Triple your P3P range with an aluminum range booster!!!!

Reaction score
So I love my P3P, but wasn't thrilled that at 1900 feet away I would lose signal and it would RTH.

So, I ordered a Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 Windsurfer

Incredible.

Today, from the same location as my 1900 feet away flights, I went out to 6000 feet before my signal broke up!!!

So it more than tripled my range, for a MEASLY (In the scale of things) $28 bucks.

This is a US seller so shipping was quick, quality is great, AND a carrying case is included. 10/10 would buy again :)

Here are some pictures.

Reactions: timz5011 and fly_it
I know I was at almost 500 feet here, my fault and it wont happen again. I thought my P3P was programmed in feet, so I set the RTH altitude at 150. Whoops... So when I lost signal at 6000 feet away it went up to 150 METERS before I regained signal and brought it back down.

These are very popular here and often called 'Windsurfers'.

There's a few vendors in the U.S. and elsewhere.

So I love my P3P, but wasn't thrilled that at 1900 feet away I would lose signal and it would RTH.

So, I ordered a Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 Windsurfer

Incredible.

Today, from the same location as my 1900 feet away flights, I went out to 6000 feet before my signal broke up!!!

So it more than tripled my range, for a MEASLY (In the scale of things) $28 bucks.

This is a US seller so shipping was quick, quality is great, AND a carrying case is included. 10/10 would buy again :)

Here are some pictures.

I have the exact same ones, they are a hell of a lot better then my 3D printes windsurfer.

Is it really made of aluminum or aluminum lined plastic? That's great that you triple your range even though the claim is 50-100% and mine only gave me 50%, but to 1800m (~6000 ft) It must be other factors also as your 6000 ft is only what the P3 is supposed to do straight out of the box.

Is it really made of aluminum or aluminum lined plastic? That's great that you triple your range even though the claim is 50-100% and mine only gave me 50%, but to 1800m (~6000 ft) It must be other factors also as your 6000 ft is only what the P3 is supposed to do straight out of the box.

Solid aluminum with the plastic mount.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the original range but given I'm flying suburban, its not bad. Im flying from the street, taking off in between trees and homes so the signal isn't great. The 6000 feet is fantastic though!

Heres a picture from that trip, 4000x3000.

Reactions: BigAl07
Solid aluminum is not any better that a foil veneered plastic, properly formed, parabola and accurate focal point location of the antenna.

The reflector not need be opaque either. This concept is easily demonstarted by the see-thru door on a microwave oven.

Reactions: Phil H
Solid aluminum is not any better that a foil veneered plastic, properly formed, parabola and accurate focal point location of the antenna.

The reflector not need be opaque either. This concept is easily demonstarted by the see-thru door on a microwave oven.

In terms of longevity I believe that the aluminum will last longer than a foil veneered plastic, as it is MUCH more resistant to scratches.

Interesting, I never thought of it like the doors of a microwave oven.. I guess they both reflect?

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Yes, it will outlast your Phantom too! :)

Reactions: ovyyus
How wide is the beam on this antenna? I mean, how far to the sides can you fly before you have to rotate the transmitter towards the P3?

Tried my windsurfer out and was about to get 2800 m out before signal was going and I turned around

At Doheny beach I went 10,000ft. I turned around due to limited battery but ended up with 28% when I landed. I bought the foil skinned version, but two pc version, one for each antenna. Those pack easy in my backpack. They absolutely ROCK.

Reactions: BigAl07
The aluminum version looks a little smoother than the 3d printed one I'm using. Looks like that listing on ebay is closed for now though.

With my current plastic/aluminum tape windsurfer, I had one flight to over 21,000' with 5 bars. That was with pretty much perfect conditions. Landed with 20%, flying at 320'. No other mods. HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Reactions: bobmyers
The aluminum version looks a little smoother than the 3d printed one I'm using. Looks like that listing on ebay is closed for now though.

With my current plastic/aluminum tape windsurfer, I had one flight to over 21,000' with 5 bars. That was with pretty much perfect conditions. Landed with 20%, flying at 320'. No other mods. HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Thats awesome... Id panic haha! Signals good at the beach?

I have a question about these type of boosters. Doesn't this basically send / receive the signals through the ground. It seems like it's aimed down.

I have a question about these type of boosters. Doesn't this basically send / receive the signals through the ground. It seems like it's aimed down.

Nono they are vertical. You aim the antenna toward the sky like usual :)

Reactions: Ted

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl