Phantom 5 Leaks

Alright - I'll play along... are these interchangeable lenses?

8pixI-fmRje66iKIrFqf8Q.png

That's the implication.

I don’t understand the need to draw all four of the lenses just to write a different mm on them. That’s my first thought.

For the practical features, Twin batteries might make more sense than one big battery. Waterproof is interesting but I think most of us would not want to fly in the rain or snow. Leave that for the rescue and agricukture models. More run time and more reliable flying distance is a given. The model spread could be wider with little to no upgrades for the base model. I would think the Mid level 5 has to at least equalize with the 4, but with better software to attract owners of the 3 and 4. Top level 5 could offer modular features for a range of pro buyers and high end hobbiests.

Reactions: BigAl07
I’ve been expecting an upward facing camera for years - about time DJI!

This is obviously a direct stab at those wanting to dive into the inspection market. That includes me. The only question now is the cost. I'm assuming that the price will be at the upper range of the Phantom series. If so, it represents a relatively low entry point for that type of service.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the need to draw all four of the lenses just to write a different mm on them. That’s my first thought.

Having studied Graphic Arts I can tell you that's what an illustrator does.
It's more immersive than Bullet items.

Does your opinion of this have anything to do with whether or not you believe this alleged 'leak'?

Having studied Graphic Arts I can tell you that's what an illustrator does.
It's more immersive than Bullet items.

Does your opinion of this have anything to do with whether or not you believe this alleged 'leak'?
My only concern is the good news/bad news aspect of the interchangeable lenses. The good news is the obvious upside of close up images for inspections (50mm) and wider angle for landscapes (15mm). The potentially bad news is (my opinion only) that the interchangeability of the lenses may also cause a drop-off in image quality vs. the current fixed lens of the P4P camera - which still amazes me to this day for its match-box size. That said, it seems Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLRs have got this figured out.

The illustration with the raindrops is interesting, suggesting this is an all-weather model.

Well remember this is just a 'leak'.
All 'features' have trade-offs and you make valid points.

I am not suggesting any validity in this information in whole or in part.
I usually don't 'dip my toes' in such speculation and was just commenting on the esoteric points some have made.

I'm confused about what the hoax is. Is it true that there will be a Phantom 5 with interchangeable lenses? If that's true and that's the only change that would be awesome.

If you want some educated, believable thoughts on the P5, look at Drone Valley's series of prognostications on what it will be likely to include. I certainly don't believe this garbage.

Depending on the price tag, I will most likely purchase one.

If P5 does have swap-able lenses and that's all, I'm not sure it will sell very well. Professionals may like it, and can afford it, but I would expect the masses with P4Ps already will hesitate. The improved camera will likely push the selling price closer to $1800, maybe $2000. Add batteries and your at $2500. I will be disappointed if the P5 doesn't include:

1. Sinusoidal ESCs for better battery efficiency (like Mavic Platinum)
2. Quieter props (like Mavic Platinum)
3. 360 rotating camera and retracts (as shown by Autel at CES in their 350mm craft)
4. 99W battery, adding a little more battery power than P4P, but still legal to carry-on as many batteries as you want on a plane.
5. Offline mode, guaranteeing no data is collected by DJI (they offer this in their high end drones today).
6. A gimbal that doesn't flip during wind or high speed flying
7. Ocu-Sync communications, so multiple display receivers can independently see the FPV view (like Mavic), via wireless.
8. Carbon fiber shell, so the cracks go away.

Frankly I would be happy with the current P4P camera and buy a P5 if it had the above 8 features in my "wish list".
i totally agree with the 360 rotating camera.... they should make retracting landing gear.

My only concern is the good news/bad news aspect of the interchangeable lenses. The good news is the obvious upside of close up images for inspections (50mm) and wider angle for landscapes (15mm). The potentially bad news is (my opinion only) that the interchangeability of the lenses may also cause a drop-off in image quality vs. the current fixed lens of the P4P camera - which still amazes me to this day for its match-box size. That said, it seems Canon/Nikon/Sony DSLRs have got this figured out.

The illustration with the raindrops is interesting, suggesting this is an all-weather model.
My experience with photography suggests the opposite. Fixed lenses of different focal lengths should produce superior images for different applications. Better than the images from current single one-size-fits-all lens.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Probably an hourly employee. May have drawn more, but was reprimanded for taking so long on one piece of paper.

???

(sorry wrong post the first time)
Probably an hourly employee. May have drawn more, but was reprimanded for taking so long on one piece of paper.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor