Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

EMCSQUAR said:
Dewey,
Not to be a downer here, but have you fitted a DJI LED in there yet? I'm curious to how you routed the wiring out of the door.

Personally no... but others that requested the door have:

ghostdoor3-1.jpg

ghostdoor5.jpg

The two holes on either side of the doors were meant for that purpose. It really depends on the setup that you choose though. People who are setting up just to use stock lipo's might route the LED cable out of the battery tunnel hole. Others, like me, route it out of the shell itself so it won't get in the way of the P2 battery.

To be sure you are talking about the stock Phantom v1 LED board yes? The internally lit designs are not designed for the v2 LED (yet at least).

Gotcha, I was ref the V2 light, thanks.

Mounted my iOSD and P1 TX to the upgrade board using velcro. Was gonna ditch the iOSD case but now it definitely wont short out on anything. Moved the MC forward a little to give the front motor leads some slack.

Still waiting on a 10A charger for my bigger battery. But I powered it up last night and everything works....so far. :cool:

Edit, just checked email and my shapeway parts have shipped!
Oh yeahhh, I can finish my V2 LED harness after the mount arrives.

Looking very neat there! Are you using the stock RX or do you still have to squeeze a an after market one in there? I know the feeling on charging with a low amp charger. My 5800mah takes about 2.5hrs @ 4amps!

DeweyAXD said:
Looking very neat there! Are you using the stock RX or do you still have to squeeze a an after market one in there? I know the feeling on charging with a low amp charger. My 5800mah takes about 2.5hrs @ 4amps!
Snuck it in on you there :)

Stock RX, called it a TX in the earlier post. Yeah, im a rookie haha

Ahhh sneaky! Never even noticed it hiding there. How come there? Can it not go in the stock place on the P2 shell (I must admit I didn't notice if it would or not being a Futaba man).

DeweyAXD said:
Can it not go in the stock place on the P2 shell (I must admit I didn't notice if it would or not being a Futaba man).
No, unfortunately. Could have bolted it down with one screw(P2 bolt holes are a little wider) but the terminals would hit the MC board anyways. I see a Futaba in my future as this hobby has taken hold of my brain(and my wallet) :lol:

I think it snuck up on all of us on the addiction factor! You won't regret the Futaba route that is for sure but one bit of advice on that front... if you even think for a moment that you 'might' build something non-phantom (especially a Hex) then try and scrape enough together for a 8FGs (14 channel with the firmware patch). I adore my T8J but as soon as I built the 450 and started messing with retracts and TX controlled lighting I'd run out of channels (and a second VR dial would be really handy for when the 3axis gimbals get more available).

All these doors... felt I needed a virtual stand!

DoorTree.jpg

DeweyAXD said:
I think it snuck up on all of us on the addiction factor! You won't regret the Futaba route that is for sure but one bit of advice on that front... if you even think for a moment that you 'might' build something non-phantom (especially a Hex) then try and scrape enough together for a 8FGs (14 channel with the firmware patch). I adore my T8J but as soon as I built the 450 and started messing with retracts and TX controlled lighting I'd run out of channels (and a second VR dial would be really handy for when the 3axis gimbals get more available).

I second that. The Futaba offers more variables to your flight controls. You might even find T8J second hand as Futaba is now coming out with a 10 channel. And yes I'd call it an addiction. What other things in your life make you climb trees, have you watching weather forecasts closely and daily, or have you asking "how do I get solder out of carpet?"

DeweyAXD said:
All these doors... felt I needed a virtual stand!

Ok now you're just mocking me :D I was thinking something more like a foam-lined display and travel case, but same idea.

I can't help but notice how you've created exactly as many doors as there are days in the week. Coincidence my ***. That marketing course you took is obviously working out for you :p

I'll will still back up your comments about moving to a more robust radio setup even just in the Phantom, but definitely on anything beyond. However my endorsement arrangement with FrSky requires that I mention the 16-channel Taranis/X8R or XJT/X8R setups as alternative options to the Futaba gear. </contractual obligation>

I should have pics by this weekend of my case-less Rx install on the upgrade board to give a comparison. And, the 4500mAh "boat batt" showed up yesterday, I'll get to it later today and post some feedback.

I can't help but notice how you've created exactly as many doors as there are days in the week. Coincidence my ***. That marketing course you took is obviously working out for you :p

:lol: Well ok just to prove that wasn't the plan.... not enough days in the week!! :mrgreen:

Dragon2.jpg

Dragon1.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing some pics on your setup. Especially the Skull & Cross Bones flashing away of course!

DeweyAXD said:
:lol: Well ok just to prove that wasn't the plan.... not enough days in the week!! :mrgreen:

Ahhh, so the plan calls for a 31-piece collection. Got it.

DeweyAXD said:
Really looking forward to seeing some pics on your setup. Especially the Skull & Cross Bones flashing away of course!

I'm going to hook up the LED in the door tonight just to get some vid of it in action, which you're welcome to turn in to an animated gif or just grab some optimal screenshots.

I noticed my Rx antenna will be exciting the same leg mount hole as the compass(right rear). Will this be a problem mounting them both to the same leg?
Is it possible to move the compass to a different leg and recalibrate?

gen3benz said:
I noticed my Rx antenna will be exciting the same leg mount hole as the compass(right rear). Will this be a problem mounting them both to the same leg?
Is it possible to move the compass to a different leg and recalibrate?

Pretty sure you will be ok. If you look at various images across the net you will see some have them on the front legs, others to the rear.

Easiest way is to swap the legs around, not the compass module but it depends where you want it really.

Ahhh, so the plan calls for a 31-piece collection. Got it.

:lol: At this rate that could well happen!

Just a peek at my P1.5 conversion set up... I need a few more things for the up-grade before I begin the build...

12984195895_63d0dbed3e_z.jpg

I plan to possibly colorize the Eagle Battery Cover... Would anyone know what kind of paint this type of plastic-nylon (???) could handle... I was going to use modeling paint; the kind I used to paint aurora models with as a kid. I think they are called TESTORS Acrylic Paint... (I hope it won't eat through the cover - :eek: ).

Looking good PJA. I notice the new DJI 'wideboy' legs you have there. Very nice. Shame I'd need to fully re-foam my case if I got those. Could do me a favour and take a pic of the stock leg standing next to the wide leg could you? I'm interested in whether the shape of the bottom is still the same... looks it (I need to know for people buying the GTU10 Mount).

Anyway to answer your original question: A rather comprehensive answer to the painting question is found right here: http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/painting3dprintedsls

PJA, re painting - try the Faskolor products, they're water based then you clear over them with acrylic and their colours jump out at you.

DeweyAXD said:
Could do me a favour and take a pic of the stock leg standing next to the wide leg could you? I'm interested in whether the shape of the bottom is still the same... looks it (I need to know for people buying the GTU10 Mount).

I took a few pics of the original Landing gear with the wide tall(er) landing gear for you... I put a tape measure in between them in one picture, as you can see... Also note that I have extensions on the original landing gear (in orange).

Below, the last picture shows another type of landing gear which I'm planning to add some sort of flotation device (pontoons or pool noodles) to it for flying over water (which I haven't tried yet). I think the spread on that set is wide enough for them not to get in the way of the GoPro's field of view if it's set at medium (which I like, and is what I've recorded in the last few times out).

I have a case also, but I haven't 'plucked' it out yet, so I don't know if any of the larger landing gears will work either...

12991656065_484aa55809_h.jpg

I also have a Simonsays Foldable Landing Gear, which met it's demise in a horrific crash... I have since bought new parts to rebuild it:

12992234755_3997b41a0d_b.jpg

gen3benz said:
D3wey makes the B3ST! :lol:

If the upcoming P2 "jailbreak" mentioned at that first link happens, Dewey will soon have a much bigger market for his doors than just the nuts in this thread. (I'm lookin at you, mr OI Photography)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingroberto666