Reaction score
So I have been having this issue from day one of flying my first drone: the P3A. I thought it was just normal but now I see people doing what I can't. When I fly near my house, (I live in a neighborhood with rows of houses) I can fly my P3A around 1,000 ft away from the controller. Then about that distance, the video signal becomes broken up and the RC Signal sometimes drops to like 70% or lower etc. I know my drone should be able to fly a lot farther than that. When I go to fly at the beach, (I live in FL) I should be able to fly at least a mile down the beach and a good ways away from shore. But I when I fly at the beach I get about 1700ft away from the controller. Then at that point, the RC Signal drops to like 70/72% and the video signal stays clear. I have never had the drone lose connection with the controller as that can be VERY fearful! I guess I am asking is it normal to CONTINUE flying the drone when the RC Signal is around 70% or maybe even lower. I just don't want to rush the drone to go further with a Mid Level RC Signal because I don't know what will happen. The drones RTH should kick in if it ever loses signal with the controller, however the RTH doesn't always land the drone in the EXACT spot it took off from.

I guess I am asking is it normal to CONTINUE flying the drone when the RC Signal is around 70% or maybe even lower
Yes, it's perfectly normal. The video signal usually breaks up before the remote controller disconnects from the Phantom. If you see the video breaking up in DJI GO, that's a good sign that it's time to turn around.

The drones RTH should kick in if it ever loses signal with the controller, however the RTH doesn't always land the drone in the EXACT spot it took off from.
If you fly too far away and RTH is initiated, you can cancel RTH as soon as your Phantom reconnects to the remote controller. When you see it reconnect in DJI GO, either cancel RTH from the left side of DJI GO or press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel RTH. At that point, you can fly your Phantom back to the home point and manually land (or continue to fly).

So I have been having this issue from day one of flying my first drone: the P3A. I thought it was just normal but now I see people doing what I can't. When I fly near my house, (I live in a neighborhood with rows of houses) I can fly my P3A around 1,000 ft away from the controller. Then about that distance, the video signal becomes broken up and the RC Signal sometimes drops to like 70% or lower etc. I know my drone should be able to fly a lot farther than that. When I go to fly at the beach, (I live in FL) I should be able to fly at least a mile down the beach and a good ways away from shore. But I when I fly at the beach I get about 1700ft away from the controller. Then at that point, the RC Signal drops to like 70/72% and the video signal stays clear. I have never had the drone lose connection with the controller as that can be VERY fearful! I guess I am asking is it normal to CONTINUE flying the drone when the RC Signal is around 70% or maybe even lower. I just don't want to rush the drone to go further with a Mid Level RC Signal because I don't know what will happen. The drones RTH should kick in if it ever loses signal with the controller, however the RTH doesn't always land the drone in the EXACT spot it took off from.

As I get older, it gets much easier to fly my P3P out of sight - LOL. There's nothing gets your heart pounding like that first time your bird becomes a speck in the sky and you're not really sure what's happening. Those first few long flights saw me getting some moderately serious use out of the RTH button!

I personally found it a lot more comforting to initially keep the Phantom in sight. Later, with a *lot* more experience, I started to rely on the screen in more of an FPV type flying. But I've always been scared of the lag. If you flirt with trees from a long distance, it's virtually impossible for me (depth perception gone to hell too!) to be fully aware of my spatial surroundings.

Be careful - you can still have fun without doing dangerous things!

Signal is line of sight, if your not pointing towards your bird you will lose signal, in neighbourhoods your fighting WIFI interference from houses etc so you get signal loss, that said on the beach in an open area you should be able to get out to 12000ft, I can, your aerials should be pointing straight up from the TX for best signal strength, don't worry about RTH most of use it just to get the quad back in sight and then take back control by moving the FAP switch to F then back to P at which point the quad will cancel RTH or by cancelling it in the app.

So basically I should just push the drone to go a little further at the beach? My RC Signal drops to like 70% but my video doesn't not lag or anything like that while I fly at the beach. I have flown out of sight and I do quit often now but it is very nerve racking! I have not used the RTH button except for emergencies when I think something might have gone wrong. Maybe next time I go fly at the beach I will push the drone a bit further. I also want to get better with flying closer to objects! I seem to want to fly so high when it is really not necessary.

Check out this video I shot at the beach. The max distance I went was like 1600ft.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Did you slap a cheap pair of windsurfers onto the controller? If not, fo 8 -16 bucks you can double or triple your range and thus allay your fears.

Did you slap a cheap pair of windsurfers onto the controller? If not, fo 8 -16 bucks you can double or triple your range and thus allay your fears.
I have not tried anything like that and I am not opposed to it. However, at the beach with nothing around, no interference, etc. the drone should be FULLY capable of flying at least a mile throughout the beach area. I think I am just going to push it a little more out of my comfort zone.

Signal is line of sight, if your not pointing towards your bird you will lose signal, in neighbourhoods your fighting WIFI interference from houses etc so you get signal loss, that said on the beach in an open area you should be able to get out to 12000ft, I can, your aerials should be pointing straight up from the TX for best signal strength, don't worry about RTH most of use it just to get the quad back in sight and then take back control by moving the FAP switch to F then back to P at which point the quad will cancel RTH or by cancelling it in the app.

DO NOT POINT YOUR ANTENNA(s) DIRECTLY AT YOUR PHANTOM!

Those two little white sticks at the back of your controller are antennas. They are essentially two, very small, vertical antennas. In antenna parlance, they are very much like vertical dipoles. The signal works best when it is broadside to the Phantom. What do I mean by broadside?

Imagine that each of those two little antennas had a flag on it. To make the flag flow in the breeze (i.e., stand out like it does in a stiff breeze) the antennas have to be pointing almost straight up. The signal comes off the antennas like that stiff flag in the breeze. The signal from those antennas is at a minimum when they are pointed directly at the antenna!

Consequently, once your phantom gets up in the air - let's say 50 feet up but directly in front of you so it's actually appears to be directly overhead. Now your antennas are pointing directly at the phantom - not good. (Actually, it may not be that bad, but it certainly isn't best!). You may need to now adjust your antennas - have them point straight out, pointing directly off the back of your controller. Now the maximum signal level is being sent toward your Phantom. While you're flying, you may discover it sometimes helps if you vary the position of the antenna (so it's oriented properly/better). Some of those situations where it looks like your signal is "dropping off" may be eliminated.

Happy droning.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Those two little white sticks at the back of your controller are antennas. They are essentially two, very small, vertical antennas. In antenna parlance, they are very much like vertical dipoles. The signal works best when it is broadside to the Phantom. What do I mean by broadside?

Imagine that each of those two little antennas had a flag on it. To make the flag flow in the breeze (i.e., stand out like it does in a stiff breeze) the antennas have to be pointing almost straight up. The signal comes off the antennas like that stiff flag in the breeze. The signal from those antennas is at a minimum when they are pointed directly at the antenna!

Consequently, once your phantom gets up in the air - let's say 50 feet up but directly in front of you so it's actually appears to be directly overhead. Now your antennas are pointing directly at the phantom - not good. (Actually, it may not be that bad, but it certainly isn't best!). You may need to now adjust your antennas - have them point straight out, pointing directly off the back of your controller. Now the maximum signal level is being sent toward your Phantom. While you're flying, you may discover it sometimes helps if you vary the position of the antenna (so it's oriented properly/better). Some of those situations where it looks like your signal is "dropping off" may be eliminated.

Happy droning.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
So if the controller is laying FLAT on the ground, the antennas should be at a 90 degree angle pointing straight up?

Thanks

So if the controller is laying FLAT on the ground, the antennas should be at a 90 degree angle pointing straight up?

Thanks

Your response helped me think of a better explanation!

With your controller flat on the ground in front of you and the antennas pointed straight up. Place your Phantom flat on the ground three feet further away. Your antennas are now oriented for the best signal to your phantom.

Now start everything up and climb up to about 50 feet. (Or a little less if that's too high up too soon.) Now your antennas are still straight up, so the ends of the antennas are now pointing directly at your phantom. Not the best. Re-orient (adjust) your antennas so they're sticking straight out from the back of the controller. Now your antennas are again oriented properly to deliver the maximum signal.

The "manual" for my P3Pro shows pictures of the proper antenna setup. They don't say a darn thing about why they need to be positioned, but there are several small graphics showing what I've been describing. Seriously, trust me. I've been studying, building and using antennas for almost 40 years. Got my first license in 1978 and have been very active ever since in amateur radio.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg.

Your response helped me think of a better explanation!

With your controller flat on the ground in front of you and the antennas pointed straight up. Place your Phantom flat on the ground three feet further away. Your antennas are now oriented for the best signal to your phantom.

Now start everything up and climb up to about 50 feet. (Or a little less if that's too high up too soon.) Now your antennas are still straight up, so the ends of the antennas are now pointing directly at your phantom. Not the best. Re-orient (adjust) your antennas so they're sticking straight out from the back of the controller. Now your antennas are again oriented properly to deliver the maximum signal.

The "manual" for my P3Pro shows pictures of the proper antenna setup. They don't say a darn thing about why they need to be positioned, but there are several small graphics showing what I've been describing. Seriously, trust me. I've been studying, building and using antennas for almost 40 years. Got my first license in 1978 and have been very active ever since in amateur radio.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg.
I like it! I will definitely give it a try next time I fly... I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Happy droning.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

I wasn't actually talking about antenna orientation, more about actually facing the quad in line of sight. I do appreciate your information though.

This video explains the proper antenna position:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan