Phantom 4 Range Tests - Dirty Bird

That's exactly what they did.
Then, apparently, we need TWO of these batteries on the bird! :rolleyes: I'll be contacting Midwest Horizon so they if can make it happen. We've already done it with the P3 battery: split one P3 battery into two externals and hook them up in parallel to the internal P3 battery. Now they just need to do it with two P4 batteries! Piece of cake! :) Cost: $110 plus two new P4 batteries that you supply.

Then, apparently, we need TWO of these batteries on the bird! :rolleyes: I'll be contacting Midwest Horizon so they if can make it happen. We've already done it with the P3 battery: split one P3 battery into two externals and hook them up in parallel to the internal P3 battery. Now they just need to do it with two P4 batteries! Piece of cake! :) Cost: $110 plus two new P4 batteries that you supply.

If flight duration is sufficiently important to you then that may be a good approach, but of course with another half kilogram of payload the aircraft performance will likely be significantly negatively impacted. Depends what matters most I guess.

In my limited 47 years on this earth, I have learned an important lesson. Let new products get reviewed by USERS for a month or two before buying, ignore corporate "specs". I was one of the first to purchase a P2V+, which basically made me a beta tester. For those that love to be the first, enjoy the experience! Its a helluva hobby and can be fun experimenting, tweaking and modding. But if you want a proven, tested product, let these early adopters have at it for a bit.

That said, the vast majority of us want innovation. Each step will come with a price. Expect it in all things new and newer. As I stated in a previous post, most people have no need, desire or balls (it is against FAA guidelines) to roam out 3 miles. The phantom is an entry level camera platform, after all, and does its job well. Its not a 250 racing quad, its not a S-1000 carrying a RED dragon movie camera, and its not a Delair-Tech Ultimate with 100km 2 hour endurance.

Keep the posts coming DB. I'm interested to hear your thoughts of which quad you actually like to fly better, and your impression of the collision avoidance. Has a seagull triggered it yet?

Not yet but there were a lot of them flying around the other day when I was testing. A few weeks ago when I was testing one of my Standards a particularly aggressive seagull made some bombing runs on her. I flew off half a battery as we chased each other around. Only caught him in the camera once or twice though. Little bugger! :)

Keep the posts coming DB. I'm interested to hear your thoughts of which quad you actually like to fly better, and your impression of the collision avoidance. Has a seagull triggered it yet?

Reactions: DrJoe
If flight duration is sufficiently important to you then that may be a good approach, but of course with another half kilogram of payload the aircraft performance will likely be significantly negatively impacted. Depends what matters most I guess.
I was getting 15 minutes on average out of my stock P3P. By adding two 247 gram MaxAmp 2800 mAh externals, I have been getting 26-27 minutes per flight, over some 50 flights to date. I fly full throttle and cover 60,000 to 70,000 feet on average, at distances up to 5 miles away from the Home Point. If the P4 battery mod delivers accordingly, I'll be a happy camper! :cool:

I did. Even the useless ones:)

So far I'm closer to think that current P4 has lower MPB (miles-per-battery) and shorter maximum distance. Have I read the posts right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Obviously, if your premise for purchasing a P4 is that it has to be better than the P3P in every aspect, it clearly is not! At this time, the P3P is a much better value, with a longer range and plenty of mature mods to increase range and flight times. Besides, you already own one! The cameras are the same, with some minor tweaking. Unless you need any of the new features of the P4, stick with your P3P for now. The P4's advertised range and battery life are both pure fiction.

Can't speak for the iOS version but it works with the Android version.

I am a bit confused because Ken @ DJI said the new app supported the 32 channels natively but it doesn't seem to do so. I get only 8 channels on the stock app without the mod.
32 channel hack works with the iOS version, too! :cool:
I did not test without the hack, as I installed it before getting the P4, so I don't know if the new app doesn't require it, but it certainly supports it.

13,000 ft. is nice but still disappointing if that is the max. range for a P4. I was able to get 20,000 ft. on my stock P3 Pro on it's third flight out of the box. Gut feeling and numerous reports tells me the P4 can't replicate that. :(
Like to know how you all are getting 13,000 ft+ with a P3p, Flying in a vacuum? Hell out in the middle of nowhere with no trees, I am lucky to get 5,600 Ft! Tell me your secret!!!!!

This was done today with no signal drop and I could have went further. Still had full bars across the board. No modifications just stock P4.

78157c2bad242109f83dd21d67a558c4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dirty Bird
This was done today with no signal drop and I could have went further. Still had full bars across the board. No modifications just stock P4.

78157c2bad242109f83dd21d67a558c4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do this same flight over land only and you'll have something to brag about. Btw, there is a member that installed a windsurfer on his P3 and flew out over water 7 miles. He turned around and realized he was in trouble because he had ignored the battery warning to safely get back, and he had forgotten about the head wind he was at that point having to fly against. I can't remember the point in which the battery went totally dead and dropped into the water never to be seen again. But it was a lot closer then I thought it would be. (possibly 200-400ft short of making it back?)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Its just flying over open expanses of water, rural area, or desert where there is no Wi-Fi & clear LOS. A high ridge or plateau would work also. Not sure why you would be having issues if you have no trees? How high are you flying? Are you maintaining a direct & unobstructed LOS between you and the Phantom?

Like to know how you all are getting 13,000 ft+ with a P3p, Flying in a vacuum? Hell out in the middle of nowhere with no trees, I am lucky to get 5,600 Ft! Tell me your secret!!!!!

Do this same flight over land only and you'll have something to brag about. Btw, there is a member that installed a windsurfer on his P3 and flew out over water 7 miles. He turned around and realized he was in trouble because he had ignored the battery warning to safely get back, and he had forgotten about the head wind he was at that point having to fly against. I can't remember the point in which the battery went totally dead and dropped into the water never to be seen again. But it was a lot closer then I thought it would be. (possibly 200-400ft short of making it back?)

DJI claims 3.1 mile range which everyone is bashing. I believe it can make the range under ideal conditions which they claim. If I fly around my house which is in the city that is congested with all kinds of interference I am lucky to get 1500 feet. I just don't see why everyone is complaining about range when it can go beyond the advertised range without any interference in the area. Obviously if there is interference it won't go as far. As far as battery life I don't think it will make 28 minutes under ideal conditions with constant flying but I believe I can get a good 22-23 minute constant flight time, which to me is still great. I love my P4, and am truly amazed at the quality, stability, picture/video quality and everything else about it. If it falls a few minutes short on their flight time I can live with that. Maybe after the batteries have been broken in it will actually get to that 28 minute mark. Does anyone here have around 20 charge cycles that can give any insight if the battery life gets better?

A little story - The other day I attempted to fly my Phantom 4 from Port Covington in South Baltimore to downtown. Three times I tried at various altitudes until I totally lost contact at around 5,100'. Basically I made it half way.

I just got back from the same flight with the Phantom 3 Advanced. Everything was the same as the P4 flight *EXCEPT* I turned on Auto-channel selection. I had the P4 locked to channel 32. Ironically I noticed today all 32 channels had various degrees of activity, which sort of makes sense because I am flying over densely populated Baltimore City.

To cut to the chase, the Phantom 3 Advanced made it all the way to the downtown. I did notice I had major video lag. Usually my video is very fast & fluid. Today it was slow & sporadic when I was over the downtown, which made flying smoothly difficult since the Phantom's movement between frames was jumpy.

The question is, was the P3 successful because it has better range, or did the manual channel selection hinder the P4's range? I will have to take the P4 back & test again in auto-channel mode for a valid comparison.

Also got in a couple of other great flights, including one over 3 miles across the Bay from Port Covington to the Baltimore Marine Terminal into a stiff headwind. All open water & the video/control was perfect. Ignored the initial battery warning since I knew she's be fine with the wind at her back on the way home. Got back with 33% remaining.

Man I love flying these birds! :cool:

Reactions: Dwilli9013
Isn't the lightbridge used in the Phantom 4 exactly the same as the Phantom 3 version?

I can only guess with the new collision avoidance system that there is some interference which can hopefully be fixed in a future firmware update.

I was surprised though that the Phantom 4 didn't have Lightbridge 2 which has 1080 support already. The only downside is the decreased range which might be why it wasn't included.

Hi. Hope it's ok to ask this question here but I have seen the blades in a few videos. Is there any way to avoid this? I am looking to buy a p4. I do live in a city and I guess that would be where most of my flying will be.

Hi. Hope it's ok to ask this question here but I have seen the blades in a few videos. Is there any way to avoid this? I am looking to buy a p4. I do live in a city and I guess that would be where most of my flying will be.

In P mode with Collision Assistance on the P4 flys around 15mph and you will not get any props in the video. If you turn CA off or put in sport mode you will unless you angle the camera down a bit. Overall an amazing machine.

Fly slowly, tilt the camera down a little, or fly backwards.

Its just flying over open expanses of water, rural area, or desert where there is no Wi-Fi & clear LOS. A high ridge or plateau would work also. Not sure why you would be having issues if you have no trees? How high are you flying? Are you maintaining a direct & unobstructed LOS between you and the Phantom?
378' feet up, In Texas, Texas is Flat, very isolated area, yes lots of trees but I am 300 feet above them and 1000 feet from them in front, very rural farmland, couple house might have wifi, but at least 1/2 mile away. Flew there again today and got the same 5,988 ft and weak signal warning came up, ordered windsurfer to try out. ****, people getting 13,000 feet seems impossible! Thanks DB

Not a record breaker (not really trying) but I made it out well over a mile in thick woods and a hill today. Also was flying around several homes with wifi interference. Signal was still full so I could have gone further. No distance issues here.
095ae08e3387273a27b5d679951245fc.jpg

Have you tried any other areas to fly? Any open water or large lakes nearby? I always have good luck over water.

378' feet up, In Texas, Texas is Flat, very isolated area, yes lots of trees but I am 300 feet above them and 1000 feet from them in front, very rural farmland, couple house might have wifi, but at least 1/2 mile away. Flew there again today and got the same 5,988 ft and weak signal warning came up, ordered windsurfer to try out. ****, people getting 13,000 feet seems impossible! Thanks DB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl