Which range extender do you recommend?

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a phantom 4 and I love it. I have done the 32 channel mod and that is about all at this point. I fly in and around my neighborhood and get around a .47-.54 mile range depending on which direction I fly. My goal would be to have a mile of clear signal without the house and tree interference; I am between two different boosters/ extenders and I am wondering if anyone has any input on which may be best to get to my distance goal. I have added the links to the two I am looking at below. I appreciate everyone's help and input in advanced.

1. DJI - EvoLite Kit Plus
2. Phantom 4 FireBridge Technology Remote: Signal Booster Range Extender

I have read about those a lot and have considered them, I am just not sure if they could get the range I am looking for. I may try them just to see since they are cheaper.

You will get all the range you need with them trust me or trust Ken =)

Reactions: uavflyr and RECON-5
Is there anywhere I can find data on various boosters, where they show the radiation patterns of their products? I am really curious as to how the directional pattern changes on these simple reflectors, from the standard omnidirectional signal of the stock antennas on the P4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you buy an Inspire controller (GL658) and use the Windsurfer you can get three miles, or two miles without. That's what I use all the time. The GL300C that comes with P4 is anemic.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I have recently purchased a phantom 4 and I love it. I have done the 32 channel mod and that is about all at this point. I fly in and around my neighborhood and get around a .47-.54 mile range depending on which direction I fly. My goal would be to have a mile of clear signal without the house and tree interference; I am between two different boosters/ extenders and I am wondering if anyone has any input on which may be best to get to my distance goal. I have added the links to the two I am looking at below. I appreciate everyone's help and input in advanced.

1. DJI - EvoLite Kit Plus
2. Phantom 4 FireBridge Technology Remote: Signal Booster Range Extender
Too much money for those. I use the copper reflective attachments...$25.00 and get double what I did without them.

I just bought these and so far so good for my P3P.

SKYREAT Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4 Phantom 4 Pro Phantom 3 Pro Advanced Inspire 1 Controller Transmitter Signal Extend ( Amazon.com: SKYREAT Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4 Phantom 4 Pro Phantom 3 Pro Advanced Inspire 1 Controller Transmitter Signal Extend (2 pcs): Electronics

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I personally like the kind that folds when stored. These keep the antennas parallel with installed. They also have a top and bottom antenna hole mounts to insure the reflector is parallel to the antenna to optimize gathering and reflection of signals to the antenna.

Hello,
Will these give me a stronger signal overall? I'm not a distance flyer, but I do want a strong signal.
Thank you,
Terry
No. They will not give you a "stronger signal". They will focus the signal coming from the antennas forward, and more focused while maintaining LOS. Not recommended if you intend on flying overhead and behind you.
They definitely work. Get the fixed, foldable type to keep antennas together and in an optimal position. Under $20 (US). I have reached over 10,000 ft while using these and still good signal.

Sent from my Current position

Wow this is some great information, I think I will try the wind surfers and if that does not achieve my goal I will look into other controllers or range mods.

I'm using the skyreats on my P4, and the only issue I have is that you have to MAKE SURE you are always pointed at your aircraft or you lose signal. If you are flying almost overhead, the DJI site says the RC antennas should be HORIZONTAL to the ground for the best signal to the aircraft -- if you are using the Skyreats, (and pointing the antennas horizontally) you will be directing most of the energy at the ground, not the bird (something to keep in mind).

Ive tried a few- The parabolic ( while cost effective) focuses the signal like the basic dbs maxx.. the dbs is $100 and i got more range from it then parabolics in the city- the DBS is easier to focus the signal and bounce the signal between buildings ( in the city) ..plus the dbs doesnt cheapen the look of a $1700 Phantom 4 Pro.. have to admit parabolics look very "Mickey Mouse"..

Everyone says Parabolics are close to the range of a standalone DBS ( meaning the dbs antenna only) and thats only true when testing in the country where its flat and less obstructions and less wifi..

Most importanly: The original poster mentioned the evolight kit ( in the options of what he should get)

The Evolight is MUCH better the the parabolics or the DBS.. because it actually does boost the signal.. the Evo kit has TWO 3 watt boosters and a battery .. giving you 6 watts of extra signal.. the EVO will get better range anywhere because it boost the signal by 6 watts and has an extra battery plus pairs all that with the DBS antenna to also focus that boosted signal

Last edited:
No. They will not give you a "stronger signal". They will focus the signal coming from the antennas forward, and more focused while maintaining LOS. Not recommended if you intend on flying overhead and behind you.
They definitely work. Get the fixed, foldable type to keep antennas together and in an optimal position. Under $20 (US). I have reached over 10,000 ft while using these and still good signal.

Sent from my Current position

Wrong, parabolics and the "basic" dbs focus the signal...

He mentioned the EVO light kit above..

The Evolight kit contains TWO 3 watt boosters and a battery and pairs that signal boosting (6 watts more) with the DBS maxx antenna ( The DBS antenna by itself, would focus the signal like parabolics without looking so cheap ***)....But in this case the DBS is getting a boosted "stronger" signal to the drone ... not just a focused signal...

The point is parabolics dont match all range extenders - because the better kits DO boost the radio signal to make it stronger.. this is why the DBS range extending kit ( a basic focused antenna) is $100... versus the EVOlight kit (which again DOES put out a stronger signal ) cost $300...

Ive used parabolics and they dont begin to touch a boosted EVO "in the city" -where other signals /wifi drown out parabolics quick.. parabolics only work decent where its flat and where there is little interference..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bckmstr
I haven't used either one. But if we're not trying to "max out" our range, I would think the parabolics give just a little signal kick. Maybe not extend the range but keep a better signal on normal distance flights. Maybe??

I haven't used either one. But if we're not trying to "max out" our range, I would think the parabolics give just a little signal kick. Maybe not extend the range but keep a better signal on normal distance flights. Maybe??

I don't think anyone disagrees with that general statement, but you have to remember - like many who don't remember - my answer was to the original poster - who didn't ask "What if I want just a little kick?"

His question was which of the extenders ( he had listed ) would one recommend. He didn't say he was concerned about money. If he list an Evolight ( which he does - this means he is willing and has the money ).. I again recommended Evo since it's not just a signal focuser ( like the parabolic) .. The Evolight makes the signal stronger with two signal boosters, plus has a DBS antenna ( which like the parabolic ) focuses the signal so you can point it... Double the effect

Reactions: schlepprock
I got the dbs2 antenna without the booster, I figured if I needed the boosters it's a easy add on. I have parabolics and the dbs2 are much better, so good I don't need the boosters yet. I plan to get the booster part soon as I would like more signal penetration because I like to fly in the bush from the forest floor with very small clearings. Just the antenna with a clear flight path in a clean environment can take you further than the batteries can bring you back. Remember that boosters amplify your signal and all the other ones coming in too, if your flying in dirty air boosters may not improve that much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl