Which FPV system do you recommend?

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am a new Phantom pilot. I have the version 1 with a zenmuse h3-2d gimble and, of course, a gopro hero 3 black edition. My hobby is video editing. I didn't get into the phantom as a toy but more as a mount for my camera, BUT, I freakin love this flying machine. Anyhow, I've got the "bug" and now am ready to add a FPV system to my phantom. I'm leaning towards the Fatshark Predator v2 goggles because of price but would like to get your feedback on which system you like and why? Questions? Comments? Snide remarks? Go!!!

it depends on how you will be flying. if you are flying for fun and more "forward" flying then the goggles are great. If you are flying to do film work and will be doing "3D" flying then a screen is better.

The difference is whether or not you will be going in reverse. Obviously you can't see what is behind you if you are going backwards. The accidents that happen from FPV are from hitting things that are outside of the cameras view. If you are wearing goggles, you can't just lift your eyes and look up at the Phantom and say "oh wow, I'm about to back right into that tree" but you could if you had a screen.

In my opinion, that is really the big difference between the two, the ability to quickly see the phantom in the air (line of sight) without removing your goggles.

Ksc said:
it depends on how you will be flying. if you are flying for fun and more "forward" flying then the goggles are great. If you are flying to do film work and will be doing "3D" flying then a screen is better.

The difference is whether or not you will be going in reverse. Obviously you can't see what is behind you if you are going backwards. The accidents that happen from FPV are from hitting things that are outside of the cameras view. If you are wearing goggles, you can't just lift your eyes and look up at the Phantom and say "oh wow, I'm about to back right into that tree" but you could if you had a screen.

In my opinion, that is really the big difference between the two, the ability to quickly see the phantom in the air (line of sight) without removing your goggles.

That is a really good point. I do a lot of backwards flying so the goggles might not be suitable for my needs. Any recommendations for a screen?

jodaddy23 said:
search , this gets asked every couple of days ..

sorry to waste your time, I have searched but just wanted to ask my own question that was tailored specifically to what I was looking for. I thought that was what this forum was for, maybe not. I appreciate your remark though... thanks.

I just ordered a Boscam LCD5802 Monitor, Monitor Charger, and Boscam 400mw transmitter from below. It's the best price I found and it's free (slow) shipping, or they have VERY reasonable expedited shipping compared to sites like Helipal.
http://www.banggood.com/?zf=458557

I wanted a screen because I want others to be able to see the screen when flying. I also will not be flying BVR (beyond visual range) and will use my screen to set up photo and video shots. From my research the goggles are better if you want a better view because there is no screen washout due to the sun/reflection. I think they are the preferred choice if you are doing long flights bvr.

tgrizzle73 said:
jodaddy23 said:

sorry to waste your time, I have searched but just wanted to ask my own question that was tailored specifically to what I was looking for. I thought that was what this forum was for, maybe not. I appreciate your remark though... thanks.

Well you did ask for snide remarks and you got one. Anyway, the reason you'll get that response is it doesn't just get asked every couple of days, it seems like it gets asked every couple of minutes! We don't have an FPV sticky and probably should.

tgrizzle73 said:
Greetings,
I am a new Phantom pilot. I have the version 1 with a zenmuse h3-2d gimble and, of course, a gopro hero 3 black edition. My hobby is video editing. I didn't get into the phantom as a toy but more as a mount for my camera, BUT, I freakin love this flying machine. Anyhow, I've got the "bug" and now am ready to add a FPV system to my phantom. I'm leaning towards the Fatshark Predator v2 goggles because of price but would like to get your feedback on which system you like and why? Questions? Comments? Snide remarks? Go!!!

Not sure if you are still looking for opinions..
But if you are, I would highly reccomend getting the 7 inch Black Pearl monitor from Dronefly.com. The monitor is phenomenal, it's like watching a small tv while you're flying in the sky. The goggles are cool, but they do run the risk of running into things and having more accidents. I got my 7 inch monitor from Dronefly and I absolutely love it!

ianwood said:
tgrizzle73 said:
jodaddy23 said:

Well you did ask for snide remarks and you got one. Anyway, the reason you'll get that response is it doesn't just get asked every couple of days, it seems like it gets asked every couple of minutes! We don't have an FPV sticky and probably should.

a sticky would be nice but whos opinion are you going to go with ?

ps : more snidely remarks http://lmgtfy.com/?q=whats+the+best+FPV+for+phantom+2

jodaddy23,You are correct sir. I did ask for snide remarks and that is why I said I appreciated you're remark. I think I like you! Lol. Anyway, I think the goggles would be cool for "being cool" purposes but I really want the FPV for setting up shots for filming. That being said, I think I will go with your opinion and start googling for screens instead of goggles. But, I'm still up for questions, comments, and snide remarks. Go!!!

I have been wanting to ask the same question, but was chicken. ;)

There is tons here, for sure. But it seems like a lot of the info is for maximizing range of flight, as opposed to a basic setup that will use the GoPro feed and make it easy to compose photos/video, well within LOS flights.

I'm about to make the leap myself, and I think I am going to do this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

The ImmersionRC Tx seems popular here, it's small and lightweight and, perhaps, a little more powerful than the DJI avl58 option. (Looks like it is usually $69.) I do want to add the iosd mini for flight data (another $69). Couple these with a something like the Black Pearl monitor, tuned to the FatShark/Immersion channels and with a built-in receiver (the big ticket at $150-200), and, once you break out the soldering gun, you're all set. Looks doable.

I will probably go ahead and upgrade the antennae as well to those little round do-hickeys everybody likes, and then need to find a way to attach the monitor to the Phantom controller (like the GoPro tripod mount idea).

ghinson said:
I have been wanting to ask the same question, but was chicken. ;)

There is tons here, for sure. But it seems like a lot of the info is for maximizing range of flight, as opposed to a basic setup that will use the GoPro feed and make it easy to compose photos/video, well within LOS flights.

I'm about to make the leap myself, and I think I am going to do this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

The ImmersionRC Tx seems popular here, it's small and lightweight and, perhaps, a little more powerful than the DJI avl58 option. (Looks like it is usually $69.) I do want to add the iosd mini for flight data (another $69). Couple these with a something like the Black Pearl monitor, tuned to the FatShark/Immersion channels and with a built-in receiver (the big ticket at $150-200), and, once you break out the soldering gun, you're all set. Looks doable.

I will probably go ahead and upgrade the antennae as well to those little round do-hickeys everybody likes, and then need to find a way to attach the monitor to the Phantom controller (like the GoPro tripod mount idea).

Well... I have a hard time doing "searches" on this forum and I get frustrated so I just now ordered the Fatshark predator v2 system. apparently it has everything I need to get started. Paid $308 that included tax and shipping. Ordered from Hobby Wireless LLC. I guess what I liked about it is it's pretty much plug n play. I don't feel comfortable opening up my brand new phantom and start soldering on electrical wires just yet. There is also a video out port on the side of the goggles to connect a screen. As far as being a chicken about asking questions? You're always going to get that one or two persons on these forums that have nothing better to do than to tell you that that question has already been asked and "why the heck didn't you just search the forum?!" But then you are going to get responses from those that actually want to help and will generally point you in the right direction. So, don't be chicken... you are never going to meet these folks in person and who knows? You might just learn something. Anyway, I'm going to try out my fatsharks and take them to my local hobby shop and let them tell me what upgrades they recommend. Good luck to you.

That plug n play kit is tempting. I'm just not a goggles guy.. I suppose another almost plug and play option would be to use the DJI parts, their hub to plug it all in to, and the AVL58, the iosd mini (if desired) and something like the Boscam receiver/monitor.

While they look cool, I think goggles are NOT the way to go.
As the pilot, you need to not only know where the bird is, but you need to be aware of what's around you.
So how ya gonna see that giant bald eagle coming down to take your bird to dinner?
Or that 747 about to crash into it?

I use the v2 predators as well.
Probably upgrade the antennas now that I will be running a big battery(5400mah)
I take off and land with them on my forehead, level off at 100ft and just fly.
Just changed out my tiny OSD3 for an iOSD and can't wait to fly it again.

One piece of advice... Get an osd. You will love it.
Preferably an iOSD because you can add it to the phantoms CANbus with a PMU or upgrade MC board.

OK. Did the install. Wasn't too tough (and I have little experience soldering). Looks good with only the video tx sitting on the bottom of the Phantom. Hardly any wires. I velcroed the IRC Tx there so that, if I need to remove it for any reason, it's easy to do so.

Did the install last night after dark and, to this point, have only done a 3 minute backyard flight. But everything works. I just went with the stock antenna on both the Tx and the BP monitor receiver. In the yard, I flew to about 100m away, and def notice some dropout here and there, e.g., when the Phantom turned. But the video quality for my purposes (framing aerial video) is OK.

I know that, down the road, I'll either upgrade the antenna or get the IRC Uno receiver to replace the BP one, since it's supposed to be a big improvement. But this will work, and I am excited to get out there. Now. Wind. Go away!

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
in defense of the OP who got attacked, the search function on this site is practically useless

Thank you... I find that the search feature on most forums is difficult. That's why I am appreciative that there are folks on this forum that have a genuine desire to help out us newbies. For the most part, I go down to my local hobby shop here in Lewisville called Aero Hobbies. The owner, Andy, has been extremely helpful only he's not around at 2am and that's when I come here for answers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl