Please Help Quad Destroyed

Also before you go blaming him, your aware theres been like 8 people who have had the same issue in the last week or so ?
and a crap load of people on other forums.

My condolences frank!

If it helps, I am in Kentucky just south of Evansville. I can meet you somewhere and help with your video issues. I'll bring my lil old bird up and help if I can.

On another note, I'm now really worried on my new P2V+ V3. I half way want to crap open the shell and see what version ESCs I have just in case. I have a Flytrex 3G on the way and may just wait 'till then! I'm afraid to fly mine now until I check!

If there is anything else I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask!

Bob

Twould seem it happens to people with ESC v2.0 and people who's ESC don't say 2.0, but is also 2.0.
Yours probably says v2.0

hemorrhagic flyer said:
cougar said:
But the soldering looks very suspect and might be the issue?

Exactly.

Lots of ham-fisted soldering on display in those photos. If the OP is going to try to blame DJI and try to file some kind of claim he would delete those photos if he was smart. They certainly cast doubt upon the true cause of his crash.

Not sure we can say this at this moment. Sure the ESC screens have way too much solder on the joints, but that does not mean they are not mechanically and electrically sound. The motor connections in the photo showing the burned out mosfet, do not look like new, but they could be the result of the impact - for example one of the PCB pads appears to have come away from the board. In my book, the fact that the wire is still connected to the pad, indicates the joint was good !

justin00 said:
Also before you go blaming him, your aware theres been like 8 people who have had the same issue in the last week or so ?

What type of "problems" are we talking about here?

If this problem is specific to ESCs/Motors I suggest it would be more relevant in the General Dicussion forum, rather than in V+. There may be Non Visioners who can contribute.

FlyNFrank, I would be interested to hear if you were flying with default gains, or whether they had been modified ?

"problems" such as the quad working for X amount of flights.. .and then suddenly dropping out of the sky.
I'm not going to bother getting all the threads.. but right now on page 1 there is Franks, and DBS... if I went back through the pages I would be able to find a number of other ones with the same "problem"

Have a look through this thread and count the number of people with the same "problem"
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

FunkyPhantom said:
justin00 said:

justin00 said:
"problems" such as the quad working for X amount of flights.. .and then suddenly dropping out of the sky.
I'm not going to bother getting all the threads.. but right now on page 1 there is Franks, and DBS... if I went back through the pages I would be able to find a number of other ones with the same "problem"

Have a look through this thread and count the number of people with the same "problem"
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

FunkyPhantom said:
justin00 said:

Just read through the thread. Yikes.

I got my P2V+ as a Christmas present. Considering returning it now.

Just contacted my supplier in the UK. The reply was not that surprising. They have not heard of any such problems, ESCs only go when the Phantom tips over in the grass with the engines still running. Furthermore they have not had any bulletins from DJI.

Same old same old.

Hughie, I only flew with default gains.

If I'm to blame for what happen I have absolutely no problem facing what it may have been, and wearing it. I did things and took precautions that I felt were over & above what was necessary. Example, after completing the 12 motor to ESC soldering points had enough time to cool, I lifted on each wire to see if it would either break off, pull out of the solder, or if the solder would break free of the board. I lifted to the point that the quad would just begin to slightly raise from the table.

Justin00, the ESC's show V2.0 on the stamp in gold lettering. I was under the understanding that with the combo of V2.0 Esc's and Firmware 4.6 you were good to go. When searching for where to find firmware 4.6 would be listed at, I learned that if you had the v3.08 firmware it contained the 4.6 firmware for the ESC's.

So while looking over the mess after removing the top cover, I looked for anything that appeared burnt, black, or melted, and nothing stood out anywhere. Someone mentioned a mosfet looking suspect. The discoloring that appears on the mosfet is I use flex resin and that is what it looks like. It comes right off like grease. There was several mosfets(board connectors) pulled off the ESC & main board. The main board is broken and the modfets closest to the break were the ones that had pulled from the board. The gps puck is shattered. Several bosses were broken and I had to use a screw driver to line up the holes in order to remove the screws. 3 of the motors turn hard with one unable to do a full rotation. Dirty Bird is right, the impact is what messed them up to the condition they're in.

The condition of the quad after the crash is one thing. But as some have wisely pointed out, there are so many others experiencing the exact same thing. They all have the same characteristics from start up to crashing. It because of that fact, you just about have to eliminate the possibility that the pilot is at fault.

Hughie said:
Just contacted my supplier in the UK. The reply was not that surprising. They have not heard of any such problems, ESCs only go when the Phantom tips over in the grass with the engines still running. Furthermore they have not had any bulletins from DJI.

Same old same old.

What do they mean by "only go"? Are they saying a ESC fails if it tips over while running?

flyNfrank said:
Hughie said:

Same old same old.

What do they mean by "only go"? Are they saying a ESC fails if it tips over while running?

Absolutely. It happened to me on my first or second flight (P2 V2) - MOSFET driver burnt out. I replaced the ESC and it has been fine since.

It probably means that the motors are being held from turning by the grass so the power demand on them increases to overcome the inability to rotate thereby causing more demand on the ESCs. That's my guess as to what that means.

flyNfrank said:
So while looking over the mess after removing the top cover, I looked for anything that appeared burnt, black, or melted, and nothing stood out anywhere. Someone mentioned a mosfet looking suspect. The discoloring that appears on the mosfet is I use flex resin and that is what it looks like. It comes right off like grease. There was several mosfets(board connectors) pulled off the ESC & main board. The main board is broken and the modfets closest to the break were the ones that had pulled from the board.

For interest this is what a burned out ESC looks like - this was caused after I landed on uneven ground and it tipped over whilst landing. Propeller stopped in the mud - something had to give.

Attachments

• esc.jpg
    esc.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 382
I am of the opinion that when all is said and done, the culprit is going to be the lower gauge wire that they are using on these new motors. The motor is demanding more power under certain conditions, the ESC tries to deliver the power but the wires cannot feed that power to the motors because of the constriction in the wires. Ultimately the ESCs overheat trying to push that power demand through. Like I said, that's my guess so don't hang my butt out there if you guys don't agree.

Couchie said:
My condolences frank!

If it helps, I am in Kentucky just south of Evansville. I can meet you somewhere and help with your video issues. I'll bring my lil old bird up and help if I can.

On another note, I'm now really worried on my new P2V+ V3. I half way want to crap open the shell and see what version ESCs I have just in case. I have a Flytrex 3G on the way and may just wait 'till then! I'm afraid to fly mine now until I check!

If there is anything else I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask!

Bob

Couchie, I seriously might take you up on this as I haven't had any success yet. It's important to me to get the very end of the video. The monitor shows it at impact on the neighbors edge of roof right before hitting the concrete. Restoring the video before the Main Event would not be worth as much. I just looked at gas prices here and they are at $1.76. That means it wouldn't cost that much for my pig Tahoe that gets around 15-16mpg on the highway. I'm going to continue trying things members have posted.

Mopar Bob said:
I am of the opinion that when all is said and done, the culprit is going to be the lower gauge wire that they are using on these new motors. The motor is demanding more power under certain conditions, the ESC tries to deliver the power but the wires cannot feed that power to the motors because of the constriction in the wires. Ultimately the ESCs overheat trying to push that power demand through. Like I said, that's my guess so don't hang my butt out there if you guys don't agree.

Not wanting to be rude or mean to a guy that just lost his Phantom, but in my opinion the culprit is the soldering job. As pointed out here this is the main power wires to the motors and they need a good connection to get the right current flow, even more so considering the size of the wires. A good solder is seen in the photo above (on the ESC) and if you look at Frank's photos it can clearly be seen the difference. Again sorry for your loss, but that is my opinion.

Hughie, if you are referring to the very center of your image, then no I have nothing like that on any of my ESC's. I don't know if I should have, but I don't.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl