Tilt Control IS Enabled Ch. 7 for 3.08 SOLVED -really!

Reaction score
Edited with final, complete instructions:

Really solved the Tilt control for Ch.7 completely!
It took all day, but the forum got it figured out. Thank you for all your help today, the following members were instrumental in getting this done: DirtyBird, Bountyhunter, opassac, Geert, cougar, Mori55, themosttoys (Feb 2009 post), samd012. Thanks!
Here are the steps you need to take to get the Channel 7 (x1) tilt lever working to control your camera’s up/down tilt and no longer have to rely on button pushes for jerky movement in the app:

1. Get a tilt control lever. I got this one: http://www.multicopterwarehouse.com/ind ... uct_id=111
2. Download and install DJI Assitant 3.4 (10/29/14 version - Tuesday's version has been updated). Download and upgrade the firmware to version 3.08. Power cycle the Phantom. Do NOT upgrade the zenmuse gimbal to the latest firmware 1.0.0.6... it will make tilt lever "relative"
3. Once the new firmware is installed, re-connect to the Assistant 3.4, go to the Basic/RC tab, and click the “Upgrade Version” radio button under “Transmitter Version”. Click on “view” and close the assistant software. Power cyclethe Phantom. Turn on the controller and calibrate the x1 lever. Try it out.

****At this point, those that have already have a calibrated x1 channel (you can already fully control the camera through its full tilt motion) should be ready to go. If you have downloaded the "new" 3.4 assistant software (DJI silently updated it 10/29), the rest of this does not apply anymore as you will now have the ability to calibrate x1 in the Assistant software. I you do not have that ability for some reason, feel free to read on with what had to be done before DJI updated the 3.4 Assistant.

4. Go to the droneslinger page http://droneslinger.com/software.html and download the Assistant version 1.08, install.
5. Power on the phantom, connect to the computer, and run the Assistant 1.08 software. Go to upgrade tab. “Upgrade” (actually downgrade) the firmware to 1.08. Power off the Phantom and close the Assistant software.
6. Go to this link and download a RAR file unzipping tool (any RAR unzipping file tool will do this is the free RAR extract frog from CNET) http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Extra ... D=10880743
7. Go to this link and download the Phantom2-tool.rar Use the RAR unzipping tool to unzip it.https://www.dropbox.com/s/icz90nramn56m ... 2-tool.rar
8. Power on the Phantom, connect to your computer (with no DJI Assistant running yet). Run the Phantom2-tool. Select the H3-2D checkbox. Close the Phantom2-tool.
9. With the Phantom still powered on and connected to the computer, now run run the DJI Assistant 1.08 program again. Click the Basic tab, run the x1 calibration. Move the Ch 7 tilt lever through its stops a few times. Click finish. Close the Assistant 1.08
10. Open DJI Assistant 3.4. Upgrade the firmware to version 3.08 again. Be sure to click the Upgraded controller version again. Make sure your zenmuse firmware is NOT updated. Power cycle. You should now be able to use your tilt lever to control camera tilt. You should also be able to re-calibrate your x1 axis in the Basic/RC section.

Note: If you run Assistant version 3.2 for any reason, like for upgrading battery firmware, tilt control mayl no longer work in the vision app for iPhone or android. You must run 3.04 again, cycle back to basic, then upgrade again, then close and it will work fine.

Enjoy!!! I hope this gets you through the process without any issues. The first 8 pages of this thread are posts trying to figure this all out. Whatever comes after page 9 or so comes after this edit has been posted.

Below is the original post for this thread:

I downloaded the new firmware today in my Assistant version 3.2. I was wondering where all the new features are, went on DJI website, and found out I needed Assistant version 3.4

Once I downloaded and installed version 3.4, the new features appeared. Just as advertised by the DJI post earlier.

There is a section the Basic/RC tab that lets you select which controller you are using; either the "upgraded" or the "Basic version" may be selected by radio button. Very exciting.

I have a channel 7 slide installed on my controller (in the hopes that this upgrade was coming). I simply cycled the phantom, turned on the controller and viola! Tilt control. One issue, it doesn't seem calibrated correctly. The camera will tilt up and down, but only a limited amount.

Try as I might, I can find no place to calibrate the Ch 7 tilt control (Phantom axis X1). There doesn't seem to be a place to do so in the Assistant software, so I tried the Remote Assistant software, after checking for an upgrade to that (which there is none). Can't find anything there either.

Once I started the Phantom, and connected to it via WIFI from my iPhone (there is no update to vision app), the Ch. 7 slider was disabled again and would not tilt the camera.

Re: Tilt Control IS Enabled Ch. 7

Did a calibration in the RC Assistant, but it had no effect on the outcome (everything calibrated fine, but no difference in tilt control).

Once the Phantom is connected via WIFI to the Vision App on my iphone, tilt control is lost.

I am going to try and select the "upgraded controler" radio button, rebind and see if that has any effect.

From what I understand Ch. 7 is not supported in this new firmware update unless you buy the new remote. This is no good for people like you and me who have installed the tilt lever in hopes it would be added to the firmware update.

Next step was to select the "upgraded" transmitter radio button and power cycle the Phantom.

Same behavior as before at first; Ch 7 did slightly change the tilt angle on the camera. Fingers crossed. Connected via WiFi to Vision app on iPhone....

BAM! CH. 7 tilt lever works. But...

Its still only traveling a small amount of the available tilt angle. Hmmmm...

Summary to Enable Ch 7 tilt function:

1. Put a tilt lever on the Ch.7 pot on the back of the "basic" controller.
2. Upgrade to Assistant Software version 3.4
3. Upgrade to firmware version 3.08
4. Power cycle the Phantom (there are a few upgrades you must power cycle through and perform an advanced IMU calibration)
5. Under the Basic/RC tab, click the "Upgraded" controller radio button.
6. Power cycle.
7. Ready to use.... but still cannot get full arc of rotation because the software will not allow me to calibrate the X1 (Ch.7) correctly. ARRGH! Anyone else figure it out?

<thought> wonder if I should just by a Futuba controller???

Not sure if it will help, i'm not near my bird to try, but i do recall sometime ago geting a hacked assistant software (or some kind of tool) wich allowed the tilt calibration.
Wonder if it is compatible with the new assistant and app.

If needed i can send the tool software when i get home.

DrJoe said:
Summary to Enable Ch 7 tilt function:

1. Put a tilt lever on the Ch.7 pot on the back of the "basic" controller.
2. Upgrade to Assistant Software version 3.4
3. Upgrade to firmware version 3.08
4. Power cycle the Phantom (there are a few upgrades you must power cycle through and perform an advanced IMU calibration)
5. Under the Basic/RC tab, click the "Upgraded" controller radio button.
6. Power cycle.
7. Ready to use.... but still cannot get full arc of rotation because the software will not allow me to calibrate the X1 (Ch.7) correctly. ARRGH! Anyone else figure it out?

<thought> wonder if I should just by a Futuba controller???
Is there any chance that your lever wasn't centered when you installed it? Maybe you're just not within the proper range. Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion... but I centered everything and then calibrated in the RC Assistant. Several times, no change.

DrJoe said:
Thanks for the suggestion... but I centered everything and then calibrated in the RC Assistant. Several times, no change.
:eek: Well that sucks!
I've been watching for this update, and still hang onto my Drone Expert channel 7 mod. I was contemplating taking them off with the update, but maybe hold off until this gets sorted :?:
Anyone else get it to work on the plus?

works for me too.
Note for all- in the new 3.4 assistant dji has you select the controller (regular or new upgraded). Ch7 ONLY works when selecting the upgraded RC, even if you have the older one.
DJI will probably confuse a lot of people because they put a drawing of the Ch7 slider in the old remote control, leading you to select this mode incorrectly...

In any case, did you try the tilt feature without the app connected?
It tilted full range (90 degrees) without the app even before the release of the new firmware. Did you notice any change in the range? If not - I would think your arc range issue is not related to the new firmware.

Re: Tilt Control IS Enabled Ch. 7 SOLVED

Ok, so its not a perfect fix, but it works for me now....

The Tilt lever comes with a small restriction plate to limit the travel of the tilt arm. I removed the plate and let the tilt arm move through it's range.

I re-calibrated in RC assistant.

Now, connected to WiFi and the Vision app, the camera tilt lever moves the gimbal tilt through its entire range! Cue confetti and dancing bikini models!

If anyone can tell me how to do that WITH the restriction plate installed, it would be much appreciated, but I can live with this!!!

Can you post a link to dji where you can order the switch? I can't find it.
phaz

Geert said:
RJ Evans said:
phaz said:
Can you post a link to dji where you can order the switch? I can't find it.
phaz

Just edited the original post. But, here it is again :)

https://store.dji.com/product/2-4g-radio-controller

This controller is for the P2 and not for the P2V+

For P2V+ it is : https://store.dji.com/product/5-8g-radi ... oller-npvt
5.8ghz is for P2V+ and the 2.4ghz controller is for P2.

Geert./.

Yeah. My bad. I ordered the wrong one. :oops: But, I sent an email to DJI Sales and asked them to swap it for the right one. I need coffee. :roll:

https://store.dji.com/product/5-8g-radi ... oller-npvt

great news.. this is what we all have been waiting for.. We spoke and DJI finally listened!

Has anyone else gotten this to work with an existing controller???

I added the tilt lever to my PSV+ controller in anticipation of this firmware update.

I just installed the new firmware. In the Basic / RC screen of the new assistant is has two choices under "Transmitter Version":

- Upgrade Version.
- Basic Version.

If I hover my mouse over the choices the Upgrade option shows the brand new controller with the wheel control for tilt. If I hover over the Basic it shows the manual tilt lever installed on the back. This is my configuration. I added the tilt lever to my P2V+ controller.

However, with Basic selected the lever does nothing. If I select Upgrade the lever works but the tilt is only controlled through a narrow range of perhaps 30 degrees. When Upgrade is selected the same is now true for trying to control tilt through my iOS app. That is the tilt can now only be controlled over a short range. I can't point fully up to look straight out in front or fully down. Tilt from the iOS app works fine for Basic. Just no lever control...

So, anyone got the tilt lever to work with the new firmware?

Is there some calibration I missed (I don't see any for the 7th channel...)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl