Triple your P3P range with an aluminum range booster!!!!

I have both the aluminum and the 3d printed foil windsurfers. Having used both, I can say that I regret buying the 3d printed one which everyone recommends in another thread. The foil gets easily scratched, the edges peel off and it is not as sturdy as the aluminum one. Besides, the aluminum windsurfer mentioned in this thread comes with a case.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Cheers for the link Harry - ordered nd filters from taco
before. Will order one of these, free shipping makes me happy. Are you happy with the overall quality?

Might want to wait: I contacted the eBay seller and they will have more by the end of the week!

It's not imperative they be 100% vertical or parallel but positioning them otherwise provides no benefit.
However keeping them perpendicular to the quads estimated location is the most beneficial.

On a side note, anytime the quad is overhead having the controller's antennas parallel to the ground is the best orientation. Having said that it is the worst orientation for the quads antennas as the tips are the least effective or sensitive radio signal reception or transmission.

Just about any reflector will help, however a parabola with the antenna at the focal point is the BEST.

I ordered from eBay and am thrilled with the quality. It came with a case too!

The one from TacoRC looks pretty much the same

I see only one antenna hole for each antenna. This setup seems impossible it accurately keep the antenna absolutely parallel to the parabolic plane, as required to optimized signal gathering and transmit. The 3D printed wind surfer I have has two antenna brace holes, one on top, one on bottom, for each antenna.

My wind surfer has separate reflectors too, one for each antenna. I find this more convenient for storing under each motor POD in my backpack and microraptor hard case. Anything larger won't work.

Last edited:
I see only one antenna hole for each antenna. This setup seems impossible it accurately keep the antenna absolutely parallel to the parabolic plane, as required to optimized signal gathering and transmit. The 3D printed wind surfer I have has two antenna brace holes, one on top, one on bottom, for each antenna.

My wind surfer has separate reflectors too, one for each antenna. I find this more convenient for storing under each motor POD in my backpack and microraptor hard case. Anything larger won't work.
The antennas are locked to the controller on the bottom (at a fixed distance), and the two holes on the reflectors keep them right in position. No need to have other holes, since the reflectors here are a single unit.
I'm just guessing, I don't have this windsurfer here... but I would like to try it.

Solid aluminum is not any better that a foil veneered plastic, properly formed, parabola and accurate focal point location of the antenna.

The reflector not need be opaque either. This concept is easily demonstarted by the see-thru door on a microwave oven.

It's the metal that forms the barrier on a microwave (with the holes too small for the waves to pass through) not the glass/plastic part.

And solid aluminium will stand up to more abuse than anything foil veneered without deforming. So while "out the box" performance may be the same, in a few months time my money would be on the solid ali one.

You missed the point regarding what is reflective at the frequencies used here. Of course the metal in the oven's door is the reflector but it need not be opaque as such solid aluminum is not necessary.

Am I missing something here? I've done a 25000ft trip total so 12500ft (ish) with standard setup?

I just ordered this same exact one for 30$. My P3 is still on the way

So the P3 is different from the P2 and that it RTH when it loses video feed and not control?

the P2 would lose video feed but wont RTH until the control signal is lost.

You missed the point regarding what is reflective at the frequencies used here. Of course the metal in the oven's door is the reflector but it need not be opaque as such solid aluminum is not necessary.

Yup I must admit you've lost me! I must have missed the point.

Microwaves operate at 2.45Ghz so very close to the 2.4Ghz that our P3's operate at.

You know these microwaves can pass through glass and plastic (lucky that or when you put you ready-meal in the microwave inside its plastic container it wouldn't heat up) and the layer of metal in front of the glass door is because the waves can pass through glass.

So you know metal is the best reflector yet insist it doesn't need to be opaque?

Please tell me more about this clear metal you're suggesting we use?

I just ordered this same exact one for 30$. My P3 is still on the way

So the P3 is different from the P2 and that it RTH when it loses video feed and not control?

the P2 would lose video feed but wont RTH until the control signal is lost.

I fly in an urban area, so im not sure. But I lose video, then a dozen feet later control.

I fly in an urban area, so im not sure. But I lose video, then a dozen feet later control.

Can say I have the Aluminium version and it works much more better than the 3D printed version, rather then losing signal I bottle out and I live in an extra urban area with lots of interferance.

Would not recommend it lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub