Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

gen3benz said:
First flight with the 5400mah G8 thunderpower.
(my fiance found my tp balance adapter cable!)

8" P1 props/nuts
FPV, gopro,iosd,v2 led, NO gimbal, shhhweet D3wey P2 battery door/LED mount/frame'ish
AUW 1123 grams

18mins 39secs
Landed after seeing the first red flashes....but went a bit too long. Especially for the first flight...
Voltage after 5 mins 11.07 :| 3.68 3.68 3.71
Not too happy about going over but with the 8" props i'm happy with the flight time.
This is pretty much chill flying as well, no big amp draws.
Should I adjust the first level protection, loaded to 11.0v?

Very nice results! Will you be flying a gimbal or is this your final config?

I'm curious to see what your charger reports in mah returned. Also, what was the recovery rate? Were you also at ~11.1 on landing or did it bounce up a few tenths?

ElGuano said:

I'm curious to see what your charger reports in mah returned. Also, what was the recovery rate? Were you also at ~11.1 on landing or did it bounce up a few tenths?
I will probably get a gimbal in the future, video looks much nicer.
Forgot to look at the mah returned though. Should I only charge it to 3.85 per cell(11.55) or give it a full charge every time?
On landing I think it was 11.05 or so. I will give it another flight tomorrow.

gen3benz said:
ElGuano said:

I will probably get a gimbal in the future, video looks much nicer.
Forgot to look at the mah returned though. Should I only charge it to 3.85 per cell(11.55) or give it a full charge every time?
On landing I think it was 11.05 or so. I will give it another flight tomorrow.

If you're going to fly within 2 days, it's probably not worth dealing with storage voltage, I would just let them rest at 11.1. That's perfectly fine for short periods. Charge the day of flight or night before. If you're going months without flying, then you want to make sure your cells aren't so low that they might drop down past the danger point.

ElGuano said:
If you're going to fly within 2 days, it's probably not worth dealing with storage voltage, I would just let them rest at 11.1. That's perfectly fine for short periods. Charge the day of flight or night before. If you're going months without flying, then you want to make sure your cells aren't so low that they might drop down past the danger point.
Alright, good to know. Can't wait to fly again. 18mins is so much better than 7. Hopefully have CF props on it tomorrow.

BTW, I used the 2200 to do the IMU warmup. I doubt that drains too much but I am going to use it every time anyways.

gen3benz said:
Can't wait to fly again. 18mins is so much better than 7. Hopefully have CF props on it tomorrow.

Take some video of that baby in action... I would love to see your P1 flying as a P1.5...
Is it still pretty nimble with the center weight of that huge battery?
How long does it take to charge the battery, gen3benz?

PJA said:
Take some video of that baby in action... I would love to see your P1 flying as a P1.5...
Is it still pretty nimble with the center weight of that huge battery?
How long does it take to charge the battery, gen3benz?
I'll get some vid, too dark last night.
It seems to fly pretty close to stock, but I didnt get to hammer the throttle as i'm babying this 5800 for a few flights.
Dont know how long an 11.1 to 12.6 charge takes yet, I will let you know probably tomorrow. As well as the mah returned.

Sounds like some good testing there. Will be interesting to see how the CG's work out. Personally I'd also consider some 9" Tri-blades as they seems to be good for a spot of weight lifting (though whether that will help battery drain who knows... the math suggests it might not).

I havn't flown for like 4 weeks now which is annoying me! A stupid work commitment got in the way of a gorgeous calm and sunny Saturday too.

Other tan designing the only thing I managed to do was enter the ImmersionRC competition with my commical twist on 'the crash' (first ever P1.5 to have a documented crash which I feel deserves a reward :lol: ).

Would greatly appreciate a positive vote if you guys are feeling generous :D (If I win the Ez-UHF kit I can design Phantom mounts around it!).

Of course you may also decide to enter the competition too and hence give me a crap vote... but hey its worth a risk I guess :lol:

http://www.immersionrc.com/video-submissions.php?page=2 - my video is "FPV.... the wrong way" (pic of rail tracks will look familiar!). Some good vids on there!

OI Photography said:
Voted ;)

(for you, I mean)

You sir are a gent! I think it is safe to say I won't be winning it this month but still it was worth a punt. Next step is entering the competition to design a new logo for this Forum :)

ElGuano - any word on them cracking the P2 handshake? I havn't dipped my head into that RC Groups forum in a while but I seem to recall you were keeping up to speed with it all?

DeweyAXD said:
OI Photography said:
Voted ;)

(for you, I mean)

You sir are a gent! I think it is safe to say I won't be winning it this month but still it was worth a punt. Next step is entering the competition to design a new logo for this Forum :)

ElGuano - any word on them cracking the P2 handshake? I havn't dipped my head into that RC Groups forum in a while but I seem to recall you were keeping up to speed with it all?

Sadly, progress has stalled. Tiago found that the smart chip doesn't keep logic in volatile memory so it's possible to swap it to a new pack. But doing so is a manual process and requires a full charge to reset the datalog. As it stands, P2 owners are still best off using the smart battery. P1.5 owners have more options!

Ahhh ok - I would have been blown over if DJI used volatile memorey on a battery. Would have made it a nightmare to manufacture as they'd all need hooking into tested cells before programming (though I guess the logic behind doing so makes sense when you should never let it discharge fully).

So now I guess we wait for an Arduino boffin to emulate the smart chips output on a Nano board or something similar... Lets hope they aren't using an algorythemic based 'hand shake' or it may simply never get cracked. Viva la P1.5 I guess for now :D

DeweyAXD said:
Ahhh ok - I would have been blown over if DJI used volatile memorey on a battery. Would have made it a nightmare to manufacture as they'd all need hooking into tested cells before programming (though I guess the logic behind doing so makes sense when you should never let it discharge fully).

So now I guess we wait for an Arduino boffin to emulate the smart chips output on a Nano board or something similar... Lets hope they aren't using an algorythemic based 'hand shake' or it may simply never get cracked. Viva la P1.5 I guess for now :D

It doesn't look like there is an encrypted handshake or challenge-response. But I think the next step definitely requires someone getting ahold of hardware to write to. I'll stick with the Naza-M for the time being :)

OI Photography said:
Voted ;)

(for you, I mean)

+1

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it!

No idea how they are going to deal with picking a winner. It is a somewhat flawed system of voting really as you say as you can have 5 out of 5 over 10 votes when others have 3 out of five from 100! I'm guessing they will just pick the winner out of the top 20 highest voted/highest starred ones (or just pick their favourite!). Still you can't win the lottery if you don't have a ticket as they say :lol:

I tried to come up with an idea to save some room under the hood when using 2 lipo batteries...

Major FAIL!!!

Using an Xt60 'Y' connector adds extra wires to the connection. So I bought an Xt60 no wire 'Y' connector, thinking it would save more room to close the P2 d3wey door easier... NOT! As you can see by the pics I posted, it won't work...

13117079133_7e2f8f21f2_c.jpg

Back to the drawing board...

PJA said:
Back to the drawing board...

I owe you a beer for saving me that test, thank you. I figured those might be the results but had planned to try anyway...not any longer though. I want to have an quick easy way to throw in two 2200mAh batts as an emergency backup solution. Good thing Dewey put the big holes in the sides of the doors.

Speaking of which, here's a teaser from today's delivery:
2eOdm3sl.jpg

Flight 2 with the 5400....failure
Balanced and fitted my 9x5 carbon props.
Got about 12.5 mins in and was taking it easy just going back and forth at a park. Lots of soft grass....thankfully. Out of nowhere it started wobbling around and losing altitude, gave it more thottle and nothing. Almost landed it, but it fell on its side, but I had throttled it down.

So I installed the 8" P1 props again and it flew fine.
Got the battery down to 11.19v
I will see how long a 1C charge takes and mah returned.

Now to find a campfire to throw these props in...
I'm guessing they are the problem, but dont know what happened. Prop nuts were much looser than before flight. Just glad I chose the park for the test flights.

gen3benz said:
Balanced and fitted my 9x5 carbon props.

Out of nowhere it started wobbling around and losing altitude,

Sorry to hear that! What props are these? And how was the Phantom wobbling? Have you changed any gains after moving to the new battery and props?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carloansales