Please Help Quad Destroyed

flyNfrank said:
1. The camera simply separated from the gimbal and has a spot that looks like a screw was pulled from the threaded area.

2. I never pursued my 1st loss out of ignorance. Much later I learned a faulty S1 toggle switch caused the fly away in which I never saw my copter again.

1. That's supposed to be that way. We all have a threaded hole without a screw

2. That same thing just happened to me! My s1 switch is broke

I'll tell you, I have a new P2V+ v3. I took it out tonight as my kids released one of those Chinese lantern. I thought it would be cool to follow it for a little bit. After reading Franks and so many other's issues I only stayed up maybe five minutes.

I can't afford another ship should this one bite the dust. It took a whole lotta honey-dos to get this one! I'm following this thread along with others hoping something is figured out and something I can fix to prevent the misfortunes of others!

flyNfrank said:
Sorry I took so long to get this up!
I took images of the last 50-60 lines of data I have from the flight. I also added what each column is for a reference above & below the 3 .csv file images.

Next thing to pay attention to is the Voltage, and look close to see in most cases the Voltage change dictates the Number of Satellites.

flyNfrank - really pleased that you are diligently applying forensics to this, I hope it puts us all in a better place in terms of understanding why we are seeing these issues.

I have never seen any flytrex logs, but it did occur to me that there is a disproportionate drop in voltage near the end of the last log image. You are inferring that this is contributing to the number of satellites - I am not sure this is necessarily true, but even if it was, isnt that kind of voltage drop normal in a Lipo at that level. i.e. there is a long linear degredation and then it drops like a brick once it gets to a given low point. Can you eliminate this suggestion from other data you have seen ?

Very sorry for your loss. I would like to think that such won't happen to me, but given the complexity of what we are flying, likely at some point, it will. Anyway, so far so good with my P2V+ V2. I resisted installing the V3 ESC's and motors, mainly because I didn't want to start soldering (x4) in my Phantom. It does seem like something is going on with the V3 ESC's and/or motors. Not that it is important in this context, but I did install and am flying the 9450 props on my V2 and like them. They seem a bit quieter, more "punchy", and flutter less under hard ascent/descent. Again, sorry man!

mede8er said:
Here we have 2 very experienced pilots, both of whom have recently done the v3 mods (motors and esc's) and both experience the same horrific results... I believe DJI has a serious quality control issue and a recall is in order....

Just realised that if you buy a 2312 for upgrade, it is obvious it is a different production run to a 2312 which comes prefitted as part of a "new" P2.

For a start the upgrade ones are branded "DJI", the prefitted ones have no markings on them at all. Makes you wonder if there are any other differences if they were made by different subcontractors? What if the wiring is a different gauge for example.

Hughie said:
.... it did occur to me that there is a disproportionate drop in voltage near the end of the last log image. ..... isnt that kind of voltage drop normal in a Lipo at that level. i.e. there is a long linear degredation and then it drops like a brick once it gets to a given low point.

According to this
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ba ... um-polymer
you should not hit the "cliff" until around 10.5v so I think we can rule that one out. Either way you lost 0.25v in a single log interval - was something unexpectedly drawing more current ?

Good Morning guys. I want to respond to everyone and will in a little while. But I wanted to let you all know that I sent DJI a email with a mild description of what I recently experienced concerning my quad. I sent them a email around 8pm my time last night, and they responded back to me around 4am my time.

They 1st said they were sorry to hear about the experience I had with my Phantom. They then said they would be happy to assist me. It then stated that the issues I have described will require me to call the support staff by phone to discuss my options. It then gave the number I'm to use, and the times of the day that I can make the call.

I hope this is the start of something good. I do look at it as a positive since they responded back so soon. Anyway I wanted to jump on and share that with you and I will be back shorty to catch up with everyone!

That sounds very promising Frank. Espeacilly how quickly they responded.

I must ask... How did you contact them ? Email them or use the 'report a problem' thing on the website ?

I have done the report a problem 3 times in the past 2 weeks and they have not bothered to respond yet...

If you emailed them can you share the addy please.

Frank I am so sorry to read this thread and see what happened to you. I can't post the company I work for because I signed a confidentiality contract with this company. I am certified in both HVAC and electronics both low voltage and high voltage. We have over 7400 techs nation wide. So we see a lot of failure rates nationwide. The amount of service flashes we get from companies on failure problems would blow your mind. Sometimes the company will pay for some of the repairs at no cost to customer, but that isn't too often. Here is the kicker here. Once you modify, change, open up or added anything to a product it voids the warranty. From that point on that baby is yours. Hell, some of these customers know more about the product than we do and can repair it themselves. They don't because it was still under warranty. Yes I have shipped control boards to customers for them to install after I have gone to there house and seen they knew what they were doing. Any company would rather ship you repair parts than replace the product. Now this will blow your mind, they would ship many parts to you, most customers feel it would be cheaper to replace the product that to keep shipping parts. It isn't. The mark up they have on these parts would blow your mind. Companies can't pick and choose who they will agree to replace the product, reason being if they did it for you they would have to do it for everybody. DJI is a very small company, even if they knew there was a problem with a board, motor, wiring..ect...ect, getting them to admit it would be like finding a needle in a ocean. As we have seen DJI doesn't have the best customer support but the pen is mightier than the mouth and holds more clout. Most companies feel it you take the time to write them and fuss you must be upset. As far as calling then that is a waste of your time. Reading your thread you have proven you are a honest person, stating some of the wrecks on the first ones were your fault.Sending a nasty gram or letter I can promise you will get you no where. Threatening them will also get you no where, they have lawyers sitting on their asses all day doing nothing...lol. Write a letter explaining in detail what happened and ask them if they could help you with the repairs. It will go a lot further. I really don't think any company out there sells something to screw up. But they don't want them to last for ever either. In this day and time we are going to a throw away economy. The DJI most likely cost them about 100.00 or less to make. After that, what makes it go up is the shipping of parts to make it, techs building it, overhead, insurance, ect..ect. Like I said before it is cheaper for them to send you every single part on that drone than to replace it. Good luck...Mike

Frank, I hope you have better luck with them than I did. I reported a problem where my video screen randomly flips from the video to the menu screen. It happens every time I use DHP. And only with DHP engaged. DJI support responded with questions. Then try this and try that and send me this and send me that. I did everything they asked, and the only response I got was a survey questionnaire on how well they did fixing the problem. In my opinion it was another way of them saying "what the ****....you figure it out". Problem still persists so I never use DHP. Since I only heard of a few other people complaining of this problem on the forum, I figured it must be something in my configuration. That led me to think that there are no 2 Phantoms out there that are the same. I know that is an exaggeration, but the point someone made about different sub-contractors for the components probably has some bearing on some of the issues we are having.

Guys - not to criticize DJI, because I am impressed with the product, but as someone involved in industrial machinery for 40 years, my observation is that the motor/esc should be a matched set, pre-soldered from DJI, and the esc to the Phantom should be a simple pin connector. The cost to DJI would be negligible, and the cost to us end users negligible as well, given the low cost of the motor and esc separately. This would remove the issue of soldering, cross-connection, heat damage, etc., in the field. Just my observation...

Just because you are impressed we should not criticize ? How does that work ?

I spent $1800AUD so I shall criticise all I want when you have to send multiple mails just to get a response, if you are lucky.
And yeah if you are lucky enough to get a response it is usually a 2 line answer that barely makes sense, and is useless.

I don't mean for this to sound rude or insult you personally :)

Geez...was perhaps hoping DJI is paying attention to forums like this. I think I will be a silent observer, since speaking up seems to result in the wrong kind of feedback.

justin00 said:
Just because you are impressed we should not criticize ? How does that work ?
I think Perdidoflyer was saying HE didn't want to criticise DJI. I don't think he was trying to control anyone else's view.

Just bought Phantom 2 Vision+ from Adorama Camera on Ebay. It was a bundle with a Pro case and spare battery, and a 32 GB memory card. It is supposed to be delivered today.
I phoned them yesterday, upon reading most of this post. The lady I spoke to said that they received this shipment from DJI on 12-12-2014 and that they didn't know which version they had received.

Does DJI still ship the V2, or are they shipping all V3's?

This was a Christmas present for myself, and I really don't want to crash and burn the first day I get to fly it.

I will be watching this post closely.

Great Pumpkin said:
flyNfrank -
Eventually when you've been able to take a deep breath and can find the time, it would be extremely instructive to the rest of us if you would write and post a summary of the entire affair, from the mods you made, to the Phantom's flight history from the mods to the crash. Add your observations while it was in flight and while it was falling. Then include a detailed description of the damage, your opinions about what caused the crash, and THEN if possible, the real cause of the failure and crash. Much of this information is already in this thread, but it is scattered and written while you were still in panic mode and puzzled.

What is it you are wanting to do with this info?

LostAngel said:
Just bought Phantom 2 Vision+ from Adorama Camera on Ebay. It was a bundle with a Pro case and spare battery, and a 32 GB memory card. It is supposed to be delivered today.
I phoned them yesterday, upon reading most of this post. The lady I spoke to said that they received this shipment from DJI on 12-12-2014 and that they didn't know which version they had received.

Does DJI still ship the V2, or are they shipping all V3's?

This was a Christmas present for myself, and I really don't want to crash and burn the first day I get to fly it.

I will be watching this post closely.
v3 came out in early October.

hey_moe said:
Sending a nasty gram or letter I can promise you will get you no where.

Hey_moe has very valid points and good advice when it comes to contacting DJI directly. But I'm sure they pay attention to social media and what is being said about their product. My daughter recently posted a short complaint about a product on her Twitter account for all to see and c.c.ed the company's Twitter account at the same time. The company immediately contacted her to rectify the situation. If we as Phantom owners want DJI to be more responsive to problems like this and help get to the bottom of any problem in a timely manner, we all should speak up and deter others from making the same mistake of purchasing a Phantom until DJI becomes more responsible. I, for one, will be informing anyone I talk to while flying my Phantom that the company has problems with their product and customer support and if they are interested in purchasing a drone they should look elsewhere. It's funny how I was immediately branded as a disgruntled owner in some past posts when I posted something to the group that I knew to be a fact. My P2V+v2 has had no problems (fingers crossed every time I fly), but I feel for you guys who've lost a big investment of money and time because of these types of problems. Talk and complaints on forums like this can carry a lot of clout when it comes to change if a company wants to survive. Just my opinion.

justin00 said:
Yeah true.. I have a few intermittent issues.. such as black screen instead of video when tele works.. and you open app a few times and it suddenly works.
On the DJI forum I have seen heaaapps of v3 owners say after they updated they only get a black screen.. So I'm lucky I guess...
So many problems.... Its amazing.. Seems like the vision + was starting to work pretty well, and you'd hope the v3 would be thoroughly tested.. but seems like the v3 has so many problems.. I would not want to get one.

Lets hope DJI say something soon... as you said, these are not cheap at all. I paid $1800 AUD... crazy money...

*edit* I had a look at your 3 data sheets Frank, which column where you concerned about ? The satts ? It just looks like you lost a few... seems normalish? I mean I can loose a few sats by just flying 100ft horizontally in some areas where I fly.

Also as you probably figured out, the crash file just tells you which line in which file (and the line number in the file) the app had an issue with.
If you are not familiar with decompiling java apps, a really really easy way is to download an android app from the play store called "show java". Load her up then select the DJI App.. it will take 30-60 minutes to decompile. Then to make it easier to search / goto line numbers, connect your phone to your pc and copy the files across that it creates. The files will be on your phones storage in a directory called java or show java or something to do with java, its quite obvious. Otherwise you can look at the files in the show java app but you can't search or anything, so much easier to use pc.
Decompiling java apps requires a few programs in windows usually (well for an amatuer like me it does) so the show java app makes it so easy to do.

I'm pretty sure the crash file is relating to the DJI App, as opposed to your Phantom, but I suppose if the app has an issue god knows what could happen. Might be worth looking at each line number in the relevant file and having a look at what the function is.

If people are bored I would recommend everyone does the above to have a look at all the functions. Its quite educational, even if you don't know java.. Basically shows you how the DJI App works... Like for e.g the IP Addresses are hardcoded in, as well as the ports, so if you were to change the ip alot of stuff would stop working.

Justin, I had posted mentioning what the main focus points were. Pretty much the most strangest seen in the data is the satellites & the voltage. The satellites should not be changing in the manner they are while at the same altitude. Then add the voltage into it.

eyecon82 said:
Mine just almost fell out of the sky yesterday http://youtu.be/ogExIuRQHC0

What did you do to regain control of your quad? Also was the home point in the direction it began flying towards before you stopped it? So glad you saved from flying off!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl