UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Distance, Speed, etc) v11

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Unlimited GS Distance

Coffee,

You probably know that the P2V+ has built in, restricted airspace, prohibited flight limits. Ground Station seems to prohibit A-N-Y flight within a 5 mile radius of class A airspace.
Flight within class A airspace is allowed, however, at 1.5 miles (altitude 35 feet), linearly, out to the 5 mile (altitude 400 feet) radius limitation.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

I live about 3.6 miles from a class A international airport. The math suggests flight up to approximately 250 feet would be allowable. I have a general question, (maybe you can answer for me, please), can the Vision app be tweaked to remove the 5 mile restriction altogether, leaving the operator to be mindful of the limits; or, (ideally), place a calculated linear altitude solution (formula-based) limit between the 1.5 mile to 5 mile radius points? The math is easy, (two point formula to derive altitude at a known radial distance from class A space), but, can that be done in the Vision app, or is that embedded in the phantom software?

Thank you for your efforts!

DrD said:
Coffee,

You probably know that the P2V+ has built in, restricted airspace, prohibited flight limits. Ground Station seems to prohibit A-N-Y flight within a 5 mile radius of class A airspace.
Flight within class A airspace is allowed, however, at 1.5 miles (altitude 35 feet), linearly, out to the 5 mile (altitude 400 feet) radius limitation.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

I live about 3.6 miles from a class A international airport. The math suggests flight up to approximately 250 feet would be allowable. I have a general question, (maybe you can answer for me, please), can the Vision app be tweaked to remove the 5 mile restriction altogether, leaving the operator to be mindful of the limits; or, (ideally), place a calculated linear altitude solution (formula-based) limit between the 1.5 mile to 5 mile radius points? The math is easy, (two point formula to derive altitude at a known radial distance from class A space), but, can that be done in the Vision app, or is that embedded in the phantom software?

Thank you for your efforts!

Yikes. I try to stay away from this with a 10 foot
pole.jpg

But I will say simply, yes the app you can get rid of those restrictions from the APP's perspective. However I believe the Phantom's firmware will prevent you. And the firmware takes precedence over the app as it's what actually controls flight. Unfortunately there are just too many idiots out there, even if I could, I wouldn't release such a bypass of restrictions for public safety. You may want to look at older firmwares (? I don't think this restriction was in the earlier ones).

I understand your sentiment, and there is no wrongful issue intended in my curiosity. If restrictions prevent legal use of the phantom, if they can be resolved by changing the software, I would like to learn how to make the changes needed. I've been following your lead on modifications of the Vision app, and was hoping to learn from your endeavors. It would be so helpful if DJI would make available sufficient documentation for external use, for cases like this, and those you have developed so far. If won't be long before the end of the product cycle, and they quit supporting the p2v+, the only resources available might be what is learned on our own.

There's no shortage of opinions on where the line should be drawn in regulating these things. I grew up with ' justice and freedom for all' as a constant pledge of allegiance to our flag, but those were better days, and the pioneering spirit seems to have gone astray these days. Thank you for the information, and I'll try and take it from there.

Does your battery normally run longer than that? How long normally?

Can you actually get more than 16 waypoints or does the Naza restrict this to 16?

DronePilot said:
Can you actually get more than 16 waypoints or does the Naza restrict this to 16?

Very good question. I haven't tested it myself in real life even though I've modified it to accept more. Now that I've removed the pause between way points I should give it a go. I'll try tomorrow.

flyingtim said:
Does your battery normally run longer than that? How long normally?

I've not really timed it... But my battery is fairly new so I'd estimate I could get about 17 minutes out of it running full speed....but that would be pushing it....

Ok, so I just installed the app on my sons cheap Chinese android tablet ($79 tablet from Walmart) and everything seems ok except when I open ground station the maps aren't there. To see anything I have to zoom way out to the state level and then I can see major roads but the city names are all in Chinese letters. Does anyone know why this is? What map database does the app normally use to pull its data from? I can go to google maps in the browser and everything works fine.

If the wifi is ON for Quad, that leaves you no way to download the maps in realtime, unless you also have verizon or something connected to the tablet.

Of course outside, there is no wifi at all in most places.

When I wifi'd my phone and my laptop at the same time, it would only work (show the camera image) on one at a time.

THUS, download and cache the map before you fly. That is not always predictable if you are zooming around in the car. But overall, wifi the maps, then go hookup and flyyy away.

flyingtim said:
If the wifi is ON for Quad, that leaves you no way to download the maps in realtime, unless you also have verizon or something connected to the tablet.

Of course outside, there is no wifi at all in most places.

When I wifi'd my phone and my laptop at the same time, it would only work (show the camera image) on one at a time.

THUS, download and cache the map before you fly. That is not always predictable if you are zooming around in the car. But overall, wifi the maps, then go hookup and flyyy away.

"flyyy away" is not such a good term to be using for the Phantom. :)

I actually haven't even connected the tablet to the quad yet - I started by connecting to my wifi network at home to test first. I think I remember when I first did the same thing with my iPhone I could see the maps fine.

Jimgermani said:
I actually haven't even connected the tablet to the quad yet - I started by connecting to my wifi network at home to test first. I think I remember when I first did the same thing with my iPhone I could see the maps fine.

Have you considered that you may be in China and not know it? :lol:

Do you actually have Internet access from the tablet? Does Google Maps work?

coffee, any way to get the altitude adjustment in GS to go to less than 0 feet? I live up on a hill and need to get much lower than take off altitude to get good videos.

Hi J,
You must fist have the tablet with the open Vision app connected to the Internet and then zoom in on the area you plan to fly in. It will then cache the maps for use in the Vision app. Google Maps application uses a separate cache.
Cheers,
Jim

Jimgermani said:
Ok, so I just installed the app on my sons cheap Chinese android tablet ($79 tablet from Walmart) and everything seems ok except when I open ground station the maps aren't there. To see anything I have to zoom way out to the state level and then I can see major roads but the city names are all in Chinese letters. Does anyone know why this is? What map database does the app normally use to pull its data from? I can go to google maps in the browser and everything works fine.

Guys I know somebody on this forum has the know how to install this android modified app on an iphone or ipad mini, if you could just take 5 minutes of your precious time to help out us IOS guys so we could enjoy the freedom of unlimited ground station Im sure you will be praised :lol: I tried everything I could think of, I even redownloaded EMU4IOS APP hoping there would be a way to reconfigure to app to use it on a apple device, no luck...I also downloaded onto my moverios thinking ' yeah ,this will be SWEET' and then I found out that the mouse pad doesn't swipe...bummer :roll:

Jstic said:
coffee, any way to get the altitude adjustment in GS to go to less than 0 feet? I live up on a hill and need to get much lower than take off altitude to get good videos.

I think it shouldn't be a problem. Just working on other things at the moment. If I can get what I'm looking to do done, then I'll be able to add negative height as a selectable option.

ilovecoffee said:
Jstic said:

I think it shouldn't be a problem. Just working on other things at the moment. If I can get what I'm looking to do done, then I'll be able to add negative height as a selectable option.

Thanks again, you've really made flying much more fun with the modifications to GS.

There have been posts about channel 7 (camera control) working until the vision app is started. Perhaps the app could be modified to allow channel 7 enable/disable?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez