Annoyed by people approaching me

I've only had positive encounters, perhaps because I am positive in turn and happy to talk to people. Some will ask about regulations and I chat about those, pointing out that safety is the primary factor regardless of what the media and amateur lawyers say online. In the UK it's even harder as the new Air Navigation Order came into effect at the end of August and changed a number of parameters (for the better) and most of the media reports are still well behind.

As someone said above, we are ambassadors for a growing hobby (and professions for some) and we have a responsibility not to behave, either in flying or in manner, like some of the idiots on YouTube that sadly have millions of, mostly young, subscribers and give a very wrong idea of what is safe and what isn't.

Last edited:
If you're more than 5 miles, I respectfully disagree.

The last thing we want is the towers to be inundated with people calling them when they done need to.

If you were five miles away from any airport, as long as you are flying within the FAA rules, you are breaking no laws and in fact, the local government can't over-rule the FAA in public areas.

As for people bothering you, kindly say without giving them any info "Thank you for your concern. I am flying within the FAA regulations, I am certified to do and am aware of all state and federal legislation now please let me be so I can safely fly my craft. Have a good day and thanks again for your concern".

By the way, personally I have found most people to be nice and the only ones who aren't are the ones concerned with safety until I school them on how ridiculous that is.

Good advice, but this conversation, nor my comment is about being outside of the 5 mile radius of an airport.

Reactions: Myetkt
Bob, there are a ton of apps that will help you with that. Airmap also has a website that can get you started with contact points.

Bob, there are a ton of apps that will help you with that. Airmap also has a website that can get you started with contact points.
All you have to do is google "XXX airport tower info" and you will get it for whatever airport. Off the cuff here is FLL and MCO with just a google search.

On the other hand, you can go to Airmav.com and type in the airport.

AirNav: KFLL - Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport

AirNav: KMCO - Orlando International Airport

Easy.

Thanks for the input everyone. The numbers posted for KFLL and KMCO are usually the Airport Operations number, not the actual control tower. FAA tower numbers aren't usually given out and private ATC facilities may or may not give out the number. Its considered a security issue. I just went through this in St. Augustine. After dealing with the Airport Operations, I finally got the tower and also got permission from the NPS to fly over "Castillo De San Marcos Fortress", but it took a lot of coordination.

Thanks for the input everyone. The numbers posted for KFLL and KMCO are usually the Airport Operations number, not the actual control tower. FAA tower numbers aren't usually given out and private ATC facilities may or may not give out the number. Its considered a security issue. I just went through this in St. Augustine. After dealing with the Airport Operations, I finally got the tower and also got permission from the NPS to fly over "Castillo De San Marcos Fortress", but it took a lot of coordination.
From KMCO pulled from the AirNav and I am not saying anything other that this has a 100% success rate for me so far.

This is the info at the bottom of the Page for FLL:

"Manager: MARK GALE
2200 SW 45TH STREET, SUITE 101
DANIA BEACH, FL 33312
Phone 954-359-6100"

Here is the bottom of the page for MCO:

"Manager: PHILLIP N. BROWN, A.A.E.
1 JEFF FUQUA BLVD
ORLANDO, FL 32827-4399
Phone 407-825-7445"

Every airport in AirNav has a number for the manager and usually the owner of the tower if it's private. This info was told to me by someone with a private pilot license.

I call that number of whatever corresponding airport tower manager and tell him what I want. On almost every occasion, he transfers me to a person that I ask permission for a general time frame for example "a quad copter approximately 3.4 miles South Southwest from the tower and can I have clearance" and have been given the okay every time.

From KMCO pulled from the AirNav and I am not saying anything other that this has a 100% success rate for me so far.

This is the info at the bottom of the Page for FLL:

"Manager: MARK GALE
2200 SW 45TH STREET, SUITE 101
DANIA BEACH, FL 33312
Phone 954-359-6100"

Here is the bottom of the page for MCO:

"Manager: PHILLIP N. BROWN, A.A.E.
1 JEFF FUQUA BLVD
ORLANDO, FL 32827-4399
Phone 407-825-7445"

Every airport in AirNav has a number for the manager and usually the owner of the tower if it's private. This info was told to me by someone with a private pilot license.

I call that number of whatever corresponding airport tower manager and tell him what I want. On almost every occasion, he transfers me to a person that I ask permission for a general time frame for example "a quad copter approximately 3.4 miles South Southwest from the tower and can I have clearance" and have been given the okay every time.
Thank you... and apologies.... friends?

Reactions: Jussaguy
So this past Saturday, i was out in a park on the edge of a 5 mile radius to a small airport, not a major airport by any means.

I literally had the drone in the air for no more than 5 minutes when i get approached by some random person asking if i called the airport. I didn't lie, i said i had not b/c i was not going to be here long, just showing some friends the phantom, and wanted to grab a few quick shots of the city off of the lake. Next thing i know he starts saying how people here will report me and that he wasn't going to do it, but that people here do that, and that it was cool as long as i was being safe. I was really annoyed, but remained calm, and just brought the drone back down and put it away.

I was away from people, not flying over or near anyone, i was out over the lake. This person literally walked up a hill from about a half mile away just to come harass me.

I guess i could have been wrong for not calling the airport, but i was on the very edge of the 5 mile radius, and was no more than 100 feet out and 200 feet up, it was very windy so i didnt plan on being there long at all.....

In the past I've only had people come up and ask questions and just be curious. Nothing like this guy....who comes up to a total stranger and starts preaching..... Whats the best way to handle this situation?

Its really annoying when i'm trying to focus on flying safely to be bothered by people.
Yeah, I hate this too. People coming up and looking over your shoulder, it sucks, plus ALL THE QUESTIONS.

Yeah, I hate this too. People coming up and looking over your shoulder, it sucks, plus ALL THE QUESTIONS.
Again, the go to answer is just be kind and say:

"I'm sorry, flying this thing safely requires my attention. I'll be happy to chat with you when I'm done in a few.".

Reactions: Ike

Like i dont want to be a jerk, but i really just need to focus on flying. I dont mind if you want to watch, but like dont grill me with 50 questions while the drone is in the air!

I guess I`m old school, I bought the drone, I studied and passed the test, I`m a firm believer in being professional and showing the public the great side of our hobby or our profession... 42 yrs as a truckdriver/owner operator I have learned patience... Like the guy asking did you call the airport, my response would be yes I have be4ufly app, I`m licensed and I`m legal to fly here.....thank you for your concern.. then go back to having fun...

In my case the guy came with the police because I was flying over his lands, and I could break his privacy...so I had to land and gave them all my personal details and left that place on the countryside in the middle of nowhere...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Ground school covers contacting ATC and overhead aircraft. Using a VHF Transceiver and after obtaining a restricted operators licence. Filing a NOTAM the day before lets everyone know that drone operations are being conducted in an area. If you then have a flyaway you know how to contact authorities and what to say. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
So I did not see a reply to Bob D question. How do you get the # of the tower?

So this past Saturday, i was out in a park on the edge of a 5 mile radius to a small airport, not a major airport by any means.

I literally had the drone in the air for no more than 5 minutes when i get approached by some random person asking if i called the airport. I didn't lie, i said i had not b/c i was not going to be here long, just showing some friends the phantom, and wanted to grab a few quick shots of the city off of the lake. Next thing i know he starts saying how people here will report me and that he wasn't going to do it, but that people here do that, and that it was cool as long as i was being safe. I was really annoyed, but remained calm, and just brought the drone back down and put it away.

I was away from people, not flying over or near anyone, i was out over the lake. This person literally walked up a hill from about a half mile away just to come harass me.

I guess i could have been wrong for not calling the airport, but i was on the very edge of the 5 mile radius, and was no more than 100 feet out and 200 feet up, it was very windy so i didnt plan on being there long at all.....

In the past I've only had people come up and ask questions and just be curious. Nothing like this guy....who comes up to a total stranger and starts preaching..... Whats the best way to handle this situation?

Its really annoying when i'm trying to focus on flying safely to be bothered by people.

Did the rules change in the last year or so? I’m pretty sure the five miles is supposed to be an inverted cone. As you get farther away from the airport the higher you can fly. At five miles you can go to 400’, at 2 ½ miles you can go to 200’, etc.

Ed Fink
360 Degree Panoramas: Featured

Reactions: mapwd1702
I fly in an agricultural area 2-3 miles from a local airport. I have the airport tower number in my cell phone and call. I have been told if you are flying under 400 ft not to call. I seldom go above 100' since to inspect trees I don't have to fly that high. My experience with this airport in Homestead has been good. Every time I get closer than 2 miles I do call and let them know what I'm doing and where. Works well. It would be good to know if the rule changed as described in the posting above.

I'm Canadian and so far I have not had the pleasure of dealing with AH's. So far most just look in awe and ask some question but don't push. Usually my wife is with me and she answers most question (my personal communication staff). I have headplays and I almost always ask the curious if they want to go for a ride, they are so amazed and love it they want one then ask the price, then I usually get a "O... wow....expensive"

Every crash I have had came as a result of people distraction. Now I am very direct and tell people to wait till the flight is over and step back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl