Trying to decide what is best to purchase, ty for any help

Reaction score
Hi there, I am a new user of this forum, and am glad to see such a site so active.

I am planning a purchase of a Phantom Drone, and am hoping for a little input from experienced users. I intend to use the drone to capture aerial photography and video, on land and over water.

I have been looking at the phantom 2 H3-2D, but now I notice there is a new vision+... I feel so lost in trying to determine what best suits my needs cost effectively, and which model for those needs is the most reliable. I will be purchasing a small GPS tracking unit regardless on the model I buy.

When it comes to the video capture device, I am leaning towards the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition. The camera will be used for underwater applications also, not just on the Phantom.

Thanks for reading, and for any help!!

Re: Trying to decide what is best to purchase, ty for any he

Welcome. Sounds like your lean to the P2, gimbel with GoPro H3+ would suit you based on what you have shared.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I own a P2 with the z2 gimbal. comparing that to the P2V ... hands down the P2z is a better choice.

Honestly that changed with the P2V+. The Gap is sooooo close now between features of the P2z3 vs P2V+.

P2z3
1) Much better camera (Marginally for average person). Unless you are going to use higher resolutions, ProScan and Post-Process, then this option doesn't make too much of a difference.
2) GoPro Camera that you can use stand alone... but i'm finding out that I am pretty much dedicating my GoPro to my Phantom so i'm buying a GoPro 3+ silver or GoPro 3 Black so i can free up my 3+ black for other than aerial video.
3) Separate 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz frequencies for video and flight control. You can tweak range and quality with more options. More range out of the box 2.4 Ghz.

P2V+
1) Out of the box camera rivals GoPro at 1080p resolutions.
2) No need to buy additional camera FPV equipment works right out of the box.
3) Can activate camera for video or stills remotely
4) Can upload to Social Media immediately
5). Total investment less than p2z3

Oh and based on how I use the GoPro Camera... well I had the same intentions as you... but now because of how I use my Phantom now... when I go on vacation I bring my backpack with my Phantom in it. Usually it's some place tropical and I don't want to mount it in and out of my Phantom. I am purchasing a Hero 3 or 3+ used as long as it can film in 1080p 60 fps and mounting that to my phantom and free up my Hero 3+ Black to take other footage in the waterproof housing.

In my case if i had to do it all over again i would buy a P2V+. But now i'm almost set on how my P2z operates so i'm not going back...not even for a z3 Gimbal... not worth the effort.

d4ddyo said:

Honestly that changed with the P2V+. The Gap is sooooo close now between features of the P2z3 vs P2V+.

P2z3
1) Much better camera (Marginally for average person). Unless you are going to use higher resolutions, ProScan and Post-Process, then this option doesn't make too much of a difference.
2) GoPro Camera that you can use stand alone... but i'm finding out that I am pretty much dedicating my GoPro to my Phantom so i'm buying a GoPro 3+ silver or GoPro 3 Black so i can free up my 3+ black for other than aerial video.
3) Separate 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz frequencies for video and flight control. You can tweak range and quality with more options. More range out of the box 2.4 Ghz.

What is the P2z3? and, the packages I have been looking at say the camera is sold separately, so should I be buying a GoPro separately or as a package?

Oceans2018 said:
d4ddyo said:

P2z3

What is the P2z3? and, the packages I have been looking at say the camera is sold separately, so should I be buying a GoPro
separately or as a package?

Yes you will need to buy the gopro separately if you go with the Phantom 2 h3-3d. That is the route that I took. I love my gopro it takes National geographic quality videos which is why I went with the Phantom 2 h3-3d. I like being able to take my gopro anywhere such as snorkeling.

PixelNinja said:
d4ddyo said:
P2V+
1) Out of the box camera rivals GoPro at 1080p resolutions.

This is not true.

It is from all the side by side comparisons and that is a subjective opinion.

In my opinion, going the GoPro route = always able to "upgrade" to the latest camera. At least as long GoPro doesn't change the shape/size so it still fits on the gimbal.. but I'm pretty sure the housing on the gimbal can be switched up if a new shape/size does happen.

Vision 2+, stuck with that camera forever (unless it's unmountable, never really looked if it was possible).

That's mainly one of the reasons why I moved from the AR Drone 2.0. Which has a 720p front camera and gameboy color-like bottom camera.

OK mr expert. I'm just giving my opinion, and from what I have seen side by side comparisons the P2V+ looks good. For most people use I can see how it is good enough. And based on the objective look of the side by side video... I do think they rival each other (based on what I have seen on side by side comparisons). Depends on their use. I just give my opinion so other people can decide. and guess what... there are more to making a decision than just paper facts. No need to be angry because I disagree with you. I happened to own a P2Z and very happy with it.

PixelNinja said:
d4ddyo said:
OK mr expert. I'm just giving my opinion, and from what I have seen side by side comparisons the P2V+ looks good. For most people use I can see how it is good enough. And based on the objective look of the side by side video... I do think they rival each other (based on what I have seen on side by side comparisons). Depends on their use. I just give my opinion so other people can decide. and guess what... there are more to making a decision than just paper facts. No need to be angry because I disagree with you. I happened to own a P2Z and very happy with it.

You are confused. I am not angry.

It's fine to have your own opinion. Even if your opinion is contrary to the facts as well as the opinions of other folks besides me.

Ok... end of convo. you are right. whatever dude.

PixelNinja said:
This is not true.
Lets get this clear, your initial posts on more than one thread here comes across as rude and arrogant. The idea is to respond in a helpful manner to the question asked or contribute constructively to developing conversations. If you have a different opinion that's fine by everyone here but arrogance does not help.

You second post was informative and helpful and so easily could have been a more appropriate first post in this thread from you.

Differing opinions are great and make forums work, but respectfully done. Yours are far from respectful.

Just my opinion.

PixelNinja said:
You're going to need to work on your problems yourself. I can't help you with that. Sorry.
Says it all...I'm out of here and done.

Guys, can't we all just get aphantom? :lol:

No but in all seriousness, thank you all for reading and providing your input.

PixelNinja said:
IrishSights said:
Lets get this clear, your initial posts on more than one thread here comes across as rude and arrogant.

You're going to need to work on your problems yourself. I can't help you with that. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-rJXSwz24

You obviously haven't actually looked at any side by side comparisons, have you "pixelninja"?

That link is just a single example. I can guarantee you that if the video samples weren't labeled you wouldn't be able to tell me which is which.

I know its safe to hide behind your computer screen and give out false information, but please go do it somewhere else, people come here to get actual help and incorrect posts such as yours really hurts the forum. Thanks.

amkorp said:
PixelNinja said:
IrishSights said:
Lets get this clear, your initial posts on more than one thread here comes across as rude and arrogant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-rJXSwz24

You obviously haven't actually looked at any side by side comparisons, have you "pixelninja"?

That link is just a single example. I can guarantee you that if the video samples weren't labeled you wouldn't be able to tell me which is which.

Not that I want to involve myself in this argument, but that video is pretty terrible. It's 480p, and the GoPro footage looks so terrible and unlike any other footage I've seen that I find it hard to see it as a comparison.

I did try to find another video, but wasn't able to. Only vids of the older P2V camera against GoPro and the GoPro was clearly better (imo).

edit: Just noticed the posted video is also just a comparison of P2V and not P2V+. Here is what I think is a better comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWFfBEbkZg

GoPro looks better to me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl