Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

I'm trying to power my gimbal without soldering a new line from the battery. I'm trying to figure out if it's best to wire the power from the tilt motor power or the jack that goes into the back of the camera. Do you guys with a rotorpixel mind telling me how the gimbal is powered?

SlackerATX said:
I'm trying to power my gimbal without soldering a new line from the battery. I'm trying to figure out if it's best to wire the power from the tilt motor power or the jack that goes into the back of the camera. Do you guys with a rotorpixel mind telling me how the gimbal is powered?
I don't think you have to 'wire' anything, it gets power from the OEM servo plug going to the stock Vision gimbal, just plug it in.

F6Rider said:
SlackerATX said:
I don't think you have to 'wire' anything, it gets power from the OEM servo plug going to the stock Vision gimbal, just plug it in.

I believe it gets its power from the white camera plug

Old Gazer said:
gpauk said:
Bigvern said:
Well what a lovely surprise that was just got in from work and my misses had taken this package in for me !
Only shipped Friday at 16:20 !
No word from customs yet ! and only paid the $50 shipping (7 days)!
:) :) :) :) :) :)

That's *really* frustrating.... Mine was shipped well before yours -- not a sign of it arriving. Waiting for Keri to get back to me with what Canadapost have done with it...

Once RP leaves Canada, Canada post no longer tracks the package. Mine was the same way. I got two days of tracking and then nothing until it showed up on my front porch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ive purchased stuff from Canada before, if you use that same tracking # on the USPS website it should work

Here is a question for those who have installed their gimbal.. How do you calibrate your compass without having the gimbal going nuts? Disconnect ..power up calibrate then power down and plug it back in again?

Yaw, the controller settings and gps.

We all struggle with a very active yaw control from the stick. Russel Preston Brown? has a trick that he uses, which is to block the travel of the stick with his left thumb while shooting panorama's (stills).

This makes the concept of lowering the sensitivity of the yaw axis on the stick a compelling idea. I can't think of a situation that doesn't involve some 22 year old streaker that would make me want to spin at high speed in my endeavors.

I believe that the gps related stability control on board the aircraft does attempt to maintain the compass bearing while in flight.

Question is, is there any relationship between the numbers in the control stick calibration for yaw and the gps stability programming?

F6Rider said:
SlackerATX said:

I don't have a rotorpixel. The question is about the best place to get power for a DIY gimbal.

arinvideo said:
F6Rider said:
SlackerATX said:

I believe it gets its power from the white camera plug

If the white camera plug is removed does the gimbal keep moving?

SlackerATX said:
F6Rider said:
SlackerATX said:

I doing have a rotorpixel. The question is about the best place to get power for a DIY gimbal.

Get your volt meter out and check the pins on the camera feed plug and find out how much voltage you have.

Don't plug or unplug the camera mini-plug while the aircraft is live. Apparently that can cook some capacitor on the motherboard...

arinvideo said:
Here is a question for those who have installed their gimbal.. How do you calibrate your compass without having the gimbal going nuts? Disconnect ..power up calibrate then power down and plug it back in again?
Let me know what you do to power off the gimbal ;) thanks.

SlackerATX said:
arinvideo said:

LoL Im #437 so you may have to wait a while. I am guessing unplug the white camera cable I think thats what supplies power. Just something that came to mind. Im assuming if we go vertical (nose up) on the phantom the gimbal would go crazy.

SlackerATX said:

Have a look at the wiring diagram found here: https://sites.google.com/site/motorpixi ... /Resources

DKDarkness said:
SlackerATX said:

Have a look at the wiring diagram found here: https://sites.google.com/site/motorpixi ... /Resources
Thanks. Looks like they're using the 12.3 volts from the jack to power the BaseCam.

SlackerATX said:
DKDarkness said:
SlackerATX said:

Thanks. Looks like they're using the 12.3 volts from the jack to power the BaseCam.

Be carefull. Wires from camera plus are so small. Thay CANNOT handle lot of current (mA, not Voltage)...
They already must power up camera. They are already too small !!!! When i put full throttle, camera stop to record !
If you add 200-400 mA for gimbal, you will get voltage drop. And problem @ FC200...
Advice is to take power on main plate, PLACING a FUSE !!!! don't forget it , 1A would do the trick. If you got a problem in fight, gimbal will stop, your P2V not !
;-)

teji said:
SlackerATX said:
DKDarkness said:

Be carefull. Wires from camera plus are so small. Thay CANNOT handle lot of current (mA, not Voltage)...
They already must power up camera. They are already too small !!!! When i put full throttle, camera stop to record !
If you add 200-400 mA for gimbal, you will get voltage drop. And problem @ FC200...
Advice is to take power on main plate, PLACING a FUSE !!!! don't forget it , 1A would do the trick. If you got a problem in fight, gimbal will stop, your P2V not !
;-)
Thanks for the advice. Couple people have suggested the same thing so this is what I'll likely end up doing.

arinvideo said:
Old Gazer said:
gpauk said:
Bigvern said:
Well what a lovely surprise that was just got in from work and my misses had taken this package in for me !
Only shipped Friday at 16:20 !
No word from customs yet ! and only paid the $50 shipping (7 days)!
:) :) :) :) :) :)

That's *really* frustrating.... Mine was shipped well before yours -- not a sign of it arriving. Waiting for Keri to get back to me with what Canadapost have done with it...

Once RP leaves Canada, Canada post no longer tracks the package. Mine was the same way. I got two days of tracking and then nothing until it showed up on my front porch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ive purchased stuff from Canada before, if you use that same tracking # on the USPS website it should work

Thanks for that info. I looked. It was all there. I could have saved myself a bit of anxiety had I thought of it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Is Keri only shipping out once per week ? Or as they are completed in small batches ?

jqx5.jpg

I'm being VERY patient... really I am! :roll:

The Rookie ;)

It's pretty obvious that these are being manufactured by one person, or a couple at most with the current output. I think there is a lot of smoke blowing going on, and this is simply a basement built cottage industry product, being veiled as a mass production item. If only 10-15 of these are going out a week, I will not have it in time to complete a few projects I was interested in. As an order now would be lucky to have the product in your hands by the end of the year. It seems to me, Keri tried to beat everyone to the punch, but has only bit off more than he could chew. I have been patient and monitored this thread, it is painfully obvious there are production issues that make this an unviable product for a couple dudes in a basement to be producing.

I am goin to sell my thrice flown P2V and just order a loaded up P2 with a Zenmuse and iOSD. At the end of the day this is only going to cost a couple hundred more, and I will get the benefit of a WAY better camera I can use for other things too. Kinda disappointed, as I really liked the idea of the Rotorpixel gimbal, and keeping the on screen telemetry, sat info etc that came pre-packaged with the P2V, but that ship has sailed, and I have a feeling at this rate of production, people will stop drinking the Kool-Aid very soon.

I get that he is offering a great product, but I would bet real money, that DJI will release either their own gimbal, or an updated P3V will come out with an integrated one, before he manages to fill even his current orders.

Good question....
Any of you guys using the RotorPixel by now maybe able to answer this question please?
Cheers

SlackerATX said:
arinvideo said:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12