Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

ElGuano said:
If the rest of your batteries are JST-XH, I'd highly recommend re-crimping the TP's balance leads to match. Adapters are a pain in the butt, and it sucks if you forget or lose them.
You're right as always. I already lost(and found) my adapter.....it did suck. Gonna solder a JST to my battery now. Really want to look into that crimper you posted up to make my own micro connectors. These arduino ones I made(LED and gopro) are pretty bulky, but work for now.

While certainly no expert on lipo batteries, it is my understanding that the higher "C" rating is for continuous draw- and since lipos do not truly take into consideration burst draw, personally I want a solid and over rated- over engineered capability in my "engine" in case of emergency or the desire to "twist the throttle" and make it dart at it's best possible rate of maneuver if I have to avoid an obstacle suddenly. I would assume that some hard pulls on the stick and some heavy handed flying styles may find those lower c ratings lacking- but I could be understanding the demands of the Phantom wrong. I do know more weight is going to demand more draw, and pull more faster when climbing or banking... it may not matter if you fly at Geritol rated speeds (which I do mostly)

Hiway said:
While certainly no expert on lipo batteries, it is my understanding that the higher "C" rating is for continuous draw- and since lipos do not truly take into consideration burst draw, personally I want a solid and over rated- over engineered capability in my "engine" in case of emergency or the desire to "twist the throttle" and make it dart at it's best possible rate of maneuver if I have to avoid an obstacle suddenly. I would assume that some hard pulls on the stick and some heavy handed flying styles may find those lower c ratings lacking- but I could be understanding the demands of the Phantom wrong. I do know more weight is going to demand more draw, and pull more faster when climbing or banking... it may not matter if you fly at Geritol rated speeds (which I do mostly)

Hi Hiway. Your intuition is good, but let's see if the numbers bear it out for a Phantom. If you normally get 10 minutes of easy flight/hover, can get you still get 5 minutes of continuous high-energy sport flight on the same config? Let's stipulate that you can. Now, consider that a 2200mah 20C battery is designed to discharge 100% of its power in as little as three minutes. So its constant discharge ceiling exceeds even the average of our burst requirements. And in normal flight, that 10 minutes is drawing at a mere 6C rate from the battery.

Of course, not all batteries are the same, the max discharge rate isn't as efficient as a lower rate nor is it as good for the long-term health of the battery, and you can easily see the difference in voltage sag at WOT between different and even same rated packs (DJI 20C? Fantastic. Zippy Compact 25C? The worst I've ever seen. Maddog 25C? Amazing). But I'm not worried about a 20C 2200 or a 10C 4400 with respect to needing power for emergency maneuvers.

Just some food for thought when considering that $30 65C 200g battery over an equivalent $15 20C 170g battery.

ElGuano said:
Hiway said:

Hi Hiway. Your intuition is good, but let's see if the numbers bear it out for a Phantom. If you normally get 10 minutes of easy flight/hover, can get you still get 5 minutes of continuous high-energy sport flight on the same config? Let's stipulate that you can. Now, consider that a 2200mah 20C battery is designed to discharge 100% of its power in as little as three minutes. So its constant discharge ceiling exceeds even the average of our burst requirements. And in normal flight, that 10 minutes is drawing at a mere 6C rate from the battery.

Of course, not all batteries are the same, the max discharge rate isn't as efficient as a lower rate nor is it as good for the long-term health of the battery, and you can easily see the difference in voltage sag at WOT between different and even same rated packs (DJI 20C? Fantastic. Zippy Compact 25C? The worst I've ever seen. Maddog 25C? Amazing). But I'm not worried about a 20C 2200 or a 10C 4400 with respect to needing power for emergency maneuvers.

Just some food for thought when considering that $30 65C 200g battery over an equivalent $15 20C 170g battery.

Hiway, you can kind of think of the C rating of your batt like the fuel pump on your bike. The 20C rated "fuel pumps" can feed your engine faster than your throttle can suck it down, even if you pushed it at redline till the tank was empty.

Many thanks El G and Ol Photo for the schooling on lipos and C ratings and how they apply to the Phantom use- I am a bit slow on the draw (pun?) but I come around eventually.

PJA said:
Take some video of that baby in action...
Took some video Saturday but the jello was pretty unbearable, never seemed too bad before the big battery. It's time to invest in a gimbal. Also want to ditch these vtx whip antennas.

Flew it again today after adjusting voltage warnings and flew for...
16m 50s
Landing V 11.24, resting V 11.28
Wish I had charged my gopro battery, thought I would be fine but it died after the short 2200 battery flight. Was in a really nice mountain range and wanted to fpv. Now I know it doesn't last for crap.

OI Photography said:
Could I use one of these to connect a regular (XT60) batt to the IPC? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECT-CONNECT- ... 0801426220

No sadly not.... the terminal holes are way too small for the IPC spades. I think me and PJA(?) both got one of these and they don't even hold the Traxx connectors in place in the way they should. Better to solder directly to the back of the IPC spades IMO

DeweyAXD said:
OI Photography said:
Could I use one of these to connect a regular (XT60) batt to the IPC? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECT-CONNECT- ... 0801426220

No sadly not.... the terminal holes are way too small for the IPC spades. I think me and PJA(?) both got one of these and they don't even hold the Traxx connectors in place in the way they should. Better to solder directly to the back of the IPC spades IMO

Cool, that's kinda what I figured but wanted to check. I went pouring over all your buildblog entries again and didn't see it used so I expected it was too good to be true.

FYI my 5400mAh TP batt is on the way from that seller on ebay, they were willing to take $105 for it. I have a backlog of other pics and stuff to post here too, I'll try to get caught up today :cool:

OI Photography said:
FYI my 5400mAh TP batt is on the way from that seller on ebay, they were willing to take $105 for it. I have a backlog of other pics and stuff to post here too, I'll try to get caught up today :cool:
****, looks like no more $100 deals. Hopefully EGs walkera 5200, turns out good.
Hobbyking $44!! plus $11.49 shipping :shock:
Still cheaper than $66 on ebay
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0_PRO.html
They are stating 317 grams.
Length-A(mm) 103
Height-B(mm) 34
Width-C(mm) 42

Edit:
Just offered $55 on this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-QR-X350 ... fresh=true

OI Photography said:

Not Happening, OI...

12622802293_36b9ff890a_z.jpg

gen3benz said:
OI Photography said:
****, looks like no more $100 deals. Hopefully EGs walkera 5200, turns out good.
Hobbyking $44!! plus $11.49 shipping :shock:
Still cheaper than $66 on ebay
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 0_PRO.html
They are stating 317 grams.
Length-A(mm) 103
Height-B(mm) 34
Width-C(mm) 42

Edit:
Just offered $55 on this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-QR-X350 ... fresh=true

If these batteries pan out, you might as well take the P2 spades out of the shell...what's the point :)

Mine are still in shipping limbo. Sigh.

ElGuano said:
If these batteries pan out, you might as well take the P2 spades out of the shell...what's the point :)

Mine are still in shipping limbo. Sigh.
Yeah, I dont see P2 batteries going down to $60-65 anytime soon....if ever.
Seller counter offered $63. He added "If you buy more than 2 piece, i can give you some discount"

Edit:
Ordered one from hobbyking for $55.21 shipped. Should see it early 2015 :lol:

I counter offered $56 and told him. "I can buy this battery for $55.21 at hobbyking. Why pay more?"
Then he accepted my $56 offer. So now I have 2 walkera 5200s coming... :lol:

I am getting all confused... I need some help for my Phantom 1.5 from my 'P1 to P1.5' forum friends.....

I bought the Zenmuse upgrade board kit and the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal. I can't seem to find a decent YouTube video to make the transition easy... Anyone who posted a Zenmuse Gimbal install video, did it with the original Phantom 1 board. Anyone who posted videos that show the Zenmuse Kit being installed, doesn't show the Gimbal H3-2D being installed...

My question is (and I think I know the answer already, but need confirmation), After installing the upgrade kit, I don't need to install the GCU V1 unit, since it should be integrated in the board... Am I right??? That's the piece that's confusing me. The GCU V1 unit was included in the box with the Zenmuse Gimbal...

Any help with this would be appreciated...

You'll still get yours before me. Not even showing up in postal tracking yet :/

PJA said:
I am getting all confused... I need some help for my Phantom 1.5 from my 'P1 to P1.5' forum friends.....

I bought the Zenmuse upgrade board kit and the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal. I can't seem to find a decent YouTube video to make the transition easy... Anyone who posted a Zenmuse Gimbal install video, did it with the original Phantom 1 board. Anyone who posted videos that show the Zenmuse Kit being installed, doesn't show the Gimbal H3-2D being installed...

My question is (and I think I know the answer already, but need confirmation), After installing the upgrade kit, I don't need to install the GCU V1 unit, since it should be integrated in the board... Am I right??? That's the piece that's confusing me. The GCU V1 unit was included in the box with the Zenmuse Gimbal...

Any help with this would be appreciated...

Correct, you toss the GCU V1 (or find whoever's willing to buy it for $80 or whatever it's selling for) when you use the upgrade board. The Zenmuse has an 8-pin cable that originally goes from the gimbal to the GCU. That cable now goes from the gimbal to the appropriate socket on the upgrade board.

ElGuano said:
Correct, you toss the GCU V1 (or find whoever's willing to buy it for $80 or whatever it's selling for) when you use the upgrade board. The Zenmuse has an 8-pin cable that originally goes from the gimbal to the GCU. That cable now goes from the gimbal to the appropriate socket on the upgrade board.

That cable is an 8 pin Black Cable... Thank You Very Much, Mr. ElGuano... You are the best!!!

Here is a picture of my P1 in a P2 which equals a P1.5...

This is it so far... Waiting for the Anti-Gravity Tiger Motors...

13319858525_2dc4f0fc3c_o.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klik4d