Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Scottrod said:
I agree. If there is any loss for FVP distance it will be negligible. I have already added a 9dbi omni-directional antenna to my wifi repeater and I'm getting around 3,500ft (1070 meters for you red coats :lol: ). I don't know the exact distance for sure because the distance goes to N/A after 3,300. I am tempted to try adding an external antenna on the camera as well but with these results I don't see the need. Plus if I added an external antenna on the camera it would probably not fit in my case unless removed.

u5uhene6.jpg

That's a long antenna, but it still looks better than the other crazy mods with external panels & cables and whatnot. 3500 Ft. back to your smart phone with just the one omni on the DJI WiFi extender? Do you have a link to that specific mod and a link to purchase the antenna?

Scottrod said:
I agree. If there is any loss for FVP distance it will be negligible. I have already added a 9dbi omni-directional antenna to my wifi repeater and I'm getting around 3,500ft (1070 meters for you red coats :lol: ). I don't know the exact distance for sure because the distance goes to N/A after 3,300. I am tempted to try adding an external antenna on the camera as well but with these results I don't see the need. Plus if I added an external antenna on the camera it would probably not fit in my case unless removed.

Scott, please elaborate on this antenna mod. I have a different one, but yours looks interesting. (seriously...shut up you guys! we are talking antennas here. I know where some of your minds are at…)

Scottrod said:
Pull_Up said:
Exactly. However, the dronexpert gimbal uses a similar mounting point and there haven't been any reports I've seen of people suffering degraded wifi to any major degree with that one. You might find you lose signal at distance if you point the motor side at the range extender versus pointing the unblocked side, but until they get into the real world we won't know. If you look at the thread on here where people are stretching the wifi range towards 4km :!: then you've got the option to add an antenna mounted to the skids taking a pigtail from inside the camera to the outside, for example - this could allow you to get lots of range using the gimbal...

u5uhene6.jpg

All I know is I'm super excited for the Rotorpixel gimbal. The only other thing I would like in the future is possibly a larger mah (milli-amp hour) battery...if that's even possible.

Oh my gosh, I wish mine was that long :lol: :lol: :lol:

mcurrier said:
Scottrod said:
Here ya go guys. Order one of these and you'll never have another range issue. Also, the antenna is super narrow and fits inside my Tradecraft case easily without cutting out additional foam.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMHSOD ... 03_s00_i00

How did you wire it up? It looks pretty clean.

It comes with an SMA hook up. I disconnected one antenna inside the wifi repeater and hooked up the antenna lead then drilled a hole (measure twice, drill once) that was just the right size for the antenna mount. Now I can screw on any antenna. I chose to screw my big antenna. :lol:

IMO it's such a nice clean look it almost looks factory. Tempted to paint the big antenna white!

I now know how I'm going to tolerate the wait for my gimbal. I'll send my camera back to DJI for replacement. If I don't have a camera I won't need no stinking gimbal.

Scottrod said:
mcurrier said:
Scottrod said:
Here ya go guys. Order one of these and you'll never have another range issue. Also, the antenna is super narrow and fits inside my Tradecraft case easily without cutting out additional foam.

It comes with an SMA hook up. I disconnected one antenna inside the wifi repeater and hooked up the antenna lead then drilled a hole (measure twice, drill once) that was just the right size for the antenna mount. Now I can screw on any antenna. I chose to screw my big antenna. :lol:

IMO it's such a nice clean look it almost looks factory. Tempted to paint the big antenna white!

I'd go with a magnum series to wrap that big thing!

Attachments

• magnumpaintsprayer.jpg
    magnumpaintsprayer.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 401
gfredrone said:
Scottrod said:
mcurrier said:
Scottrod said:

I'd go with a magnum series to wrap that big thing!

Haha nice one.

Scottrod said:
Tempted to paint the big antenna white!

Yeah I was going to say, is it available in white or what's stopping you from painting it white?

gfredrone said:
I now know how I'm going to tolerate the wait for my gimbal. I'll send my camera back to DJI for replacement. If I don't have a camera I won't need no stinking gimbal.

That's exactly what I'm doing. They say it's gonna take 3 weeks to get through their queue and send a new one back.

Scottrod said:
then drilled a hole (measure twice, drill once) that was just the right size for the antenna

Not to be lazy or anything, but do you remember the size of the drill bit so we don't have to measure/guess?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak