Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Old Gazer said:
mcurrier said:
Old Gazer said:
Here's a short video shot with the Rotorpixel gimbal yesterday.
http://vimeo.com/89727556

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Cool. From 2:36 - 5:20 the screen goes black. Looks like video ends at 2:36.

It does end at 2:36. I'm still figuring my way around Premier Pro.

In Premier Pro on the top of the timeline is the Work Area selector. Move it to the beginning and end of your video and re-render just the work area.

gpauk said:
I'm travelling and struggling to access phantompilots at the moment, so apologies if this has already been answered...

Keri - for those of us with gimbals (hopefully) en route, or not yet installed -- where was the short? Was is a cable assy fault, or a solder blob on the board.. or what? would also be useful for those with good installs, in case theirs are marginal...

Just received my replacement and it looks like solder ended up bridging at one of the connection points on the input jack. If you look closely at the #2 solder joint from the lower left in the image you can see where it wicked up to the bar above it. I was waiting for my replacement to confirm this since it almost looks like it should be that way.
Old
IMG_0927.JPG

New
IMG_0942.JPG

Nicely done! I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching Vision footage with a horizon in it that just doesn't move![/quote

Thanks. A good gimbal makes a world of difference.

ZonComGMZ said:
Old Gazer said:
mcurrier said:
Old Gazer said:
Here's a short video shot with the Rotorpixel gimbal yesterday.
http://vimeo.com/89727556

Cool. From 2:36 - 5:20 the screen goes black. Looks like video ends at 2:36.

It does end at 2:36. I'm still figuring my way around Premier Pro.

In Premier Pro on the top of the timeline is the Work Area selector. Move it to the beginning and end of your video and re-render just the work area.

Ahh. I see. Thanks

GetaGrip said:
gpauk said:
I'm travelling and struggling to access phantompilots at the moment, so apologies if this has already been answered...

Keri - for those of us with gimbals (hopefully) en route, or not yet installed -- where was the short? Was is a cable assy fault, or a solder blob on the board.. or what? would also be useful for those with good installs, in case theirs are marginal...

Just received my replacement and it looks like solder ended up bridging at one of the connection points on the input jack. If you look closely at the #2 solder joint from the lower left in the image you can see where it wicked up to the bar above it. I was waiting for my replacement to confirm this since it almost looks like it should be that way.
Old
IMG_0927.JPG

New
IMG_0942.JPG

Did you have to replace the main circuit board on the P2V? I am one of the unlucky ones with a shorted gimbal....dropped them a few emails on this. Still waiting for Keri's acknowledgement.

Flighttime said:
Did you have to replace the main circuit board on the P2V? I am one of the unlucky ones with a shorted gimbal....dropped them a few emails on this. Still waiting for Keri's acknowledgement.

Yes you will need to replace this board

DJIPV-10 DJI Phantom 2 / Phantom 2 Vision Central Circuit Board
DJI-Parts-PV-10
dji-p2-vision-010-big.jpg

I'm sure Keri will be getting a hold of you shortly but I think he is in transit at the moment back to Canada. Personally I will be replacing the board myself with Rotorpixel picking up all costs. If you are not comfortable doing this let Keri know and I'm sure you can come to an agreement on how to get this done.

Thanks GetaGrip....that would explain the long wait for a reply from Keri. He's been pretty fast before this.
Seeing as I'm a long long long way away from Canada, it'd probably be quicker if I try to fix things from this side (with Keri's instructions of course).

I've ordered the main board while waiting for a reply because I've confirmed that the capacitor (at the top left side of the board - referring to your picture of the circuit board) was burnt out.

There's two more things I need to know:
1) would this short damage the FC200? or does the damage stop at the main circuit board capacitor?
2) for a quick fix on the gimbal side, assuming that the short happened at the solder point you posted in the earlier post, do you think I could de-solder and re-solder the wire properly and still have the gimbal working correctly?

Flighttime said:
There's two more things I need to know:

1) would this short damage the FC200? or does the damage stop at the main circuit board capacitor?

No, the power was terminated/shorted at the input to the RP gimbal so neither the FC-200 nor the gimbal were energized.

Flighttime said:
2) for a quick fix on the gimbal side, assuming that the short happened at the solder point you posted in the earlier post, do you think I could de-solder and re-solder the wire properly and still have the gimbal working correctly?

No, not without prior authorization from Rotorpixel/Keri.

Pull_Up said:
K-Fine said:
It is sounding like the extra $ paid for dronexpert gimbal is paying off two fold!

At the risk of going all Apple Fanboi-like there are a few people who would have taken the fewer $ and the longer wait for a Rotorpixel rather than a dronexpert so as not to have the jello issues, have to hot glue the level sensor in place on their camera, and not have the all-plastic construction split into a thousand pieces after a minor crash... But you do get an aluminium case to keep the bits in!

I'm being a bit unfair, but just pointing out that there hasn't been a perfect option found yet - although my personal experience is that the Rotorpixel when installed and working as design is going to be the closest to that yet in the third-party plug-and-play market.

I am in no way wishing any crash or destruction of any part of a phantom and pilot. I have had no problems with my gimbal as you have had no problems with yours. If you listen to 90% of this thread is the problems with the gimbal or the delay. I have never said anything bad about the gimbal... So why are you about mine? I wish all phantom pilots with great flying and great pictures. It's like if you are a iPhone or android, PC or Mac. I joined this forum to hear all the things about the phantom to help me or to help some else. I guess the one day when I crash my phantom and have to pick up all my pieces I will think of you. PS only 3 crashes so far because of the battery failure in November and none since my first phantom v1 last July of not knowing battery level. Happy flying!

Hello! I think you missed the bit where I said "I'm being a bit unfair, but..." The stuff before was a bit tongue in cheek based on a poster coming in and implying one gimbal must be better than another based on a few reports of issues. I was pointing out they all have had their issues.

TL;DR? Just read second paragraph. :)

Ever since I saw your unboxing, I've been dying to know why to RotorPixel gimbal is so heavy? Had it been an american gimbal I could understand it, as the american engineering tradition is to make things last: " Nice sporst car, but it weighs 2 tons (or some obscure way of messuring things) - we' ll just fit a 6.9 liter (or square inch) V8 in it, it'll drive just fine in a straight line!"

The Dronexpert gimbal is made of plastic (and is probably more radiolucent) and will break on hard impact? The RotorPixel is made of bricks, and will break anything in its path on impact (due to inertia) :lol:

No perfect solution so far? Any news on user confirmed flight times on the RotorPixel?

Schenso said:
DKDarkness said:
No perfect solution so far? Any news on user confirmed flight times on the RotorPixel?

We have to wait for a stronger battery i think :roll:

You mean a bigger V8?!? :lol:

GetaGrip said:
gpauk said:

Great -- that's very useful!

On another note, I see my Gimbal's tracking has suddenly changed to "Delivered!" .. Well, it hasn't been delivered to me so I'm hoping that means "delivered to the local postal service" in which case it might even arrive today.... :) :) :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94