Phantom 4 Range Tests - Dirty Bird

.........we have a new parking garage with upper level being 100ft above ground. Launching from up there gives pilots an additional 100ft of altitude air space to fly in. The drone police think they have you busted until they find out you're on top of the new parking garage.

:rolleyes:

Have you tried any other areas to fly? Any open water or large lakes nearby? I always have good luck over water.
Yeah, does seem better over water, but no lakes near by me over a mile wide or long. Must be signal reflection off the water helps?!!

Yeah, does seem better over water, but no lakes near by me over a mile wide or long. Must be signal reflection off the water helps?!!
Not much interesting to photograph or video when the only way to get 3 miles is to only fly over water...

Not much interesting to photograph or video when the only way to get 3 miles is to only fly over water...
Exactly, and I fly always for photography, so going out past 1000" is basically useless. I am just so curious how all these people are stating how they can fly 13,000 ' and I break up at 5K' . Reason curious is I would like better video feed at say 500' filming/photography without the fluttering and slowness!

Exactly, and I fly always for photography, so going out past 1000" is basically useless. I am just so curious how all these people are stating how they can fly 13,000 ' and I break up at 5K' . Reason curious is I would like better video feed at say 500' filming/photography without the fluttering and slowness!

Most don't know about higher altitude helps with there being less traffic which results in a longer flight distance. Take your aircraft up to 400ft and check the distance once again. Btw, some have even been known to stand on the roof of their house for distance. My b-day is today and I just fell into the bracket of being too old to get on the roof to do such things. But I might still open a window from the 2nd floor of my 2-story house some time in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRENTHABBESHAW
Quick question.
How does my home network affect the the P4 signal at 300 feet altitude, when I cant' get a decent wi-fi signal, in my second floor bedroom ???

Most don't know about higher altitude helps with there being less traffic which results in a longer flight distance. Take your aircraft up to 400ft and check the distance once again. Btw, some have even been known to stand on the roof of their house for distance. My b-day is today and I just fell into the bracket of being too old to get on the roof to do such things. But I might still open a window from the 2nd floor of my 2-story house some time in the future.
Happy Birthday Sir! And Happy Easter to all..

Happy Birthday Frank, at least we both can get discounts at the local restaurants!! LoL to bad Drone seller do not give senior discounts!

Reactions: Myetkt
Quick question.
How does my home network affect the the P4 signal at 300 feet altitude, when I cant' get a decent wi-fi signal, in my second floor bedroom ???
Good point, sorry I can't answer that one, may
Quick question.
Good point, sorry I can't answer that one ! Maybe the frequency wave travel at a higher altitude?

Reactions: Myetkt
You could always install a rooftp deck/helipad on your roof with a proper stairway and restraint railing, or even an elevator! It would be a really nice birthday present to yourself! :cool: Happy belated birthday!

Unfortunately, at 400 feet AGL, you are really in Google Earth territory, and missing the opportunity for unique aerial views and video only available at 200 feet or lower AGL. However, whenever I do lose FPV at really low elevations AGL, usually a small increase in elevation restores it. Then, push back down, until you lose it again, and stay just above that altitude! The lower you can fly, the less wind there is, too!

Unfortunately, at 400 feet AGL, you are really in Google Earth territory, and missing the opportunity for unique aerial views and video only available at 200 feet or lower AGL. However, whenever I do lose FPV at really low elevations AGL, usually a small increase in elevation restores it. Then, push back down, until you lose it again, and stay just above that altitude! The lower you can fly, the less wind there is, too!

You are focusing on flight visuals where I was responding to a fellow member that was concerned with his flight distance issue. Also keep in mind at 200ft or lower, you are more likely to fly into someones firework display or some teenager shooting his paint ball's at you. :D

Btw, Thanks for the belated bday wish! :)

Reactions: BRENTHABBESHAW
You are focusing on flight visuals where I was responding to a fellow member that was concerned with his flight distance issue. Also keep in mind at 200ft or lower, you are more likely to fly into someones firework display or some teenager shooting his paint ball's at you. :D

Yes. , Here in Texas with the new open carry gun law, I'd be having a field day flying around at 100-200" especially out in the backwoods where I fly! Yee Haaa! Amos! there goes another one them darn white fat birds, let's get it! baaang!

Closely related concepts, as understanding the height concept leads to optimising the FPV link, and better dodging the flying bullets from the teenager's parents and their unsafe and insane fireworks, while still nailing the shot, where you can fly low and aren't being targeted. P4 Sports mode is also especially designed for quick escapes of the "get away" drone!:D

We cant expect 1080 video downlink while maintaining or increasing range in the absence of a significant price hike. Even if the developement and embedded manufacturing cost werent significant if its above what competitors are offering it will be priced accordingly.

True, and whether it's even needed or valuable depends on what you're using it for. IF YOU ARE a professional videographer, I'm sure the better live feed the better BUT, the SD card is where the real high quality stuff is.

If 720p can show you what you're shooting, give accurate exposure previews, you shoot your video, and if too can get the bird home you can have 4K if you want.

I would think search and rescue, and other totally real time exploits could really use more Lightbridge Res. I look at 4K footage on my high resolution monitor, and searching for someone who is lost at sea would be way easier!

But for FPV flying, it's great, framing and previewing SD card stored videos it's great.

3-4 mile range was a big selling point for the P3 !!

I won't be buying the P4 --- too much hype --- too little performance! :mad:

Again why are you even commenting on this thread? Above is the comments you made a few weeks ago. You have made it clear you need a much more advanced quad than a P4. Pro/Noob, Pro/Noob.. You're a pro everyone else is a noob.. You said it again and again. Go be the pro you think you are, and fork out the money to get what you need and let us learn more about what we have purchased. Not what you think it should have been.

Yes. , Here in Texas with the new open carry gun law, I'd be having a field day flying around at 100-200" especially out in the backwoods where I fly! Yee Haaa! Amos! there goes another one them darn white fat birds, let's get it! baaang!

With a pistol, above 100' and moving range it would be a very improbably hit. The problem would be where the morons bullets would be landing! You all (shooters) have probably heard of Tannerite. You mix two ingredients (Ammonium Chloride and Al Powder) before going to the range to use it for targets. It needs a builder type impact to set it off. An lb makes a THUNDEROUS explosion. It's legal even, and a high explosive. Not really for putting in your quad, but if someone shot ME out of the air, I'd go back with a cheaper one that could carry a pound baggie inside. And make myself an easy target. If he wasn't really close, and was wearing his shooting glasses (prime gun safety rule), he'd be relatively OK. His hearing would have instantly gone through 1,000 rock concerts. SURPRISE!

When i see that one of our long range flight aficionados is back to report i am reading with great interest. This is dissapointing performance. I was hoping for a better camera hanging under the P4, it seems there may be some slight improvement in the optics but no improvement in video data rate or other important areas. To learn distance is crippled and battery life nowhere near advertised is a total bummer.

Sport mode may prove usefull for transition between POI but i dont want it at the expense of max V in P mode taking a backward step.

We might be seeing an act of desperation here with DJI trying to rush out obstacle avoidance and object tracking fearing a market share loss to yuneec and others.

As to obstacle avoidance, i can reliably see what i might fly into, i dont need my speed crippled to allow an automated system to do something im more capable of.
For me, it's all about a RTH scenario, that's where I expect OA to come into its own, and save the craft

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

For me, it's all about a RTH scenario, that's where I expect OA to come into its own, and save the craft

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Just set your RTH altitude accordingly, and it will never be an issue. It's always worked with the P3 series without any OAS, unless the pilot forgot to set RTH accordingly. When in doubt, use a higher number to be safe.

Reactions: Dirty Bird

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl