Annoyed by people approaching me

Did the rules change in the last year or so? I’m pretty sure the five miles is supposed to be an inverted cone. As you get farther away from the airport the higher you can fly. At five miles you can go to 400’, at 2 ½ miles you can go to 200’, etc.

Ed Fink
360 Degree Panoramas: Featured
Never was the case. 5 miles from the ground up.

Reactions: BigAl07
I often fly in an open field 1.1 miles from a small, untowered county owned airport. They, too, are learning how to deal with the new rules and haven't yet started filing NOTAMs on UAS flights. They just notify the local pilots operating out of that airport.

I fly no more than 150' AGL and within 1/3 mile of where II fly, are 130' hills with 100' trees. No way a piloted aircraft will be near my location or altitude. Nonetheless, my arrangement is that i can call to notify, and if no one answers I can simply leave a message with my flight info and times. It's simple to do and keeps us both safe and in compliance.

Re "spectators" - I was lucky enough to fly in two national parks before "the ban". I drew small crowds and it is very distracting while you are trying to pay attention to operating your drone. Most of the time, though, they talked among themselves and didn't try to engage with me until I landed. Then, I was more than happy to answer questions. This was back in the spring of 2014 and even then I thought it important to build good will toward this "hobby". Still do!

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
What is most of the problem here in Canada are folks who go into a retailer and buy their drone. They then go out a fly without a clue regarding the regulations as simple as the 400 foot rule. Two recent encounters involve drones well outside of the 5 mile limit, with drones spotted by commercials at 6,000 feet and 7,000 feet on approach paths. My experience is that people are just curious and want to know more. My general approach is to land immediately, then take the time to be an ambassador for the sport. This was always true of my fixed wing RC experience since the 1970s and is even more applicable today with our rotorcraft experience. Safe, legal and happy flying folks.

What is most of the problem here in Canada are folks who go into a retailer and buy their drone. They then go out a fly without a clue regarding the regulations as simple as the 400 foot rule.....

I wonder how many drones are sold verses the number of FAA registered drones in the USA? I'd almost bet that the FAA registrations are far less than the number sold, maybe only 25% are registered. That means the other 75% have no clue on any rules nor do they care. Aside, never heard about the drone that fell and hit the woman in the head at a Florida beach and if that drone was traceable to the owner via the number.

Maybe need to pay the $5 for the FAA number first along with an easy "Yes or No" test on the current FAA rules, then use that to buy the thing since then they might know the basic rules of flying them.

Until the FAA trains and motivates local police to investigate and enforce the regulations, it will be up to the UAV Community to encourage registration and compliance. I don't see the FAA putting much time into local enforcement yet.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/suas-service-agreement/

Reactions: Santiego
What is most of the problem here in Canada are folks who go into a retailer and buy their drone. They then go out a fly without a clue regarding the regulations as simple as the 400 foot rule. Two recent encounters involve drones well outside of the 5 mile limit, with drones spotted by commercials at 6,000 feet and 7,000 feet on approach paths. My experience is that people are just curious and want to know more. My general approach is to land immediately, then take the time to be an ambassador for the sport. This was always true of my fixed wing RC experience since the 1970s and is even more applicable today with our rotorcraft experience. Safe, legal and happy flying folks.
," then take the time to be an ambassador for the sport" . I won't be this. I am not going to babysit idiots.

I have to be honest:
I've never had anyone come up to me and my drone and not be friendly, inquisitive or just flat out curious. Never had any a$$holes, wise@$$ negative or paranoid comments. Some stupid comments ("man, you should put a flamethrower on that!), but no nasty people.

Maybe I'm the exception?

So this past Saturday, i was out in a park on the edge of a 5 mile radius to a small airport, not a major airport by any means.

I literally had the drone in the air for no more than 5 minutes when i get approached by some random person asking if i called the airport. I didn't lie, i said i had not b/c i was not going to be here long, just showing some friends the phantom, and wanted to grab a few quick shots of the city off of the lake. Next thing i know he starts saying how people here will report me and that he wasn't going to do it, but that people here do that, and that it was cool as long as i was being safe. I was really annoyed, but remained calm, and just brought the drone back down and put it away.

I was away from people, not flying over or near anyone, i was out over the lake. This person literally walked up a hill from about a half mile away just to come harass me.

I guess i could have been wrong for not calling the airport, but i was on the very edge of the 5 mile radius, and was no more than 100 feet out and 200 feet up, it was very windy so i didnt plan on being there long at all.....

In the past I've only had people come up and ask questions and just be curious. Nothing like this guy....who comes up to a total stranger and starts preaching..... Whats the best way to handle this situation?

Its really annoying when i'm trying to focus on flying safely to be bothered by people.
Same happened to me but not as bad.
I was out flying with FPV headset. Drone at 150 ft in a park (just a small dot in the sky no sound audible). Perfectly legal. Dogs barking, motor bikes roaring. Got a tap on the shoulder by a young woman who said her piece of mind was disturbed by the drone and could I please stop!! Many folks are indifferent to it. Also I have found many are interested and want to know. This was the first negative response.

What kind of drone goes 6000 feet?

You will always get approached. Media and news has a done a great job making drones seem "evil".

How I would have handled your situation and any time I'm approached by someone regardless of what they say or ask - I always respond with, "I'm a responsible drone flier, I'm not breaking any laws, and I'm registered with the FAA. I'd love to chat but I need to focus on flying, if you'd like you can watch my screen and we can talk more after I land."

Works every time.
"I'm a responsible drone flier, I'm not breaking any laws, and I'm registered with the FAA. I'd love to chat but I need to focus on flying,

We should have that printed on the backs of our T-shirts!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kman
Did the rules change in the last year or so? I’m pretty sure the five miles is supposed to be an inverted cone. As you get farther away from the airport the higher you can fly. At five miles you can go to 400’, at 2 ½ miles you can go to 200’, etc.

Ed Fink
360 Degree Panoramas: Featured

If you are a hobbyist, you are most likely flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft which does require airport notification within a five mile radius. If you have passed the test and are flying under rule 107, you are flying based on airspace. Airspace around airports tends form an inverted cone formed of rings. In general, the further away from an airport, the less restrictive the airspace at the lower levels.

If you are a hobbyist, you are most likely flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft which does require airport notification within a five mile radius. If you have passed the test and are flying under rule 107, you are flying based on airspace. Airspace around airports tends form an inverted cone formed of rings. In general, the further away from an airport, the less restrictive the airspace at the lower levels.

I find the emphasized above to be incorrect.

The Rules you cited above contain the following:
"when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower … with prior notice of the operation…."

I get confused by this at times, b/c to my knowledge notifying the airport, this is a courtesy and technically is not required.

There's no room for ambiguity.
If you read the rule(s) it is quite clear.

107 requires written notification (website) and subsequent permission.

Hobby, just a notification.

i have a different attitude. if they're nice and curious have fun, if their being busy bodies ask them to see their badge or credentials otherwise tell them to **** off or you will have them arrested for harassing you. As long as you know your right. Tell them its none of their business what you do. I have had a similar problem duck hunting.
Now a days you have a lotta tv cop wanna be's. we live in a world of butt into someone else's business and tell them how to live and what to do. that's why i live way away from assholes like the one your talking about. I would tell them to **** off and mind thier own ******* business. The hell with being polite- their harassing you."And you never know when your drone is going to not respond to your controls and chase them away." OOPs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj