Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

ElGuano said:
If your stripper is a bit too big for your wire gauge, (by 2-3awg) you can still strip them if you angle the wires diagonally. I use a 28 or 30awg stripper on my 32awg wiring.
Ok, I will do that. Gonna order this $5 stripper. Actually looks like decent quality.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8696

Dewey,
Also placed my first shapeways order of a plain door, leg mount LED holder, and a frame'ish. Oh yeahhh.

DeweyAXD said:
:lol: i will hold my hand up and say i often just use scissors... carefully of course :mrgreen: why can it never be christmas when i need new tools like decent ratchet crimpers!

I confess I'll usually grab and use my diagonal cutters before my stripper :oops:

Btw, when I follow the link in your sig, I can see all your items, but when I put "D3wey" in the search field on the shapeways page I only get a limited set of them...newer things like the batt doors don't show up.

OI Photography said:
DeweyAXD said:
:lol: i will hold my hand up and say i often just use scissors... carefully of course :mrgreen: why can it never be christmas when i need new tools like decent ratchet crimpers!

I confess I'll usually grab and use my diagonal cutters before my stripper :oops:

Btw, when I follow the link in your sig, I can see all your items, but when I put "D3wey" in the search field on the shapeways page I only get a limited set of them...newer things like the batt doors don't show up.

Uggg tell me about it! The search engine is not great on their on there. Basically i have to have d3wey in the title for it to work but the title is restricted on characters. Tags are meant to work but clearly don't properly.

Used the 2 x 6.5mm screws to hold the ESCs instead of the baby 1.6s with the tiny heads. They basically stripped out while tapping the threads in the new led frosted pieces. Was waiting to hear a cracking noise as they are a little longer. Nope, tightened up just fine.

Nicely done. I hate all the tiny screws on/in the Phantom that require different sized jeweler's screwdrivers. They all end up stripping.

ElGuano said:
Nicely done. I hate all the tiny screws on/in the Phantom that require different sized jeweler's screwdrivers. They all end up stripping.

Like the ones that attach GPS module... those little B@$R%ds..

Been dabbling with a few more designs. Thought the project really needed a logo....

FreeYourPhantom1.jpg

FreeYourPhantom.jpg

:D

DeweyAXD said:
Been dabbling with a few more designs. Thought the project really needed a logo....

FreeYourPhantom1.jpg

FreeYourPhantom.jpg

very nice!

DeweyAXD said:

FreeYourPhantom1.jpg

Hey, Mr. D... Where's the EAGLE! :cry:

DeweyAXD said:

<what I always say>

Also, would it be possible to remove the materiel behind the cutouts that form the "1.5", put a backplate behind them like on the skull door, and mount a stock LED board lower than that, so the light from it lights up the backplate and shows through the logo?

Don't look at me like that...you're the one who started this :twisted:

EDIT: for your reference...

gtSbHwyl.jpg

Blue = backplate
green = stock LED board on back of backplate
red = LED hole through backplate

Smell what I'm cookin?

Yep I can smell what your cooking there O.I shouldn't be a problem to do it that way. Obviously the hole for the USB port will need to be on bottom rather than the top and hence the board orientation switched round (wires on the right not left). I guess it doesn't 'have' to be but I think it will look a bit odd with it in the top.

Seems PJA has found his eagle and purchased.... either that or someone else has found it before him! I PM'd you yesterday on it PJA.

For others wondering... it can be seen here:

Eagle2.jpg

Eagle1-1.jpg

DeweyAXD said:
Yep I can smell what your cooking there O.I shouldn't be a problem to do it that way. Obviously the hole for the USB port will need to be on bottom rather than the top and hence the board orientation switched round (wires on the right not left). I guess it doesn't 'have' to be but I think it will look a bit odd with it in the top.

Bingo. Pretty much invert the current backplate from the skull door. Maybe shift to the side a bit to line up with the center of the cutouts. Doesn't really matter to me which way the cable is routed as a result.

So as always I've looked at this and decided to take it a step further. The white nylon leaks light a fair bit so my thinking is this (best desribed in a vid!):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLluNZY-sY[/youtube]

P.S - I sound like such a miserable git on my vids... I'm really not! :lol:

What do you think O.I - price comes in at about the same as the skull & cross bones but you'll need to use 4 x small screws to mount it.

Oh and you may notice there is no hole for the USB in that vid... don't worry there will be.

If people think the 2 piece is overkill then I can just make it a 1 piece... it'll still work, just bleed light through a bit more.

And while you refit, I did sone unfitting.

I asked a friend to bring me a cheap frame from Singapore, and before I knew it was too late to turn back.

Sorry for tbe off topic post :)

I think a 3300mah will balance the gimbal just fine.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393859019542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393859019542.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 466

@Dewey: Looks as awesome as ever, and I had been thinking along those same lines after I sent that image. I didn't know the light leaks through the material like that, but I was already trying to figure out what I should paint or coat the backplate with (and how) to get the best effect. I didn't go so far in my head as the "light funnel" you created, but I see how that may be worth trying. Either way, go ahead and throw it up like that, and I'll give it a test run. I definitely like the idea of the removable backplate, makes it easier to work with for this.

@Ton: I'm going to call that your FA....Flying Amalgamation. I especially love the "if it fits we'll use it" repurposed landing gear :D

OI Photography said:
@Dewey: Looks as awesome as ever, and I had been thinking along those same lines after I sent that image. I didn't know the light leaks through the material like that, but I was already trying to figure out what I should paint or coat the backplate with (and how) to get the best effect. I didn't go so far in my head as the "light funnel" you created, but I see how that may be worth trying. Either way, go ahead and throw it up like that, and I'll give it a test run. I definitely like the idea of the removable backplate, makes it easier to work with for this.

@Ton: I'm going to call that your FA....Flying Amalgamation. I especially love the "if it fits we'll use it" repurposed landing gear :D

Yeah I think some thick black paint (like high temp engine paint) would work but a hell of a hassle and no 100% guarentee that it will not melt the nylon! This way at least gives all ready to go here! http://www.shapeways.com/model/1752968/ ... rsion.html

I put the non-led version on there too as a cheap option for others that might like the logo. :mrgreen:

Looking good Ton!

Dewey,
Not to be a downer here, but have you fitted a DJI LED in there yet? I'm curious to how you routed the wiring out of the door.

DeweyAXD said:
Looking good Ton!

Thanks. Weight is 1250 grams now incl 2700mah , still need to "do" some things, I guess with 3300mah it will be 1400.

It the Tonthom P450 :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393863736432.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393863736432.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 492

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member