Question about range testing

Reaction score
Today I got out over a mile (almost 5500 feet), my farthest flight so far with the ARGtek antenna. The first time the low signal alert came on I stopped forward motion and hovered for a few seconds, and the signal improved so I went a little further, and did that a few times until I reached about 5480 feet. Then the low signal came on again and I figured I would call it quits and bring her on home. Honestly I was a little nervous having it out that far. I was flying over a local reservoir.

My question is: when testing for max range, do you guys fly out until RTH kicks in, and then once signal is reestablished you go back to manual controls? Or do you just keep pushing until it seems like the signal is so weak you can't really go any farther and just turn back? I have seen some videos where it seems like some people purposely fly out of range. I guess thats the only way to find out max range but I have never tried it.

I always calibrate in new areas and setup my RTH settings for every flight. I am happy with the distance I got today but honestly I was hoping for something a little better, like something over 6000 feet. The area I was flying is far away from houses, businesses, fairly remote.

When I have tested mine, I fly until I lose control (signal lost) this is usually past the point where I have lost video feed. I do this out over lake ontario away from civilization.

"My question is: when testing for max range, do you guys fly out until RTH kicks in?" YES, if your truly want a max range test. But for me at least, if I'm already past my max distance record, sometimes I'll turn around and head back since it's a new record no matter. Maybe because the battery is getting low, or I'm not liking the area it's starting to fly over.
"Then once signal is reestablished you go back to manual controls?" Yes, if it reconnects, it does more than not. But it's not 100% that it always reconnects. There's some tricks you can try to get it to reconnect, but that's hit or miss too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31