Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Yep, well it was too late to pack everything and go and find somewhere interesting this evening, so I figured if I made some manoeuvres close in to something we'd really see how effective the stabilisation was. When it was in ground effect next to those daffodils the Vision was wobbling all over the place, you just don't see any of it on the footage at all - quite remarkable really.

Oh and for this I didn't have the circ polariser filter on, and despite the gimbal being balanced for the weight of it it made no difference. I guess if you might regularly be swapping out a heavy filter it might be worth counter-balancing it to give the motors an easier time of it, but I'm seeing now why Rotorpixel went for these beefier, quality motors - they just eat it up.

I can't cut the grass, I'm moving the guinea pigs on to it tomorrow! It's not lax gardening, it's farming. And yeah, sorry about the face - that beard's just a "laziness" beard but it's gone on for 2 weeks now and it's got to come off. It makes me look 20 years older than I actually am... <cough>

Pull_Up said:
Yep, well it was too late to pack everything and go and find somewhere interesting this evening

Hey Pull Up...I can suggest an interesting place to fly....The Castle Pub at Edgehill Ox. Cool place. Have a Pint for me!

grochester said:
teji said:
To help me to wait my RP gimbal, i ordered 3DPower Gimbal (150$), it's deliverable, i installed & tested.
Here is a first test video.

https://vimeo.com/89111527

It work very well ! So happy !
;-)

How difficult was installation? From what I've read on other threads one needs a lot of electronics experience and an engineering degree from MIT to get the 3DPower to work.

If you are using external battery (3S), it's 5 minutes install without 7 channels hack. If you want the 7 channel to control tilt, you has to make 2 soldering operation. No lots of experience ! ;-)

teji said:
grochester said:
teji said:
To help me to wait my RP gimbal, i ordered 3DPower Gimbal (150$), it's deliverable, i installed & tested.
Here is a first test video.

https://vimeo.com/89111527

It work very well ! So happy !
;-)

How difficult was installation? From what I've read on other threads one needs a lot of electronics experience and an engineering degree from MIT to get the 3DPower to work.

If you are using external battery (3S), it's 5 minutes install without 7 channels hack. If you want the 7 channel to control tilt, you has to make 2 soldering operation. No lots of experience ! ;-)

where did you mount your external battery?

I like many have a GoProfessional case for my Phantom 2 Vision. Is it still going to fit with the Rotorpixel gimbal? I'm not using filters and just wondered if the camera sticks out much more with the Rotorpixel gimbal versus stock.

djscoutmaster said:
XCcoach said:
Confirmed shipments:

March 1st: "10 lucky individuals" (confirmed by Rotorpixel on this thread)

March 5th: #346 & Pull_Up (presumably #347)

March 7th: #348 & #352

March 13th: #353, #355 & #357

Assuming orders are filled sequentially, it would mean a minimum of 22 orders have been filled since March 1st. I suspect this is close to the actual total shipped so far.

i had order #347
I had confirmed shipment on march 7th, shipped on the 10th, and i will have delivery tomorrow March 14th to San antonio TX.

Mine is 553 waiting for my new toy. :D maybe 6 more weeks

Looks really good to me. It'll be interesting to me. You didn't do any balancing at all, just hung it on there? Thanks for getting that out for us. Now go get us some awesome video so we can drool even more.

tedw123 said:
I like many have a GoProfessional case for my Phantom 2 Vision. Is it still going to fit with the Rotorpixel gimbal? I'm not using filters and just wondered if the camera sticks out much more with the Rotorpixel gimbal versus stock.

i believe if you just flip it around and remove the battery that slot intended for the battery should have enough clearance for the camera.

I'm such a tease....

I went out at 7:45am because the light was so good, and because it's going to be a beautiful day that I want to spend with the family. So I took the dog and got a load of footage that's going to take me ages to edit and won't get out until tomorrow probably. So as a teaser, here's a single shot, unedited, lifted straight from the sd card showing a full manoeuvre end-to-end as a taste of what's to come. Trouble is the footage is going to look so nice it's really going to show up my poor editing skills! Anyway, lower camera angle higher speed run, with co-ordinated turn and finishing with a hard stop. Full vid to come when it's ready....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYJJf0LV0k[/youtube]

AndySwe said:
Cheers PullUp !

Is it youtube that makes it blurry ?
Is Vimeo better ?

Yeah, it hadn't finished processing. Click through and watch it in HD Vimeo is apparently a lot better but I've never used it and might need to look into that - although my efforts are never going to be Academy Award winning, so unsure if it's worth it. They look great played at home on the big screen before getting squished by YouTube, that's the main thing!

Pull_Up said:
I'm such a tease....

I went out at 7:45am because the light was so good, and because it's going to be a beautiful day that I want to spend with the family. So I took the dog and got a load of footage that's going to take me ages to edit and won't get out until tomorrow probably. So as a teaser, here's a single shot, unedited, lifted straight from the sd card showing a full manoeuvre end-to-end as a taste of what's to come. Trouble is the footage is going to look so nice it's really going to show up my poor editing skills! Anyway, lower camera angle higher speed run, with co-ordinated turn and finishing with a hard stop. Full vid to come when it's ready....

That is just excellent. A tease indeed. Seems like you when full speed on the throttle, and the video remained ever so smooth. Can't wait to get mine. When I get mine out here in California, I plan to take some footage of the sand dunes when I visit my home town of Yuma, Arizona. I will post on here when I do.

I'm looking forward to being able to take it down to the coastline where the aircraft really gets buffeted by onshore breezes which buggers the video up, so it is all looking very good indeed especially since these are very much out of the box footage we are getting.

:D

Pull_Up said:
I'm such a tease....

Looks great! I went and tortured myself yesterday. I live about 10 minutes away from Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/refuge/wichita_mountains/ and went to get some stills but want my dang gimbal!

tedw123 said:
Looks great! I went and tortured myself yesterday. I live about 10 minutes away from Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge http://www.fws.gov/refuge/wichita_mountains/ and went to get some stills but want my dang gimbal!

I know the feeling.... I haven't flown mine for almost two weeks, with anticipation of receiving my gimbal. :| Thursday is the day, but seems so far away...... and it will be my luck we'll have bad weather.... :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT