Triple your P3P range with an aluminum range booster!!!!

Im getting pretty good range but I notice around 4500-5000ft, my quad is starting to lose control signal. My video signal remains at full bars. Matter of fact, I have never seen a bar drop on my video signal.

isnt the video signal supposed to go out first? is there any tips you guys can give me?

I am pointing my windsurfer at my quad (or where I think it is because its so far that i cannot see it)

thanks

I am pointing my windsurfer at my quad (or where I think it is because its so far that i cannot see it)

Sorry if this is stating something you already know - but - the radar screen in the lower left corner will show you where the drone is in relation to you - aka, pointing the controller at the drone.

Nono they are vertical. You aim the antenna toward the sky like usual :)
These are all "corner reflectors"..ideally giving about 12db forward gain and about 25db rear reduction. That's focusing forward with about 16 times the usual signal. Range and TX signal level are not related 1 to 1. The receive "gain" is the same. So a tripling of usable range would be about normal. Don't turn your back to the quad!

Really really really good information here. Is there one Parabolic Reflector that works better than the others? If so, can you link us over to the best of the best? (USA)....

Sorry if this is stating something you already know - but - the radar screen in the lower left corner will show you where the drone is in relation to you - aka, pointing the controller at the drone.

Right Im learning to keep the green line on the map in a straight vertical position and that seems to help. Im usually flying obstacles directly ahead of me which is why I fly at 400ft but once you get far those obstacles become an issue. I was able to get 5000ft in an urban area. I guess thats pretty **** good. I chickened out and turned around before RTH kicked in. still losing control before video but i would rather have it that way

This is the one I have just bought. Got to test it out yet though.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445586360.528721.jpg

Reactions: D4T_PoM
On a side note, anytime the quad is overhead having the controller's antennas parallel to the ground is the best orientation. Having said that it is the worst orientation for the quads antennas as the tips are the least effective or sensitive radio signal reception or transmission.
I do a lot of spherical panoramas from directly overhead at various elevations. At 400 feet, with my unmodded transmitter, even with a windsurfer pointed up and both antennas straight out, I would frequently completely lose signal, ruining my panorama, because RTH kicks in and immediately changes the elevation, forcing me to start over again. Since I purchased a transmitter with the FPVLR 2 mod and the boosters, I have never had another issue hovering directly overhead at any altitude. Just another additional benefit of the mod.:cool:

So I love my P3P, but wasn't thrilled that at 1900 feet away I would lose signal and it would RTH.

So, I ordered a Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 Windsurfer

Incredible.

Today, from the same location as my 1900 feet away flights, I went out to 6000 feet before my signal broke up!!!

So it more than tripled my range, for a MEASLY (In the scale of things) $28 bucks.

This is a US seller so shipping was quick, quality is great, AND a carrying case is included. 10/10 would buy again :)

Here are some pictures.

Why are you only getting a little over a mile? Ive gone 23000ft and no signal issues?? Btw i got my range boosters from ebay 12.99

Just bought one from the eBay listing. I don't really do really long flights (generally only fly 1 mile away or less). But I fly in my suburbs and have had times when reception started to get a little spotty and then I regain good reception shortly after (hopefully this will prevent this).

I do a lot of spherical panoramas from directly overhead at various elevations. At 400 feet, with my unmodded transmitter, even with a windsurfer pointed up and both antennas straight out, I would frequently completely lose signal, ruining my panorama, because RTH kicks in and immediately changes the elevation, forcing me to start over again. Since I purchased a transmitter with the FPVLR 2 mod and the boosters, I have never had another issue hovering directly overhead at any altitude. Just another additional benefit of the mod.:cool:

Unless I am misunderstanding you, when you are flying off in a distance, your windsurfer should point in the direction of the drone with the antennas pointed straight up. The strongest signal comes off the sides of the antennas, not out of their tips.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, when you are flying off in a distance, your windsurfer should point in the direction of the drone with the antennas pointed straight up. The strongest signal comes off the sides of the antennas, not out of their tips.
Yes, you are correct on both accounts. It's just a misunderstanding. I am referring to flying directly overhead at 400 feet above me, which is the only situation where you want the stock antennas horizontal to the ground, but even that orientation is marginal when directly overhead. Using a spherically polarized directional transmitter antenna pointed up with a booster really helps in this situation, and in all others as well!

I believe the windsurfers also defer the strong signal that really makes a difference, ive flown behind trees and buildings and only sometimes ill get pixelated screen a bit bit nothing major. It also protects the signal from your body believe it or not that signal can cause damage, i feel better detouring the signal forward

I had great signal without the boosters, and still have great signal with them

I believe the windsurfers also defer the strong signal that really makes a difference, ive flown behind trees and buildings and only sometimes ill get pixelated screen a bit bit nothing major. It also protects the signal from your body believe it or not that signal can cause damage, i feel better detouring the signal forward
What a load of cobblers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers