Is it a bad idea to buy P4P V2.0 in 2023 ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to get into the drone business and I am looking for a used drone that can do good mapping missions and a do marketing stuff as well.

I was thinking of getting a P4P V2.0. How does it stack up against the newer drones ? Does DJI still support the phantom series ? Where do we find batteries and spares for this drone ? Is it slower than newer drones for mapping missions ? How good is the support of 3rd party applications like drone deploy on the phantom ?

Are there any other good all rounder drones ?

Thanks in advance !!

Reactions: Garyw
I don’t have the technical answers to your questions but from past experience I’ve always thought the Phantom series aircraft were the workhorse produced by DJI.
Not many DJI products that I have not had in my possession with the exception of anything that has the word mini attached. I can say the P4 pro V1 and V2 are not slow flying at all.
In your hunting for a Phantom, I do have a new, never activated V2 if you find the need.

Hello,

I am planning to get into the drone business and I am looking for a used drone that can do good mapping missions and a do marketing stuff as well.

I was thinking of getting a P4P V2.0. How does it stack up against the newer drones ? Does DJI still support the phantom series ? Where do we find batteries and spares for this drone ? Is it slower than newer drones for mapping missions ? How good is the support of 3rd party applications like drone deploy on the phantom ?

Are there any other good all rounder drones ?

Thanks in advance !!
The P4p is a great drone. Never let me down. You’d need to get an RID module to be FAA compliant

The P4p is a great drone. Never let me down. You’d need to get an RID module to be FAA compliant. I know a lot of guys like the P4p for mapping. I also have an Air2s and haven’t touched the P4p since.

P4Pv2.0 has a one inch sensor and mechanical shutter. I do not have the experience expertise but my research tells me that combination provides a better map product. Apparently the drone should stop before taking each image so it’s slower. Speed or quality?

I believe DJI has stopped supporting the P4Pv2.0. Although they are supposed to release a firmware update by the end of 2023 to give it RID. And I just sent mine to DJI for repair and they did fix it.

There are so many P4P v1 and v2 that batteries and parts won't be a problem for years. Love my P4Ps for work but use my A2 for quick fun.

Reactions: CoreySnipes
I don’t have the technical answers to your questions but from past experience I’ve always thought the Phantom series aircraft were the workhorse produced by DJI.
Not many DJI products that I have not had in my possession with the exception of anything that has the word mini attached. I can say the P4 pro V1 and V2 are not slow flying at all.
In your hunting for a Phantom, I do have a new, never activated V2 if you find the need.
Thankyou very much for the info ! And I’d love to buy your drone, but I am from Canada :/

There are so many P4P v1 and v2 that batteries and parts won't be a problem for years. Love my P4Ps for work but use my A2 for quick fun.
Thankyou for the reply. most of the batteries I saw were aftermarket. Do they work reliably? Any websites that you recommend for quality parts ?

P4Pv2.0 has a one inch sensor and mechanical shutter. I do not have the experience expertise but my research tells me that combination provides a better map product. Apparently the drone should stop before taking each image so it’s slower. Speed or quality?

I believe DJI has stopped supporting the P4Pv2.0. Although they are supposed to release a firmware update by the end of 2023 to give it RID. And I just sent mine to DJI for repair and they did fix it.
Thankyou for the reply. So that means they have only stopped providing updates ? I’m cool with that as long as I am stuck with a good working firmware. I was more worried about repairs. Glad to hear they still repair it

Guys I have some more questions.

1) can the total flight time in the DJI Flight log page be formatted ? I am looking for a used P4P v2.0 (in Canada) and I am using the total flight hours to judge a deal

2) what all things would you recommend to look for in a used P4P ? I’m sure you all would have a list of usual suspects.

3) 3rd party applications : I know the phantom doesn’t have a lot of modes like hyperlapse and all. Are there any 3rd party apps that can make it happen ?

4) does the phantom support dual person ops? I heard mavic 2 pro can be controlled with 2 remotes.

Thankyou very much. Never knew about the wet suit. That’s such a great add on!
We loved that drone so we made a Rain an Rescue Package for the Forum Members.
Just let me know what you need and I will set you with a nice discount package with extra Color Designs as well.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.

The P4p is a great drone. Never let me down. You’d need to get an RID module to be FAA compliant. I know a lot of guys like the P4p for mapping. I also have an Air2s and haven’t touched the P4p since.
You don't need to get an RID module for the P4Pv2.

DJI will update that via firmware.

Reactions: WildMan9
For batteries, I recommend getting certified used ones from a reliable source. That's what I do and they're usually about half the price of new ones, and I've never had a problem. A couple of good places to buy used Phantom batteries are https://www.mpb.com and https://www.adorama.com.

I was just talking about this the other day to a friend. I have a P4Pv2 that I use for work with my engineering company. Smaller mapping missions, project documentation type of stuff. I also have an Air2s for personal. Out of the two, the P4Pv2 has NEVER let me down. The thing is just solid. No weird connection issues, no fly aways, third party apps work with it (maps made easy, litchi, pix4d etc...), stable in higher winds. It really is my go to when I need reliability and need to get the job done. Total workhorse. I would buy one again in 2023 if I were looking to do the type of work I mentioned above.

Thankyou for the reply. So that means they have only stopped providing updates ? I’m cool with that as long as I am stuck with a good working firmware. I was more worried about repairs. Glad to hear they still repair it
I was just notified the RID firmware update is out. I have not done the update yet.

I am interested in learning about your V2 if still available?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl