Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Rotorpixel said:
Here's a *very* quick edit of some of the footage from the past 2 days with our gimbal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhtGZMZogE
Looks great - the gimbal seems to be performing well, even in the wind. Didn't see any rolling-shutter "jello".

However the video itself seems to be suffering from some YouTube-related problems. First, there's a noticeable stutter at regular intervals - possibly a frame-rate mismatch between the original footage and YouTube? Second, the details are extremely soft and there are visible "macro-blocks" in moving areas when viewing at 1080p - looks like over-compression. Keri said it was a quick edit, so hopefully these can be cleaned up & re-posted, or perhaps posted to Vimeo instead.

Yes that footage looks fantastic def worth the wait. My order is #572 anyone any idea I will have to wait ROUGHLY

I saw a gopro video where the guy waited to long to land from a low battery alarm and it self landed... in his pool, you can see him dive in clothes and all to retrieve it. He stated after he drained the water and dried it out for a couple of days it worked fine. I would be replacing all 4 motors at the least.

With a order # of 436 I guess I will be making my Hawaii trip Droan-less. But I am sure it will be here for my Desert southwest trip at the end of May. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I can manage to fly it inside Carlsbad Caverns, whoops, no gps lock, no fly. How about the entrance to the bat cave when they swarm out? Just thinking out loud.

F6Rider said:
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I can manage to fly it inside Carlsbad Caverns, whoops, no gps lock, no fly. How about the entrance to the bat cave when they swarm out? Just thinking out loud.

No GPS, but also no wind to blow you off course. I doubt you could get permission to fly it in Carlsbad though given the delicate nature of the formations and the (remote) possibility of a ~2.5# missile crashing into them at 25 mph. I bet you could however mount your camera and gimbal on a telescopic painting pole with a battery pack and get stabilized pics above head level.

F6Rider said:
I saw a gopro video where the guy waited to long to land from a low battery alarm and it self landed... in his pool, you can see him dive in clothes and all to retrieve it. He stated after he drained the water and dried it out for a couple of days it worked fine. I would be replacing all 4 motors at the least.

With a order # of 436 I guess I will be making my Hawaii trip Droan-less. But I am sure it will be here for my Desert southwest trip at the end of May. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I can manage to fly it inside Carlsbad Caverns, whoops, no gps lock, no fly. How about the entrance to the bat cave when they swarm out? Just thinking out loud.

No photography of the bats is allowed when they are leaving or going back home. You can apply for a special permit to photograph them from just INSIDE the cave entrance, but I SERIOUSLY doubt they will let you fly anywhere near it. With or without a Rotorpixel gimbal.

The sample footage has been re-processed at a much higher bitrate, and at 29.97fps, instead of 24fps as it was before. I was trying to cut corners everwhere that I could in order to make the file size small enough to be sent over the terribly slow internet connection that I've got here, but clearly that was a mistake on my behalf. I reprocessed it, and set it uploading all day, and it's finally online... so take a look again at the buttery smooth footage, and let me know if it still looks funky in any way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5W8LNYmk8[/youtube]

Keri

Rotorpixel said:
The sample footage has been re-processed at a much higher bitrate, and at 29.97fps, instead of 24fps as it was before. I was trying to cut corners everwhere that I could in order to make the file size small enough to be sent over the terribly slow internet connection that I've got here, but clearly that was a mistake on my behalf. I reprocessed it, and set it uploading all day, and it's finally online... so take a look again at the buttery smooth footage, and let me know if it still looks funky in any way.

Keri

Keri, the video looks absolutely amazing, says a lot for your skills developing the Gimbal. Congratulations!!!!

As everyone else, I'm anxious for my Gimbal to arrive and start my videoography exploration.

The best for you!!!

Matt O.

Rotorpixel said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5W8LNYmk8[/youtube]

Keri

The video is awesome. I was really impressed with the shots you got of the whale and dolphins. And the shot of the boat rocking while the phantom was rock solid really sold me. Very impressive.

Thanks for updating. I can understand the bandwidth issues. This video looks like a faster frame rate as you said. Video quality might be a little bit better (still lots of compression pixelation/artifacts @ 1080p), but you can tell as in the first video that the gimbal is doing an excellent job of stabilizing the camera. The horizon line is rock solid in all clips. When you get back home to first world bandwidth I'd like to see the video re-upped in its full uncompressed glory. Those are some great shots! Has mine shipped, 381? :p

yeah the vision camera isn't the best by any stretch, however I experimented with filming at 1080i@60 frames instead of 1080p@30 frames and to me it looks better. has anybody else tried this?

spanktimonious said:
tizzl10 said:
yeah the vision camera isn't the best by any stretch, however I experimented with filming at 1080i@60 frames instead of 1080p@30 frames and to me it looks better. has anybody else tried this?

The placebo effect is a real thing.

1080/60i is very close to the same as 1080/30p from a data rate standpoint. With post processing you can get better slow mo by interpreting those 60i half frames into a post produced 60fps though (still does not compare to true 60fps)

I guess.. all I know is what I filmed today looks crystal clear. when I film in 1080p, it looks grainy and washed out. maybe something is wrong with my camera.

spanktimonious said:
gfredrone said:
When you get back home to first world bandwidth I'd like to see the video re-upped in its full uncompressed glory.

The video quality is still constrained by the fact that It's a Vision camera. There is no such thing as "full uncompressed glory" since the video straight out of the camera is heavily compressed.

This is basic stuff.

Oh Christ here we go. Then shut up and drop $4,000 on the S1000 and another $1,000 on a DSLR.

This is basic stuff.

******** Keri, I call FAKE! There's no way this gimbal can produce that much butter. Your right, this doesn't even look real. If it is then please take this as a compliment and send me every gimbal you have because I'm gonna sell them at twice the price. Silky smooth is an understatement. Great job!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

spanktimonious said:
Scottrod said:
spanktimonious said:
gfredrone said:
When you get back home to first world bandwidth I'd like to see the video re-upped in its full uncompressed glory.

The video quality is still constrained by the fact that It's a Vision camera. There is no such thing as "full uncompressed glory" since the video straight out of the camera is heavily compressed.

This is basic stuff.

Oh Christ here we go. Then shut up and drop $4,000 on the S1000 and another $1,000 on a DSLR.

This is basic stuff.

You continue to be confused. Just because the Vision camera captures heavily compressed video doesn't mean that folks that understand that basic fact need to go with an S1000 (which is way more than you think it is). That's really dumb. Even for you.

The fact that there are multi-thousand dollar rigs that can fly DSLRs doesn't negate the fact that the Vision camera only captures video that is heavily compressed (14MP sensor but only 11mbps?) and that lacks dynamic range when compared to other 1/2.3" based cameras. You wouldn't look so silly if you compared apples to apples.

I get the fact that you consider these facts to be a personal affront but they are indisputable facts.

Good luck working through your self created feelings of insecurity.

I'm not insecure. I couldn't care less what you think. You're the one attempting to start a pathetic internet argument. I guess I have succumb to your vast intelligence. You win. Now STFU and troll elsewhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor