Triple your P3P range with an aluminum range booster!!!!

I ordered an aluminum one today. Could someone help me to understand what "bottled out" means ....?
Thanks!

It means = soiled pants - gave up - shat myself - shaky knees - jeepers creepers and many many more and whatever you want to call it....just make sure it don't mean signal loss because it don't lol

Just wondering.. would flipping it the other way work better? Or will the signal pass through the printer paper??

O tried both by accident when I put it on backwards. I was flying and wondering why it was cutting out already. Flipped it back to how you see it now and it worked great, no signal loss.

There is a science behind it. Its to do with parabolic shape. You want signal to hit/send from a focal point. Narrower parabolic means sharper and stronger beam = farther less accurate. Wider parabolic does the opposite.
This is how the Death laser beam works on the Death Star. Same with your satellite dishes :)

lol, thanks!
Yeah, I've worked with dishes and antenna's before. There's a lot of science: wavelength, focal point, directional, etc... but I've also found nothing beats good ole' testing and experimentation.

Or I live in an urban area and my range was 1800 feet stock and now, with the aluminum windsurfer, I have about 6000 feet?

Is that not a fair statement/recommendation?

I never claimed the performance of the aluminum version was better, I have nothing to compare it to.

Only 1800? are u in a very urbanized area? Im living in LA and I get over 3000ft stock and I still have full bars (too scared to fly further), still waiting on my windsurfer to come in the mail.

I suggest you fly high enough to be able to point at your craft. the farther you fly the lower your craft seems. majority of signal strength comes from pointing at your craft. It takes practice

Only 1800? are u in a very urbanized area? Im living in LA and I get over 3000ft stock and I still have full bars (too scared to fly further), still waiting on my windsurfer to come in the mail.

I suggest you fly high enough to be able to point at your craft. the farther you fly the lower your craft seems. majority of signal strength comes from pointing at your craft. It takes practice

Not very urban, but I take off from an intersection and have tall trees 15 feet away in every direction. 400 feet high

Not very urban, but I take off from an intersection and have tall trees 15 feet away in every direction. 400 feet high

I guess there is just some major interference in that area. Like I said Im in LA but a suburban part, I got many trees and a freeway behind me lol I was able to get 3000ft and had full bars both control and video. I was too chicken to go farther, feels weird. When I get my windsurfer Ill feel more confident

I have the aluminum windsurfer ordered, but it isn't going to make it here for this weekend. Looking at the pictures though, it looks like the radius of the curves is about the same as a 25 oz Bud Lite can. Has anyone ever experimented with one of those large beer cans? I was thinking about using my Dremel tool and cutting one of those cans in half.

I have the aluminum windsurfer ordered, but it isn't going to make it here for this weekend. Looking at the pictures though, it looks like the radius of the curves is about the same as a 25 oz Bud Lite can. Has anyone ever experimented with one of those large beer cans? I was thinking about using my Dremel tool and cutting one of those cans in half.
Looking forward to this update as I have many empties laying around here lol. Work is stressful.

So I just got my all aluminum antenna in the mail for $30. Very good quality. Came with a case.

Now I wasnt able to triple my range. Im in an urban area, once i reached 4000ft myRC signal was getting poor however my video signal had all bars. Im sure it has something to do with my incorrectly pointing or antenna orientation. Either that or I reached my max range considering the urban environment I live in. rows of suburban homes all with wifi lol

Does anyone have any tips for me?

So I just got my all aluminum antenna in the mail for $30. Very good quality. Came with a case.

Now I wasnt able to triple my range. Im in an urban area, once i reached 4000ft myRC signal was getting poor however my video signal had all bars. Im sure it has something to do with my incorrectly pointing or antenna orientation. Either that or I reached my max range considering the urban environment I live in. rows of suburban homes all with wifi lol

How high?

Sometimes it will briefly go down and the. You'll get full bars again. I would try until RTH engages.

Interesting. With either the aluminum Taco RC version or the 3d printed plastic one I typically see video dropping out before control. Yes the interference from wifi etc around those homes is reducing your range, but 4000' is not that bad really. If you try in an area without interference you'll be amazed at the range (I've had over 20,000' with 5 bars on control and video flying at 300').

How high?

Sometimes it will briefly go down and the. You'll get full bars again. I would try until RTH engages.

yeah I didnt want to push it until the RTH kicks in, I was about 390ft. I it gave me low signal and I just got scared and turned around lol

does wifi interference mess with the control or video?

Interesting. With either the aluminum Taco RC version or the 3d printed plastic one I typically see video dropping out before control. Yes the interference from wifi etc around those homes is reducing your range, but 4000' is not that bad really. If you try in an area without interference you'll be amazed at the range (I've had over 20,000' with 5 bars on control and video flying at 300').

I will try it in a rural area, 20k is crazy!!

im going to maui next week and Im going to fly over the beach coast, we will see how far I get then

Make sure your pointing it correctly and you should get full RC signals.

When I used mine if a single signal bar went down I would just adjust correctly and voila full bars and shivers down my spine lol

Make sure your pointing it correctly and you should get full RC signals.

When I used mine if a single signal bar went down I would just adjust correctly and voila full bars and shivers down my spine lol

how should I be pointing it? do you push the windsurfer all the way down so the tips of the antenna sticks up?

yes. and then arrange it so that the windsurfer is facing the quadcopter.
Oh I see, I wasnt pushing the windsurfers all the way down because I thought the antennas must be completly covered by the windsurfer if that makes any sense.

on my second attempt I got better results, 5000ft and still have full bars, occasionally i would get low signal but it would shoot back up to full bars. I turned around because I chickened out once again. not used to this as my P2v would only get 1000ft lol

I am flying in a very congested area, there are houses all around me so im very satisfied with the range thus far. I cant imagine how much better it is in a rural area!
thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl