Videos being posted showing quad flying over crowds-

Instigating an argument is not allowed. If you can't keep it civil and constructive, don't post.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
But your missing the point....no matter what regulations or licenses are required, they are still way more dangerous then my Phantom. And, insurance doesn't prevent damages or death.
You are absolutely right. Insurance doesn't prevent damages or death (it attempts to mitigate it).

Only avoiding flying over crowds prevents damages or death.

Reactions: dirkclod
I usually yell. FOOOOOOOOORE!!!!! Just like when I'm golfing. [emoji12]
It's only a matter of time before a golf ball kills someone. Oh, wait, it already happens a few times every year. We should ban golfing. [link]. Yet, with hundreds of thousands of hours of small personal drone flight, there is not one, NOT ONE verified report of a personal drone crash causing a serious injury as defined by the FAA to someone not associated with the flight.

"HE FLEW OVER A CROWD- EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE", the drone-phobic public takes this to mean that flying over a crowd is certain death. Hysterical responses of "OHMYGOD HE DID SOMETHING STUPID - OUR HOBBY IS OVER" are, well, stupid. It only shows how little you know how rules are made by the FAA.

The fear and ignorance surrounding small personal drones echoes of the vaporous panic with which history’s fools have greeted nearly every technological advance from the printing press to the Internet. It's the same panic that fear mongerers prophesied that the world would go to hell in wheelbarrow when Henry Ford put his mass produced autos out on the street to contend with horses and buggies. Probably the same guy who proclaimed in 1888 that all personal privacy would be gone forever if Kodak were allowed to put its new inexpensive cameras out on the market.

(I stole that quote because it is so masterful - would the guilty party please step forward?)

I wold blame everything on Dirk :D
Been flying RC's for a long time only in the past around 3 years has all this paranoia started mostly because of the news hyping up stories (not saying all are false) but the media has done its job anyone seeing a UAV of any type is up to no good . This forum use to be about help and how to's now it turns into arguments witch is fine but every news story about a moron doing something wrong spins into the same BS .
I would say most that are here are doing the best they can to be safe and the ones doing wrong do not even read forums or care so when the FAA gets up to speed with Technology the morons will not stop doing wrong . We will still see these story's the bad guys do not care about rules and laws . You can put THIS COULD HAPPEN on most things in life . Anyhow continue on with the name calling it's helping :rolleyes:

I wold blame everything on Dirk :D
Been flying RC's for a long time only in the past around 3 years has all this paranoia started mostly because of the news hyping up stories (not saying all are false) but the media has done its job anyone seeing a UAV of any type is up to no good . This forum use to be about help and how to's now it turns into arguments witch is fine but every news story about a moron doing something wrong spins into the same BS .
I would say most that are here are doing the best they can to be safe and the ones doing wrong do not even read forums or care so when the FAA gets up to speed with Technology the morons will not stop doing wrong . We will still see these story's the bad guys do not care about rules and laws . You can put THIS COULD HAPPEN on most things in life . Anyhow continue on with the name calling it's helping :rolleyes:
blank stare.png
Huh...do what ! :D

Reactions: 750r
It's only a matter of time before a golf ball kills someone. Oh, wait, it already happens a few times every year. We should ban golfing. [link]. Yet, with hundreds of thousands of hours of small personal drone flight, there is not one, NOT ONE verified report of a personal drone crash causing a serious injury as defined by the FAA to someone not associated with the flight.

"HE FLEW OVER A CROWD- EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE", the drone-phobic public takes this to mean that flying over a crowd is certain death. Hysterical responses of "OHMYGOD HE DID SOMETHING STUPID - OUR HOBBY IS OVER" are, well, stupid. It only shows how little you know how rules are made by the FAA.

The fear and ignorance surrounding small personal drones echoes of the vaporous panic with which history’s fools have greeted nearly every technological advance from the printing press to the Internet. It's the same panic that fear mongerers prophesied that the world would go to hell in wheelbarrow when Henry Ford put his mass produced autos out on the street to contend with horses and buggies. Probably the same guy who proclaimed in 1888 that all personal privacy would be gone forever if Kodak were allowed to put its new inexpensive cameras out on the market.

(I stole that quote because it is so masterful - would the guilty party please step forward?)
I'm pretty sure if I stand in the middle of my street and practice my drive, I might have a problem with the neighbors and the police. I'm quite sure that is why golf is limited to golf courses and driving ranges. Large fences surround the driving ranges to protect the crowds.
Good analogy Steve. Just as golf is restricted to safe areas, so should flying a drone.
I'm sure the young lady knocked unconscious by the falling Phantom at the parade here in
Seattle last month would agree with you, "Fly like your a Golf Ball! Over open fields and not crowds!"

Just as golf is restricted to safe areas, so should flying a drone.
What, no commercial use? I pretty much have to fly over a house to get photos of it.
If I only flew here, no realtor would ever hire me:
Desert-450x232.jpg

Reactions: Options
One day people will crowd around the drone course and watch me take off like I'm Tiger Woods smacking a golf ball with all my might and they won't care if my Phantom hits them in the face. They will have souvenir scars. I can see it all now... [emoji39]

Last edited:
What, no commercial use? I pretty much have to fly over a house to get photos of it.
If I only flew here, no realtor would ever hire me:
Desert-450x232.jpg
I think a house filmed for a realtor's add most likely has had any occupants forewarned
that a drone would be flying over, perhaps even back and forth. I consider that a safe place and not analogous to a parade or community fair full of people who have no control or forewarning that a toy made in China, weighing several pounds and traveling fairly fast, piloted remotely by someone who may have little prior experience, controlled by sometimes unreliable and unpredictable electronics, will be flying above them.

Last edited:
One day people will crowd around the drone course and watch me take off like I'm Tiger Woods smacking a gold ball with all my might and they won't care if my Phantom hits them in the face. They will have souvenir scars. I can see it all now... [emoji39]
I don't think we will be limited to where we can fly our drones in that regard, or to that extent. But I do think that people will line up to see drone racing on a course like they do to watch speed trials or Moto X.

Reactions: acherman
1000 kids at Easter Egg Hunt this year and was videoing it for the preacher. Wanted to be straight over the field in front
of the Church as It would have looked cool getting them running for the eggs . Didn't feel right about it so moved 200' from the edge and went up 249' and just hovered till the signal for them to run into the field for all the prizes . Kids were running and I was videoing and I heard my quad just go quiet ! Looked up and it passed me coming down and hit not more than 4' from me right on the edge of the road .I mean it came down fast and hard ! mia.jpg Was lucky it didn't hit me . Now had I been over those little kids bending over and it hit one of them in the back of the head It is no doubt in my mind it would have been terrible .
Now you'll can say what you want and get mad or whatever but this changed the whole way I do fly now .
It is not cool or worth what could have happened just to get That Shot !
Back then I would have put that video up and been proud of it .Not now
I guess ya just have to really see this happen for it to hit home .
Don't matter if it's legal to do it just saying it's stupid to fly over crowds !
Just my rant !

Is there room for another soap box??

Did you figure out what happened?!

1000 kids at Easter Egg Hunt this year and was videoing it for the preacher. Wanted to be straight over the field in front
of the Church as It would have looked cool getting them running for the eggs . Didn't feel right about it so moved 200' from the edge and went up 249' and just hovered till the signal for them to run into the field for all the prizes . Kids were running and I was videoing and I heard my quad just go quiet ! Looked up and it passed me coming down and hit not more than 4' from me right on the edge of the road .I mean it came down fast and hard ! View attachment 26488 Was lucky it didn't hit me . Now had I been over those little kids bending over and it hit one of them in the back of the head It is no doubt in my mind it would have been terrible .
Now you'll can say what you want and get mad or whatever but this changed the whole way I do fly now .
Don't matter if it's legal to do it just saying it's stupid to fly over crowds !
Just my rant !

Battery wire came loose from board was the best I could see but a lot came lose after it hit .

Last edited:
I don't think we will be limited to where we can fly our drones in that regard, or to that extent. But I do think that people will line up to see drone racing on a course like they do to watch speed trials or Moto X.
They already do line up. Get out from under that rock.

of the Church as It would have looked cool getting them running for the eggs . Didn't feel right about it so moved 200' from the edge and went up 249' and just hovered till the signal for them to run into the field for all the prizes . Kids were running and I was videoing and I heard my quad just go quiet ! Looked up and it passed me coming down and hit not more than 4' from me right on the edge of the road .I mean it came down fast and hard ! View attachment 26488 Was lucky it didn't hit me . Now had I been over those little kids bending over and it hit one of them in the back of the head It is no doubt in my mind it would have been terrible .
Just my rant !

Great story.
A lesson for everyone at your 'expense'. Thank you for sharing.

Epiphany comes to mind.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl