Should I update my phanton 3 advanced to the latest firmware 1.50030

If you join the AMA you get insurance for the $75.00 (or less depending on your age) you get $2,500,000 liability insurance as long as you fly by the AMA rules.

Full "OPEN" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $38 Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.
in order to be covered by this you have to be flying at a ama authorised flying site covered by ama rules

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I belong to 3 AMA clubs and all 3 are happy to let MRs fly. You can't do single pilot FPV but it is fine if you have a safety pilot.

These fields are a great place to learn in a very safe environment. There are many members that fly DJI products and have a lot of experience, and love to help new pilots hone skills.

Granted some clubs are a bit exclusive but these days that is changing. It used to be some clubs frowned on electric power models, "real pilots fly nitro", was not unusual, no doubt there are some clubs like that still. But these days at the 3 clubs I belong to anyway about half of the models are electric and we see more and more MRs.

There also is a Park Flyer program:
Academy of Model Aeronautics - Park Pilot Welcome

View attachment 36925
on the accident/ medical insurance.
if you get hurt by a prop or other you have to go through your own medical insurance first.
i was at the ama club field that i belong to flying my free flifggt model and got caught by a prop spining at about 32000 rpm.
split the end of my thumb.
off to the er i go.total cost was about two grand
contacted ama and they told me i would have to go through my insurance and ama woud pay what my insurance didn't

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Since this conversation has taken a turn towards insurance (Although I am pretty sure the $1000.00 per year figure introduced was not meant to be taken seriously) I thought I would toss this option into the mix.

https://www.neary-aerial.com/home.html

It's not exactly insurance or a warranty. As far as I can tell, it's better.

Any insurance policy or warranty for a drone is going to be loaded with clauses about what is covered and what isn't and since negligence is never covered, you are almost always not going to be covered. No matter how you crash or what causes it, some kind of negligence can always be found on the part of the pilot. There is always some calibration that should have been done, some weather report that should have been read, or the way you charged or stored your battery, or something that can be blamed on the pilot and void your warranty or insurance claim.

This is a service contract. He is betting that more people will buy this contract and not use it, then the number of people who crash and need repair. From what I understand, the circumstances don't even come into play.

Here's how it works (from a conversation with the owner of the company):

1. Something happens and your drone is damaged.
2. Send it in
3. They repair or replace it and send it back.
4. Done.

You pay an annual fee for this. For a Phantom 3 Professional for the Gold package (Best offered package) it costs $239.00 per year.
It covers all these things (Shows both Silver and Gold Packages):
c2dfb05e49c62c6d7694c336b3772570

I believe the only expense you will incur other than the annual fee is shipping charges. For the Gold package, there is no deductible. Everything is covered. If you have no claim in your first year, your second year fee will be reduced by 25%. If you have one claim, they will still reduce your second year's fee, but by 20%.

With the Silver package, diagnostic fees are not covered and there is a $75.00 deductible. Percentage discounts for the second year are lower.

This is something I plan to do very shortly, as soon as I get past my Christmas bills. It is peace of mind.

I am just tossing this out there as an alternative option to an insurance policy that only covers you under certain circumstances with lots of small print. It may be pricier, but the no questions asked approach seems better to me.

Hope this helps someone.

Just don't rush into the next update especially if you are not having any current issues. Since I have yet to find DJI notifying us the new limitations in the release notes. Let someone else be the ginnea pig and see what the changes are. Then make the decision based on your situation.

A billionaire once asked me a question. What's the best way to cross a mine field?
Follow somebody :)
i like it bud, my saying i try to follow is "If it aint broke, dont fix it." think for the time being i will stay on my current firmware

Reactions: aka1ceman
So if my app already did the update, but I haven't updated my remote controller or my drone, can I keep the functionality of the 3rd party height unrestriction, without any adverse effect from having different firmware on the app and the drone.

I fly in rural guatemala, and I think it's totally BS, that Dji is going to limit my ability to fly to the tops of active volcanoes with no people around to capture great footage. They are bending to appeal to the authorities based on a few over hyped cases, and in effect, hurting the community that use their tools to do great things responsibly.

I'm gonna wait with the last version for now, is working great, and I live in Quito Ecuador, so I'm in the middle of Los Andes, lots of mountains and very big ones 4-6k meters tall, I'm currently at 2400m over the sea level so, is something to consider
[11/30, 14:44] Barreiro:
[11/30, 16:25] Barreiro:

I belong to 3 AMA clubs and all 3 are happy to let MRs fly. You can't do single pilot FPV but it is fine if you have a safety pilot.

These fields are a great place to learn in a very safe environment. There are many members that fly DJI products and have a lot of experience, and love to help new pilots hone skills.

Granted some clubs are a bit exclusive but these days that is changing. It used to be some clubs frowned on electric power models, "real pilots fly nitro", was not unusual, no doubt there are some clubs like that still. But these days at the 3 clubs I belong to anyway about half of the models are electric and we see more and more MRs.

There also is a Park Flyer program:
Academy of Model Aeronautics - Park Pilot Welcome

View attachment 36925

Your lucky you have clubs that allow you to fly. We have a club on the boarder of Valley Forge National Park, I've ask a few times and they have always said no

Your lucky you have clubs that allow you to fly. We have a club on the boarder of Valley Forge National Park, I've ask a few times and they have always said no
You can only fly at an AMA club if you are a current AMA member, or if you fly with someone who is and he is on a buddy box with you. Some clubs also make you join the club. But most will allow you to fly as guest a few times before joining the club, but unless you are an AMA member they can't let you fly at the club because of the insurance restriction in the charter of the club as a sanctioned AMA club.

Once you join they should let you fly anything as long as you abide by the rules. A lot of clubs have a special area set aside for Helis and especially heli practice. You also usually have to show your competence to a safety officer at the club before they sign you off.

The cool thing about joining the club and AMA is you will get probably hooked into all the great parts of this hobby and I bet you will be adding a plane to your fleet soon as well. The camaraderie in most clubs is great, lots of funflys and cookouts etc, you will meet some great people that love this hobby, and have fun just hanging out and watching others and learning, not to mention you can blow some minds with how incredible well you can fly and the videos will be greatly appreciated by the clubs. They will probably have you filming them flying 3D planes and and that is a fun challenge.

Are there some instructions posted on how to do the upgrade to 1.5? Do you do it thru the DJI app for the P3Pro?

you made me laugh.
a phantom on a buddy box this i gotta see.
i have been an AMA member sence 1960

you made me laugh.
a phantom on a buddy box this i gotta see.
i have been an AMA member sence 1960
I was just talking about how most clubs handle things. I have never seen a Phantom on a BuddyBox, but I have 4 other MRs that you can BuddyBox. And I do believe in BuddyBoxing.

Lately I have let some new fliers fly w/o BuddyBox right from the start as long as I take off and get up to a safe altitude and get everything trimmed out and rates and expo tuned for easy flight, especially with some of the AS3X machines including Chromas and other blade MRs.

Olof Ekbergh
President MWVRCC
AMA leader Member
AMA Instructor
Site: MWVRCC.com

You can only fly at an AMA club if you are a current AMA member, or if you fly with someone who is and he is on a buddy box with you. Some clubs also make you join the club. But most will allow you to fly as guest a few times before joining the club, but unless you are an AMA member they can't let you fly at the club because of the insurance restriction in the charter of the club as a sanctioned AMA club.

Once you join they should let you fly anything as long as you abide by the rules. A lot of clubs have a special area set aside for Helis and especially heli practice. You also usually have to show your competence to a safety officer at the club before they sign you off.

The cool thing about joining the club and AMA is you will get probably hooked into all the great parts of this hobby and I bet you will be adding a plane to your fleet soon as well. The camaraderie in most clubs is great, lots of funflys and cookouts etc, you will meet some great people that love this hobby, and have fun just hanging out and watching others and learning, not to mention you can blow some minds with how incredible well you can fly and the videos will be greatly appreciated by the clubs. They will probably have you filming them flying 3D planes and and that is a fun challenge.

I'm fully aware of what you need to do. I've been an AMA member for the last 25 years. They still don't want you flying, a lot of it has to do with the "Old School" thinking of a lot of the members. I remember trying to fly my RC Toys Dragan Flyer 12-13 years ago and was told no. Anyone remember starting out with one of those? Draganflyer V Ti RC Gyro Stabilized Electric Helicopter With Wireless Video Camera System

Your lucky you can fly where you are, are you near Jackson, NH? I love that place

I'm fully aware of what you need to do. I've been an AMA member for the last 25 years. They still don't want you flying, a lot of it has to do with the "Old School" thinking of a lot of the members. I remember trying to fly my RC Toys Dragan Flyer 12-13 years ago and was told no. Anyone remember starting out with one of those? Draganflyer V Ti RC Gyro Stabilized Electric Helicopter With Wireless Video Camera System

Your lucky you can fly where you are, are you near Jackson, NH? I love that place
Yes I am lucky. It is a Wonderfull part of the country. And our local AMA clubs are progressive I guess. I know exactly what you mean about old school nitro boys. But clubs need new members and MRs is the new fad. Just like 3D heils and electrics are taking over.

My club does a lot of outreach into the local schools, and there is huge interest in MRs there, these kids are the future AMA members. Clubs that don't realize that things are changing will just slowly demise. It used to be how fast do these models fly was the most common question, now FPV is the big thing.

To get back on subject.

I am flying:
app 2.4.2
fw ac 1.5.30
fw rc 1.5.70

iOS 9.1 on a iPad mini 2

5 flights so far, perfect no problems at all. I did have to go back and reprogram expo, braking and rates. The Camera settings stayed. It seems like the gimbal works much smoother for gentle moves (ease in and out works very well) I like a lot of expo especially on the yaw and I lower the range to 80% as well, keeps you smooth.

How about Android? I have now 1.4.0010 on RC and P3A.
Do I have to use the latest DJI GO with 1.5.0030. Now I have 2.4.0.
How stable is the latest DJI GO version?

If you join the AMA you get insurance for the $75.00 (or less depending on your age) you get $2,500,000 liability insurance as long as you fly by the AMA rules.

Full "OPEN" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $38 Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.
Awesome. I never had known that. Just signed up. Expecting to receive my card within 30 days.

Reactions: bobmyers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl