilla glue and run a bead around the bottom, inside the rail. Let set overnight and the strength is incredible!

Sounds like a great idea.
Any chance of a picture of what you are describing? :)

I'm starting to wonder if some of the components have a finite life time/cycle.
Maybe there are connections, which we don't see, that are becoming corroded.

I'm at a loss Molokai, but watching intently, and sharing anything I can think of.

Yeah I really appreciate all your suggestions, thanks a lot. I'm just waiting for my new GPS antenna to get here. If that doesn't work, I have been issued an RMA from DJI. I'll have to switch back to the normal antenna afterwards though if that is the case haha. I'm gonna reflash this thing in the meantime.

Maybe it just doesn't like Summer. :confused: Or, Winter, what season is it over there? :confused:

This is where I am, I hope this link works there. You can scroll down a bit and find a picture map on the right side. Roll your mouse wheel and it will zoom. I'm near the 45th parallel where we have all 4 seasons, including the one where the "ground freezes". :(

I know you've said where you are, I just can't remember. :rolleyes:

I've tried the copper tape, still doesn't work for me :/

I'm going to try and upgrade the GPS antenna.

Good news!:) I installed the Copper tape in the top of the quad. I went a bit further though and put more tape and around the wires too. On my first test flight I saw that I was getting 10 or 11 satellites consistently instead of the 6 or 7. Weird thing though is that my wifes quad normally gets this number of satellites anyway and her's does not have extra copper shielding. Only thing still different so far is she has the older firmware. Starting to think not all of these antennas are the same somehow, but let me know how your new antenna works out.

Good news!:) I installed the Copper tape in the top of the quad. I went a bit further though and put more tape and around the wires too. On my first test flight I saw that I was getting 10 or 11 satellites consistently instead of the 6 or 7. Weird thing though is that my wifes quad normally gets this number of satellites anyway and her's does not have extra copper shielding. Only thing still different so far is she has the older firmware. Starting to think not all of these antennas are the same somehow, but let me know how your new antenna works out.

Would you mind posting a pic of your taped wires? Thanks!

Reactions: IflyinWY
All you have to do is wrap the Copper tape around the wire down to the connector and tape it with some Kaptan tape. I will be opening the quad up again and then I will take pics of everything including the OSD setup. The link I posted has lots of pics and I pretty much followed their guide, except I taped down everything with Kaptan Tape.

Finally figured it all out! So apparently, using an 90 degree RP-SMA elbow causes too much RF leak which messes with the GPS (BTW, that Taoglas GPS antenna works AMAZINGLY). Also, you want the cooling fins on the FPV transmitter to be facing up to lessen interference as well (I did also wrap the entire unit with copper tape). So that took care of that (still stayed on channel 7). For safe measure, I have the GPS and Compass wires wrapped with shielded copper tape. So far, I've been having solid connection to GPS satellites with no glitches.
As far as my pulling to the right, the problem was my landing gear. The compass needs to be EXACTLY where it is in the stock setup. I did previously have it in that location, so I went back to that setup. The reason why I really didn't think that this was the case is because I had this same extended landing gear kit from ebay and the quad didn't do that before, so I have no idea what happened there.

I want to thank you all a bunch for your input - this a good thread for whoever else has issues in the future.

This is where I am, I hope this link works there. You can scroll down a bit and find a picture map on the right side. Roll your mouse wheel and it will zoom. I'm near the 45th parallel where we have all 4 seasons, including the one where the "ground freezes". :(

I know you've said where you are, I just can't remember. :rolleyes:

My name is my location. haha

Also, there's no link on that post.

Finally figured it all out! So apparently, using an 90 degree RP-SMA elbow causes too much RF leak which messes with the GPS (BTW, that Taoglas GPS antenna works AMAZINGLY). Also, you want the cooling fins on the FPV transmitter to be facing up to lessen interference as well (I did also wrap the entire unit with copper tape). So that took care of that (still stayed on channel 7). For safe measure, I have the GPS and Compass wires wrapped with shielded copper tape. So far, I've been having solid connection to GPS satellites with no glitches.
As far as my pulling to the right, the problem was my landing gear. The compass needs to be EXACTLY where it is in the stock setup. I did previously have it in that location, so I went back to that setup. The reason why I really didn't think that this was the case is because I had this same extended landing gear kit from ebay and the quad didn't do that before, so I have no idea what happened there.

I want to thank you all a bunch for your input - this a good thread for whoever else has issues in the future.

Good info Molokai. There is just one thing. I was having issues even before the telemetry with the 90 degree RP-SMA elbow. My setup currently includes the 90 degree elbow so that the antenna can face down. After adding the Copper Tape, each time I go out, I get great sat counts and the quad coud not be anymore stable. I'll look further into the RF leak issue. The reason being is that depending on what type of connectors you buy, you can expect use of a wide range of materials. I personally like to look for connectors with shielding, like the link I sent you. A bit more expensive, but its worth it. I had an issue before with the Cable company and the tech taught me lots.

Last edited:
Good info Molokai. There is just one thing. I was having issues even before the telemetry with the 90 degree RP-SMA elbow. My setup currently includes the 90 degree elbow so that the antenna can face down. After adding the Copper Tape, each time I go out, I get great sat counts and the quad coud not be anymore stable. I'll look further into the RF leak issue. The reason being is that depending on what type of connectors you buy, you can expect use of a wide range of materials. I personally like to look for connectors with shielding, like the link I sent you. A bit more expensive, but its worth it. I had an issue before with the Cable company and the tech taught me lots.

You know the weird thing is, I bought the elbows in the link you sent me. Maybe I should have tried copper taping that as well. But I am getting good enough range running the stock antenna on the Tx and a cloverleaf on the Rx so I'll just stick to that for now.

You know the weird thing is, I bought the elbows in the link you sent me. Maybe I should have tried copper taping that as well. But I am getting good enough range running the stock antenna on the Tx and a cloverleaf on the Rx so I'll just stick to that for now.

I'm glad you found a good setup for you. After what you said I did a bit of testing to see if I could find any issues. I spent a good portion of today flying and trying out different antenna configurations on the Tx and Rx, both with and without the elbows. For me it is the opposite as the best combination for me is the cloverleaf on the Tx(with elbow so it points down) and an Alfa directional antenna on the Rx. If I find anything else I will definitely let you know.

Reactions: Molokai
I'm glad you found a good setup for you. After what you said I did a bit of testing to see if I could find any issues. I spent a good portion of today flying and trying out different antenna configurations on the Tx and Rx, both with and without the elbows. For me it is the opposite as the best combination for me is the cloverleaf on the Tx(with elbow so it points down) and an Alfa directional antenna on the Rx. If I find anything else I will definitely let you know.

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20