PolarPro LED lights

ok, cool. hmmmm, so if I get my drone license will I still be able to fly my drone as a hobby at night? As long as I'm not "on the clock" making money?

ok, cool. hmmmm, so if I get my drone license will I still be able to fly my drone as a hobby at night? As long as I'm not "on the clock" making money?
I do believe that is the case. I would probably not have my commercial drone registration number on my drone though, just as a precaution.

I do believe that is the case. I would probably not have my commercial drone registration number on my drone though, just as a precaution.
I'm still waiting for my local testing center to get the test but fortunately, I have 2 drones and maybe I'll just register only one of them for business. and the other one I can add these LED's.

Lume cube is ridiculously expensive, I rather tape 2 of my high powered flashlights that are going to be brighter anyway then spend 150 bucks, lol

Anyway, got these Polar leds today, If I take off the water proofing rubber on the front of the led's its a good 40% brighter, I have some purple and yellow leds I'm going to cut and splice in rather then the standard ones it comes with.. See how it looks :)
You actually get what you pay for, in this case. ;-) the Lume Cubes are worth their weight in gold...
See Post #43 in this thread, where a flashlight mod is shared. ;-):
Any idea about fly during night?
The Lume Cubes are intentionally exquisitely designed and built. Very tight tolerances with an ultra fine fit and finish. Water proof to 100'. Really awesome.
For what they are, they are decent enough quality for my own photography needs. Being adjustable both in angle and power, they are completely customizable for a variety of uses. Plus they can be used as slave flash, providing side of rear fill lighting for my regular Nikon D800 photography.
The free Lume Cube Pro app, allows you to control up to 100 of them at once.
You can dim or brighten them while on the fly, turn them on or off while in the air, within your connected Bluetooth distance.

Haters gonna hate, enjoy those flashlights and tape combo? Ha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
They have a purpose, not dissing them, If I was a professional photographer and filming at night, hands down I'd probably go that route, but for me as a recreational hobbyist, these tapped/zip tied to the legs for a once in a while night flight would be awesome

Best-Small-Flashlight.png

now if I could turn them off and on while flying with the lume cube some how, I'd do it! not talking about the 30-100 feet at best BT connection

Yeah, those sort of small aircraft aluminum flashlights are cool, quite compact and decently bright enough. www.streamlight.com Totally useable for your needs, of occasional night missions.
I thought of your conventional style, while watching this" ;-)

Very Nice & neat install too. Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: flpholt
WOW! Thanks for that info about the Lume Cube. I have the Polar Pro LED kit, and it has worked fine in helping me to find my P3P in the air at night. But I don't get the light I need from it to fill close-up subjects.
I'm looking to buy the Cube now.
Thanks!
Wondering what you ended up doing. Did you order the Lume Cube drone kit for your Phantom 3, or go in a different direction?

Please Let us know, how everything goes... Thanks! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: lablover
Wondering what you ended up doing. Did you order the Lume Cube drone kit for your Phantom 3, or go in a different direction?

Please Let us know, how everything goes... Thanks! ;-)

RedHotPoker
I didn't order it yet. We've been travelling out of the country for 5-1/2 weeks, getting home yesterday.
I still plan to do so, hoping to get my P3P out and get it ready for a test flight tonight or tomorrow.
I'll let you know when I hook it up!

I didn't order it yet. We've been travelling out of the country for 5-1/2 weeks, getting home yesterday.
I still plan to do so, hoping to get my P3P out and get it ready for a test flight tonight or tomorrow.
I'll let you know when I hook it up!
That must have been a wonderful trip. Sounds like the drone has been neglected. All your flight batteries will need charging. Why Didn't you have the fortune of flying and capturing wonderful video from your travels?
You most likely have really missed it? Enjoy those first few flights. ;-)

Lume Cubes: every little thing you do is Magic!!
I know you will appreciate the fine quality, and awesome functionality of your lume cubes when they arrive. I hope your photography will pop with them onboard.
My experience: after ordering I was anticipating mine to show up in a few or three days, and they had ramped up my shipping and sent them UPS overnight. Wow, I had mine in less than 24hr from time of payment. To me that's A+Customer Service. ;-)
So knowing just how well they take care of us respected customers, means a lot to me. Heck these cubes aren't cheap, but there is zero, nothing low quality about them either. You will see what I mean, when you take them out of the white boxes. Feel the fit, finish and weight.

I can already see myself getting another set. Heck, I may even pop for four... Haha yeah, These would make awesome $tocking $tuffers for my nephews. Merry Christmas, they're all toting iPhones too.

Home at last... Well, we all hope you had a wonderful travel, & now it's back to business and everyday life. Which happens to be pretty darn nice for many of us around here. Haha

RedHotPoker

I got the polar pro and returned it the next day! Cubes on the way for me
Did you already hear about the Lume Cube night photo contest?

RedHotPoker

I don't know what the regular costs were but that's a tough price to beat. Good luck with them, and enjoy the orientation improvement.

RedHotPoker

39.99 and thanks
Heck you know, for that low price of $25.99, you could deck that drone out, like a NYC Central Park, Christmas Tree. And even have money left over for a turkey...

Sure, I am laughing, but still glad you have found the proper light, that suits your drone piloting needs. I on the other hand am an actual talented photographer at heart, and a mere drone pilot for hobby fun. See my forum SIG below? I do this RC stuff for relaxation, but after you spend this kind of money, on all this fun, it actually morphs, & RC becomes a life style. ;-)

There is nothing Pro about GoPro tech... Lume Cubes are built with the professional and hobbiest both, in mind. If you go into your Go app, & under camera settings within the white balance parameter, you will immediately notice, that you can actually set 6000 kelvin, in your camera. Which is the very same light frequency of Lume Cubes. Do you think that is a mere coincidence?

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
You really have to know what you need when it comes to the choices. There are at least two current threads about lume cubes and it would seem more appropriate to argue the merits of that choice there. Whether polar pro measures up in comparison, the polar kit is a worthy choice to consider. I've been flying it for a long while for critical filming night flights and it has been a helpful, worthy addition to what I can see in the sky. As I've posted earlier in this thread, I've adjusted the installation of the kit to best serve my needs. The kit has limitations. It will not be very effective in daylight. I was hopeful it would be but that is not the case. It is however very nicely effective at night. If you're the type who flies closer in, they're perfect. I've gone out 3k feet and they hold up well. But they will not satisfy the faa stipulation of visible 3 statute miles range, so consider that if you seek commercial work with a daylight waiver.

Is another choice better for you? Maybe. If I didn't have a specific reason to augment the phantom lights themselves I wouldn't need any additional light. The phantom lights are fine. I really think the biggest thing to do, no matter what the choice, is confirm the extra attachments are loaded properly and secured well on the bird. And check all of it before each flight. All these peripherals can cause a crash if they come loose up there. Happy lighting!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl