Phantom 3 se gimbal replacement help

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently received a free phantom 3 se that has a damaged gimbal.

It's vibrating violently and over heating.

I am in the process of changing the whole gimbal.

I am curious is the gimbal interchangeable with all other phantom 3 gimbals or do I need to purchase an se gimbal.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated 👍

There are no se boards in the usual place. But searching google, you can find how the top board looks like.
On the image, I can see antenna connector in the top left. It's strange there's only one - typically you want to double the antennas to improve video feed range. But regardless - we've learned that the video transmission has its own transceiver, separate from the drone control signal.

Phantom 3 Pro and Advanced have no chance of being compatible then, as they connect to the separate OFDM board to transmit the signal.

For Ph3 Std - it has similar design to what we see here is SE. It is possible that it would work. But it is still unlikely:
* Power cable pinout would have to be matching, and DJI is known of having a different one in every model, even if there is no reason to break compatibility
* The radio transmission, and the ID transmitted there, would have to be recognized by the RC - I'd give it 50-50 chance that DJI changed something in the protocol, or at least changed the ID.

Attachments

• p3se gimbal top board.jpg
    p3se gimbal top board.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Droneted and RodPad
For Ph3 Std - it has similar design to what we see here is SE. It is possible that it would work. But it is still unlikely:
* Power cable pinout would have to be matching, and DJI is known of having a different one in every model, even if there is no reason to break compatibility
* The radio transmission, and the ID transmitted there, would have to be recognized by the RC - I'd give it 50-50 chance that DJI changed something in the protocol, or at least changed the ID.
Good information there!

I tried similar with a Phantom 3 Standard camera and gimbal with my camera-less Phantom 3 SE and can report back that even though the power seems to work fine, there appears to be no way to get the controller to bind to the drone once the power is on on both so I suspect something like you say in the IDs is different

What I didn't try was to pair a Phantom 3 Standard controller with a Phantom 3 SE drone with a Phantom 3 Standard camera attached - I wonder if that would work?

I will check with Mike Holt in California. He is not on the forum but has a ton of old DJI stuff. I can put you in touch with him if you want.

Thanks - I'd definitely be interested in having a chat as I've now got 2 Phantom 3 SE drones that I need to bring back to fully working :)

OK, send me an email as I don't want to broadcast his number on here. I don't know where you are located but he is in California so you have to time your call. I am on the East coast so I never call before noon
[email protected]

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl