PolarPro LED lights

Reaction score
Im going to pick this up today, was about to order on Amazon for 50 bucks, but didn't realize bestbuy sells this. I love the fact it comes off easily and has the battery all neatly packed.

That said, I want to cut the wires and extend them a little and add my OWN led's, about 3-5 per wire, does anyone know the wattage/volts coming out of each wire?

Other then that, who has this kit? I assume its not that bright, from videos it looks kinda dull?

thanks

its all right not the best I was thinking same thing on mine

Yes, go for it, their awesome. & I think they look sharp as heck. ;-)
Gives you a much better visual LOS as well.
Good deal on the price too.

After recommendation from @flpholt, I went down a different road with the Lume Cube Phantom 3 drone kit. www.lumecube.com of which I am really happy about. These are easy attached too. Thanks!!
But are primarily for video and photography fill lighting, & not necessarily for my drones orientation and/or landing assistance... Although they work great for the above mentioned means as well.

Please post your thoughts once installed, about them GoPro LED diodes.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
for 39 bucks @ bestbuy, it seems like a good gamble, I just love how it snaps on and off easily. I just hope I can cut the wires and add my own led's :)

After recommendation from @flpholt, I went down a different road with the Lume Cube Phantom 3 drone kit. www.lumecube.com of which I am really happy about. These are easy attached too. Thanks!!
But are primarily for video and photography fill lighting, & not necessarily for my drones orientation and/or landing assistance... Although they work great for the above mentioned means as well.

RedHotPoker
I have the same ones on my P3P. They are awesome. I do a lot of night flying and I can see my AC up to 1.5 miles on a clear night. I also have the same landing gear extenders. I did not like the way they attach so I cut off some of the plastic clips and used zip ties to mount them.

Please Post a pic of the customized GoPro landing leg extensions? Thanks!

RedHotPoker

I stand corrected. I cut off some of the plastic clip of the led lights as I did not like the way they were aimed. I mounted the leds on the landing gear legs with zip ties so the lights were aimed straight ahead and straight back. When I first put them on they were angled inward. The landing gear extenders are the same as shown in the video for the led light set.

Last edited:
Please Post a pic of the customized GoPro landing leg extensions? Thanks!

RedHotPoker
go figure wouldn't you know I have a set of polar pro lights on my p3a lol

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
The pp lights have been doing great for me. I installed them differently than the normal way. I put the white in the back and red up front, however I position the reds on the sides of the legs instead of the front. With the phantom reds off, I have zero red getting into a night shot. And since I the pp reds fire to the sides, I have that all important orientation light when the bird is facing sideways out there. It takes a little doing to install but it's been working great.

20160424_013356.jpg

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Don't they have an app? Lume Cube does!! ;-)
Sorry, I Thought the GoPro LED kit had a remote?
Must have been mistaken, with just an on off strobe switch.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
The pp lights have been doing great for me. I installed them differently than the normal way. I put the white in the back and red up front, however I position the reds on the sides of the legs instead of the front. With the phantom reds off, I have zero red getting into a night shot. And since I the pp reds fire to the sides, I have that all important orientation light when the bird is facing sideways out there. It takes a little doing to install but it's been working great.

View attachment 61749
Looks awesome, & I bet those side mounted red set are very visible on it, seen from a distance. Average how much longer can you fly with that extra LiPo attached? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
how can i attach a remote switch to turn them off and on from a distance?
You can't. Turning them on before takeoff is something to remember. I've forgotten twice and it is not cool, for me. I learned my lesson and I'm as conscious about turning them on before firing up the bird as I am about remembering to record. Forget those things up a couple times and you learn. I literally tell myself a dozen times preflight so I don't forget, lights on and hit record. Incidentally, I prefer them on solid and not blinking however I'm glad they have that mode in case faa pushes strobes for night flying,which I'm sure they will.

Looks awesome, & I bet those side mounted red set are very visible on it, seen from a distance. Average how much longer can you fly with that extra LiPo attached? ;-)
Reds on the side are a big deal for me. I absolutely appreciate them and they are needed when you turn the phantom reds off. The bird only goes dark nose in, which I don't like. But it's a true nose in where that happens so it's only momentary. Once the angle pivots slightly, the back pp lights show up as well as the phantom flashing green. The horizon v3 battery mod I just flew last week. At 25% battery when I landed I was in the air for 24 minutes. The mod gives me the extra time I need to do what I need to do. I'm not looking to drain down to 5% for a 40 minute flight,although it seems I could eek that out. I need 24 minutes and to land safely without a panic. The mod delivers that.

You know come to think of it, if I face the rear pp lights forward I'll have all sides covered and still keep the front dark fir filming. Reds for side position, white for nose in, green phantom for rear in flying. Nice! That's what I'll do next!

Seems like you just figured it out, for best all around viewing.
Ok, thanks, and you're very welcome. Glad we could assist... ;-)

Post pics or a short video when complete. Hahaha
Send the money order to Box 555 Topayme.

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker
WOW! Thanks for that info about the Lume Cube. I have the Polar Pro LED kit, and it has worked fine in helping me to find my P3P in the air at night. But I don't get the light I need from it to fill close-up subjects.
I'm looking to buy the Cube now.
Thanks!

Lume cube is ridiculously expensive, I rather tape 2 of my high powered flashlights that are going to be brighter anyway then spend 150 bucks, lol

Anyway, got these Polar leds today, If I take off the water proofing rubber on the front of the led's its a good 40% brighter, I have some purple and yellow leds I'm going to cut and splice in rather then the standard ones it comes with.. See how it looks :)

I thought the new FAA rules that came out last month says no night flying?

Otherwise, I think it's pretty cool!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj