Should I update my phanton 3 advanced to the latest firmware 1.50030

Reactions: skyhighdiver
@aka1ceman

You know you can buy all the parts to build and program pretty much whatever you want. This is a good place to start:
DIY Drones

But if you are buying from a company that does all the building and programming for you (in other words you are lazy or not good at technology) you can't blame that company from being a good citizen, it is their corporate decision to comply as much as possible with governments on this planet.

I think this is a good thing anyone who does not have the knowledge or aspiration to program and build from scratch probably does not have the wisdom to fly intelligently in the first place so I think it is a good and smart corporate decision to help keep casual MR users legal with software restrictions.

Here in the USA I wish they had a set limit to 1500' horizontal and 395' AGL that could not be turned off, as well as GEOfencing that was hard to turn off. It would keep everyone much safer and cause far fewer crashes and "unexplained fell out of the sky" problems, ultimately saving users an lot of money. This is for across the counter products, for more advanced users there has to be a responsible system, and it is there a commercial model costs $6,000.00 and up so pros tend not to risk their investments and they have to have a 333 exception and fly within very strict rules and are accountable by N-numbers, just like GA pilots of full size planes.

There are lots of rules for driving cars as well. I personally wish cars were chipped so they could not exceed speed limits and automatically pull over for emergency vehicles. I spent a fair bit of time driving ambulances and it is amazing how poor and dangerous most drivers are.

So it only makes sense to have restrictions flying these MRs in our airspace. The biggest problem is education, we need for every operator to understand the National airspace rules and restrictions, it took a long time to develop one of the safest systems in the world. And we need to keep it that way.

If you just buy a MR and go fly you have no understanding of the rules, so an automatic system that keeps you legal and safe is a great idea. And I think DJI should be commended for making the skies safer.

Yes we need the govment to protect us from ourselves. They also need to legislate a law requiring drone insurance against personal/property damage, just like automobile. $1000/yr seems fair.

See your trying to limit people then later try to teach them right from wrong. I believe to teach them how to do it right to begin with and allow laws to work as they do. We don't need more sheeple. Controlling people will not stop stupid accidents from happening. I don't care how much DJI decides to restrict it's product, those stupid things will happen because people are Not sheeple as you would like them to be and will do wrong any way.

To be honest the only reason I purchased a DJI product was their light bridge. You can quote me on this..... if any other company can develop or copy the light bridge technology for distance, and chooses not to for restrictions, DJI WILL go out of business. When given a choice this is where free enterprise in the US kicks in.

*** 1 question to your logic. If we had speed limiting chips in our cars how would that stop the clown from yanking the wheel to the right and plowing over those on the sidewalk? Or still rear ending another car "under" the speed limit? It doesn't do guarantee anything. Restrictions are only that. Restrictions.
So meanwhile, you keep flying your drone at 394 and 1500 and it still won't guarantee you won't take out an innocent bystander. PS you are more than welcome to self impose your limits on what you do.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Yes we need the govment to protect us from ourselves. They also need to legislate a law requiring drone insurance against personal/property damage, just like automobile. $1000/yr seems fair.
If you join the AMA you get insurance for the $75.00 (or less depending on your age) you get $2,500,000 liability insurance as long as you fly by the AMA rules.

Full "OPEN" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $38 Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.

To be honest the only reason I purchased a DJI product was their light bridge. You can quote me on this..... if any other company can develop or copy the light bridge technology for distance, and chooses not to for restrictions, DJI WILL go out of business. When given a choice this is where free enterprise in the US kicks in.
Actually there are several companies making much more robust 1080 and 4K wireless video links that you could easily incorporate in a big MR. But the cost $7K and up. TeraDek has even cheaper ones.

You can also add light bridge to an old S800, S900 or S1000 with a old WKM or new A2 with no GPS hooked up. No restrictions, but you have to be a bit more of a builder, or hire someone to build it for you.

We differ on our views on what keeps people from getting hurt. From a lot of experience as an EMT I can tell you speed and alcohol kills and maims an absolutely incredible number of people in cars. And I do think education is helping to lower these numbers. So to me the #1 priority is education, but I think rules and laws are very important as well. If laws with a lot of speed traps keep people from speeding that saves lives, chipped cars would save even more. I think soon because of all the new technology we will have (actually already do in some cars) systems that apply brakes and steer away from accidents. A lot of that cool technology is coming from the same people playing with and developing autonomous flight. I think that is great.

I can tell you speed and alcohol kills and maims an absolutely incredible number of people in cars.
I dont deny that speed and alcohol can kill ...yet is NOT the only characteristic that causes injury. Slow sober drivers also cause accidents. So where is the line? Do we ban All cars because some have been hurt?
PS dont take for granted thinking your the only 1 who has been around EMT situations.

. If laws with a lot of speed traps keep people from speeding that saves lives, chipped cars would save even more.
This is only theory. Speed traps only trap people (giving a ticket) but does it make the speeded fear speeding? NO only the fact of paying a fine, and may or will speed around the corner past the trap. Take it From someone who travels just shy of 100k miles per year driving (and driving is Not my job)

A lot of that cool technology is coming from the same people playing with and developing autonomous flight. I think that is great.
At this point it no longer becomes a hobby. If these limits were to be in effect, nothing would separate the P3 from a $30 pocket drone since the next guy thinks your too liberal and thinks the range needs to be reduced to 50' distance because an idiot hit someone on the sidewalk in front of their house.

Actually there are several companies making much more robust 1080 and 4K wireless video links that you could easily incorporate in a big MR. But the cost $7K and up. TeraDek has even cheaper ones.

You can also add light bridge to an old S800, S900 or S1000 with a old WKM or new A2 with no GPS hooked up. No restrictions, but you have to be a bit more of a builder, or hire someone to build it for you..
I did consider building one. But I was intrigued with the new FPV, and GPS technology. (And have been explaining this new stuff to my father who I watched built Ham radios from scratch over 30 yrs ago) Ive been in RC since the 70s with line control, RC boats, cars, trucks and planes of which I have built many from scratch. Then I got into photography after my wife got a nice Nikon and I did videos for my daughters competitions.
When I purchased a P3, it was fine out of the box. It wasnt till the firmware starting restrictions this was an issue.

Last edited:
@aka1ceman

You know you can buy all the parts to build and program pretty much whatever you want. This is a good place to start:
DIY Drones

But if you are buying from a company that does all the building and programming for you (in other words you are lazy or not good at technology) you can't blame that company from being a good citizen, it is their corporate decision to comply as much as possible with governments on this planet.

I think this is a good thing anyone who does not have the knowledge or aspiration to program and build from scratch probably does not have the wisdom to fly intelligently in the first place so I think it is a good and smart corporate decision to help keep casual MR users legal with software restrictions.

Here in the USA I wish they had a set limit to 1500' horizontal and 395' AGL that could not be turned off, as well as GEOfencing that was hard to turn off. It would keep everyone much safer and cause far fewer crashes and "unexplained fell out of the sky" problems, ultimately saving users an lot of money. This is for across the counter products, for more advanced users there has to be a responsible system, and it is there a commercial model costs $6,000.00 and up so pros tend not to risk their investments and they have to have a 333 exception and fly within very strict rules and are accountable by N-numbers, just like GA pilots of full size planes.

There are lots of rules for driving cars as well. I personally wish cars were chipped so they could not exceed speed limits and automatically pull over for emergency vehicles. I spent a fair bit of time driving ambulances and it is amazing how poor and dangerous most drivers are.

So it only makes sense to have restrictions flying these MRs in our airspace. The biggest problem is education, we need for every operator to understand the National airspace rules and restrictions, it took a long time to develop one of the safest systems in the world. And we need to keep it that way.

If you just buy a MR and go fly you have no understanding of the rules, so an automatic system that keeps you legal and safe is a great idea. And I think DJI should be commended for making the skies safer.
This way of thinking that the government and laws will protect us from anything and everything is what is pathetic about today's society. How about a little personal responsibility. We have laws against driving under the influence, laws on gun control, laws against drug use and we have laws against just about everything but still tens of thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers and criminals. Laws and restrictions don't prevent stupid people from doing stupid things or criminals from committing crimes, they just restrict responsible law abiding people from enjoying life by laying down blanket restrictions that have no hope in reducing stupidity. You may want the government to guide you thru life but true life comes with some risk unless you just want to stay home and do nothing.

This way of thinking that the government and laws will protect us from anything and everything is what is pathetic about today's society. How about a little personal responsibility. We have laws against driving under the influence, laws on gun control, laws against drug use and we have laws against just about everything but still tens of thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers and criminals. Laws and restrictions don't prevent stupid people from doing stupid things or criminals from committing crimes, they just restrict responsible law abiding people from enjoying life by laying down blanket restrictions that have no hope in reducing stupidity. You may want the government to guide you thru life but true life comes with some risk unless you just want to stay home and do nothing.
Amen

Reactions: bobmyers
to OP ... YES, Always stay up to date with the firmware. I have Updated every time the day it was released. Only had one issue and that was with the VPS. It was reported and quickly fixed with an update.

Reactions: bobmyers
to OP ... YES, Always stay up to date with the firmware. I have Updated every time the day it was released. Only had one issue and that was with the VPS. It was reported and quickly fixed with an update.
Or if you are like me and your warranty expires before flying weather next spring you can stay on the firmware you are at. I am still on 1.3.20 and having no issues at all. I refuse to take the chance of possibly introducing a bug from the new firmware that my phantom doesn't have, unless of course dji will warranty issues introduced by their updates, which we all know is highly unlikely. When I updated from 1.19 to 1.26 I crashed my bird because of the vps issue introduced by 1.26, 1.3.20 fixed the issue with the vps and fortunately the crash was minor and the only thing that was broken was the gimbal plate. So unless dji states that they will warranty my phantom after the one year if I crash it due to firmware issues I will stay where I am at. Just my opinion, it is my $1250.00 so it is the only opinion that counts to me.

Reactions: lotusteve
So after all this ranting and conspiricy theories should we update or not?!!

With all this talk about DJI GO restrictions, is there an app that has no restrictions ??

That is a decision you have to make. The info is out there. There is plenty of arguments to support both sides. It all depends on what you want. If you want to enjoy the new options for the phantom then by all means update but just realize that there is a chance that you may get some things you did not bargain for and there is no way to go back. Once you update you are in it for the long haul, good or bad.

If you join the AMA you get insurance for the $75.00 (or less depending on your age) you get $2,500,000 liability insurance as long as you fly by the AMA rules.

Full "OPEN" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $38 Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.

The AMA membership is a joke, your only covered if you fly at one of their club fields. I have a few around me, funny thing is they don't let drone fly LOL

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That is a decision you have to make. The info is out there. There is plenty of arguments to support both sides. It all depends on what you want. If you want to enjoy the new options for the phantom then by all means update but just realize that there is a chance that you may get some things you did not bargain for and there is no way to go back. Once you update you are in it for the long haul, good or bad.
thanks for your advice

The AMA membership is a joke, your only covered if you fly at one of their club fields. I have a few around me, funny thing is they don't let drone fly LOL
I belong to 3 AMA clubs and all 3 are happy to let MRs fly. You can't do single pilot FPV but it is fine if you have a safety pilot.

These fields are a great place to learn in a very safe environment. There are many members that fly DJI products and have a lot of experience, and love to help new pilots hone skills.

Granted some clubs are a bit exclusive but these days that is changing. It used to be some clubs frowned on electric power models, "real pilots fly nitro", was not unusual, no doubt there are some clubs like that still. But these days at the 3 clubs I belong to anyway about half of the models are electric and we see more and more MRs.

There also is a Park Flyer program:
Academy of Model Aeronautics - Park Pilot Welcome

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 08.36.40.jpg

Just don't rush into the next update especially if you are not having any current issues. Since I have yet to find DJI notifying us the new limitations in the release notes. Let someone else be the ginnea pig and see what the changes are. Then make the decision based on your situation.

A billionaire once asked me a question. What's the best way to cross a mine field?
Follow somebody :)

Reactions: Bigskyflyer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl