Phantom 4 - Dirty Thoughts

I agree in reality that it won't affect the battery life. But I can promise you that a generic response to anyone who makes claims is that "you are not in the latest software/firmware" updates. It is easier to state that and obviate the need to investigate further, as I'm sure there could be minor and undocumented changes in RC firmware and/or software.

Yes but I'm not updating the controller because of the moronic CSC change. The RC shouldn't affect the Phantom's battery life.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Fplvert
I was thinking the same thing. He needs a cold IMU calibration. Hey - DB - have you done an IMU calibration? Maybe that will help your flight times?

Wow it took over 41 seconds to warm up.
that is to long for me.

I gotta say you fellas make me super jealous. I can't afford the p4 at the moment. I work in the oilfield which is bottoming out. Maybe I'll own one some day! Or you guys can all donate to the cause so I can get flying with ya!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm on my 2nd all electric vehicle (now I own a BMW i3). Drones are very similar to EVs. The advertised range is really an approximation. Wind, temperature, your speed; they all effect range and how long the car will operate, sometimes dramatically. If I repeatedly accelerate quickly and operate at higher speed then my fuel (stored electrical power) will rapidly diminish.

Same with a drone. Power required to push an object through the air goes up exponentially with speed. The P4 can go 10 mph faster than the P3. It can accelerate much more quickly. It weighs more. All of these things, especially speed, effect range, time of flight.

The battery is bigger. But it's a compromise, with diminishing returns. compare hovering time of flight will let you know truly differences between p3 and p4 in regards to weight, power and efficiency, and time of flight.

I believe the 78.1 mph figure could absolutely be real. I just checked a flight I did recently with a P3P and it hit 58mph in atti with a slight tail wind (<10mph). I don't think it's a linear relationship of top speed + tail wind speed based on my own flight logs.

707a57b4c911c3fef29e36580b4fd7a9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Hi DB ... hmmm ... that's significantly faster than the 45 mph in the specs.
Is that wind assisted and does Sport mode pick up whatever wind speed there is like atti mode?
Or is it just a lot faster than the specs?
Yeah, I think he meant 77kph not mph which is about 46mph roughly. The P4 wouldn't go 77mph unless it was stuck in a tornado although I've gotten it near 50mph with a tailwind.

edit: I see this has been discussed for 11 pages. I wouldn't have put my .02 in had I realized it was the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myetkt
It is a little more complicated than that. A lot of the increase in velocity is due to an increased allowable angle, not directly increased thrust of the motors, thus it does not take a battery hit as high as would be expected if it was purely an output increase.

I know, but you would still expect it to be more than linear, as wind resistance is the main force being overcome.

Yeah, I think he meant 77kph not mph which is about 46mph roughly. The P4 wouldn't go 77mph unless it was stuck in a tornado although I've gotten it near 50mph with a tailwind.

edit: I see this has been discussed for 11 pages. I wouldn't have put my .02 in had I realized it was the case.

I have gone 60 mph on the reg with minimal tailwind

I hate when I get the dreaded, "maximum speed reached" or something to that effect, as an onscreen warning in the DJI Go app! It means you are being throttled in P mode, and precious battery power is now being wasted, braking, to diminish the full benefit of the wonderful tail wind! :eek:

Max speed in Go app can't be accurate. At one point with a real good tail wind go app showed I hit 77mph, healthy drone was showing in the 50's. Last week go app shows again with a tail wind I hit 84mph, I didn't check in HD yet. I think the new firmware addressed this inaccuracy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik