Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

ElGuano said:
Sorry to hear that! What props are these? And how was the Phantom wobbling? Have you changed any gains after moving to the new battery and props?
ebay 9050 carbon fiber props, neewer brand, $14
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310846576790?ss ... 1439.l2649
No more cheap props for me.

Got the phantom about 200 ft away in course lock mode. I think I started bringing it back to me and it just rolled to one side and back to the other, back and forth, losing altitude. Until finally it hit the ground on its gear and fell over. Never adjusted any gains.
Also flew it ~6.5 mins on the 2200 to see how the props would be. No drifting after the balancing.

I was taking it nice and easy, pretty much going in circles in a grassy field. Was going to adjust gains after...but I think i'm going to smash them with a hammer :lol:

Those are graupner e-prop style. Some people fly them fine, but others report that they don't have enough surface area to lift a loaded Phantom adequately...I would think of all props, that style requires gain adjustment.

Oh well, it sounds like nothing was terribly damaged, which is great news. And genuine DJI props don't exactly cost a fortune (they're the same price as my cf knockoffs), so it's hard not to recommend them.

gen3benz said:
Flight 2 with the 5400....failure
Balanced and fitted my 9x5 carbon props.
Got about 12.5 mins in and was taking it easy just going back and forth at a park. Lots of soft grass....thankfully. Out of nowhere it started wobbling around and losing altitude, gave it more thottle and nothing. Almost landed it, but it fell on its side, but I had throttled it down.

So I installed the 8" P1 props again and it flew fine.

I had a similar issue but with P2 props - they lifted it ok and flight was ok but landing was a challenge - the wash was killing me bringing it down. Threw stock props on it - smooth sailing, labored a little more with stock props but nothing major.

Ques: are you running IOSD watching voltage drop vs flight time?

I bought a set of these from a guy in Florida; http://www.ebay.com/itm/281233031903?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

My Phantom weight is @1250 grams and it lifts off fine, cruises very smoothly, very agile and I have no problems landing... I also had to balance them myself...

Maybe you just got a set of bad knock-offs...

Try the guy in FLA... I also bought a spare set from him because I liked them so much...

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say the eBay guy is in California... not Florida... My Bad!

Thanks.. I'll try them

I have those CF 9443s as well. Mine are from a guy in Ohio and not FL, and are 15g a pair instead of 21g, but they're essentially the same thing. They work great, but MUST be balanced. Definitely better than Graupner-style props.

9" props are by nature a bit more unstable than 8" on the Phantom, so be very careful, especially on descent. Don't come straight down with the stick all the way at or near the bottom. Limit your descent to 2-3 m/s and add some forward or backward motion to escape from any possible vortex ring state.

EMCSQUAR said:
I had a similar issue but with P2 props - they lifted it ok and flight was ok but landing was a challenge - the wash was killing me bringing it down. Threw stock props on it - smooth sailing, labored a little more with stock props but nothing major.

Ques: are you running IOSD watching voltage drop vs flight time?
I took it easy on decent, moving back and forth, side to side. Havent watched the video much on these first 2 flights. Voltage was 11.6 after the "hard landing" :D
PJA said:
Thanks, i'll try those out.

Flew fine for 6.5mins on a 2200mah then 12.5mins on the 5400mah. Was a bit more twitchy and seemed to decend on its own at times. Maybe thats what happened....it just started decending and got caught in prop wash. i was just trying to fly it back to me.

ElGuano said:
I'm curious to see what your charger reports in mah returned. Also, what was the recovery rate? Were you also at ~11.1 on landing or did it bounce up a few tenths?
PJA said:
How long does it take to charge the battery, gen3benz?
Just landed voltage 11.19
Just got home voltage(10mins) 11.29
Charge from 11.29v to 12.6:
52m 04s at 5.4A
3805mah returned

Gotta wait for my co-pilot to finish dinner before I go fly again.

gen3benz said:
ElGuano said:
I'm curious to see what your charger reports in mah returned. Also, what was the recovery rate? Were you also at ~11.1 on landing or did it bounce up a few tenths?
PJA said:
How long does it take to charge the battery, gen3benz?
Just landed voltage 11.19
Just got home voltage(10mins) 11.29
Charge from 11.29v to 12.6:
52m 04s at 5.4A
3805mah returned

Gotta wait for my co-pilot to finish dinner before I go fly again.

11.19 resting? Along with your prior flight, I'd say you should regularly plan to fly it to 11.10 resting, recovering to 11.20. That'll be closer to 80% drain (and will probably buy you another 1 to 1.5min in the air). It also gives you enough in reserve if you want to push it a bit more when needed, too.

ElGuano said:
11.19 resting?
Resting voltage(after it sits and recovers?) for that flight would be 11.29v, but when I landed it was 11.19v.

I set my first loaded voltage warning to 10.9(unloaded 11.5) and landed right after the first warning.

GG98p9xl.jpg

Done and done :)

Thanks for the heads-up!

The Walkera battery is up on Hobbyking (international warehouse) now too. $60. It's a good deal. The real question is whether a 25c-30c 5400 is worth $30 more than a 10c. There have been a few stories of p2 battery behavior that have been indicative of low-C rating, but the question is whether there's any impact in flight. A 10c 5200mah is like a 25c 2200 so I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary.

My batteries JUST shipped this week. It's going to be like a month before they get to me. Sigh.

ElGuano said:
The real question is whether a 25c-30c 5400 is worth $30 more than a 10c.
I don't think so. 10C should be plenty for a phantom.

ElGuano said:
My batteries JUST shipped this week. It's going to be like a month before they get to me. Sigh.
****...that is a slow boat. :lol: But these might be the best battery yet.

gen3benz said:
ElGuano said:

I agree. However, right now that $30 is worth it to me just to have it here a month sooner :D

I'm also looking into the 6600mah 8C version of the battery. No weight or dimensions available on that one, but if it's 55mm wide, that's 1200mah more than my mad dog.

These low-C batteries are really looking and acting more like li-ion then lipo to me....

OI Photography said:
gen3benz said:
ElGuano said:

I agree. However, right now that $30 is worth it to me just to have it here a month sooner :D
Yeah, that is a long wait. Hope he accepts the offer. Then i'll get to offer $80 next time :mrgreen:
Dont forget to get a 3s thunder power to JST adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-JST-XH-to- ... 3cc3215b18

gen3benz said:
Yeah, that is a long wait. Hope he accepts the offer. Then i'll get to offer $80 next time :mrgreen:
Dont forget to get a 3s thunder power to JST adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-JST-XH-to- ... 3cc3215b18

If the rest of your batteries are JST-XH, I'd highly recommend re-crimping the TP's balance leads to match. Adapters are a pain in the butt, and it sucks if you forget or lose them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic