Phantom 4 - Dirty Thoughts

So it appears battery life and range is actually worse than the P3. What a letdown. Im glad I chose to wait. Feel bad for you new P4 owners.

Great way to reward loyal customers. With worse performance. Remember when people were speculating that the P4 would have Lightbridge 2 with BETTER range? Now we get closer to Wifi performance. Ha! DJI doesn't seem to periodically mind shitting on its customers. I'm seriously Thinking of returning my P4 and just going with my P3P.

Reactions: stulpin300m
Dav its such a shame. I thought it would have LB2 as well. DJI overdelivered with the P3 and now they cant hold their own standard. What a shame.

I totally agree. It is very disappointing. Did you write [email protected] to express how many of us are feeling? I believe the more that write the better. We did this once before and I got a personal response from a high up DJI VP that said "we hear you loud and clear" and worked to resolve some stuff.

I think this should be done now. Please write him.

Dav its such a shame. I thought it would have LB2 as well. DJI overdelivered with the P3 and now they cant hold their own standard. What a shame.

I did not test ActiveTrack because I did not want people laughing at me as I ran around the parking lot pursued by a strange & angry-sounding whirlybird gizmo.

Come on Bird. You could have got someone to video that and we all could have had a good laugh. I am disappointed in you. LOL

Reactions: Dirty Bird
So, can you get any closer to 28 minutes flying in Atti mode only, which is how DJI came up with 28 minutes in the first place, from what I learned earlier last night?

I'm going to try it myself, and report back.

Dear Phantom 4 Pilot,

We trust you are enjoying your new Phantom 4 and sincerely hope it is meeting with your expectations. Your recent flight achievement has been brought to our attention. We here at DJI would like to extend our congratulations on being the first Phantom 4 pilot to exceed 75 mph in controlled horizontal flight! This is truly an impressive feat.

As a token of our admiration and respect for your accomplishment you have been awarded with "Batteries for Life" for your new Phantom 4. The first dozen batteries are included. Drop us a line whenever you need fresh batteries for your Phantom 4. We have also included a complimentary Inspire 1 Pro Black Edition with 6 extended-run battery packs, four 64GB Micro-SD cards, and a Special Edition matte black 128GB iPad Air. Thank you for your support and Safe Flying!

Frank Wong and the DJI Engineering Team

:eek: That's amazing! Congrats Dirty Bird!! Just another bird to add to your great fleet.

(I'm still not 100% sure if you were joking or not).

No! It's not a joke! I got the SAME letter for being the first to achieve a flight time that approaches the specified ability of 28 minutes! But they sent me a Spreading Wings instead :/

Just to be clear I was being facetious. I was ribbing another member for a post he had made. No free Inspire 1 Pro or "Batteries for Life!" ;)

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Great way to reward loyal customers. With worse performance. Remember when people were speculating that the P4 would have Lightbridge 2 with BETTER range? Now we get closer to Wifi performance. Ha! DJI doesn't seem to periodically mind shitting on its customers. I'm seriously Thinking of returning my P4 and just going with my P3P.
Lol but it can avoid obstacles [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am becoming somewhat disenchanted with the P4's battery life. I just came in from flying around the neighborhood. I flew all three packs down to 15%. This is the third cycle for the packs. The first two flights were limited to P & A modes. The last flight was pure Sports Mode, balls-to-the-wall the entire flight. This thing doesn't even come close to 28 minutes. Next time out I am going to disable CA then lift off & hover down to 15%. Very disappointing.

Flight 1 - 18:20 - (P & A modes)
Flight 2 - 17:43 - (P & A modes)
Flight 3 - 14:12 - (Sports Mode balls-to-the-wall)
Does it really matter if the bird feels like it's built more stable if its performance time is horrible? Looks aren't everything right? Lol. I was looking forward to the release but when I seen it I was very disappointed because everything new was nothing I would use. It seems like a lot of people fooled themselves into believing there was way more to the bird then dji was saying and the fact that they just wanted what's new. I think if it's your first drone it's a great starter drone but how many experienced people will really use the the avoidance going 20mph??? Dji blew this drone up some much that it got a lot of people sucked in. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's well built but the options aren't something I would use.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dirty Bird - Ft. Armisteah, eh? Flown there many times myself :) Great place for testing. Were those some random kids coming up to you at the end there?

Flew mine today too. I can't get over how much better built the P4 is over the P3. The build quality is insane.

I have over 130 flights on my P3, and she is fully intact--no cracks. But I still worry about it. The bummer about upgrading is all the equipment invested in the P3.

Are most of you guys keeping both?

Its great that you don't have any defects in yours. I will say, though, the build quality of the P4 is great. Now, if DJI can just push out a couple firmware updates to give the P4 A bit better range, and more realistic flight time per their specs, that's all I would hope for.

As with technology, out with the old! If you were seriously going to purchase a P4, I would just sell off your P3 gear - except ND filters, and that way you would not have to take a huge hit on the P4.

It is a little more complicated than that. A lot of the increase in velocity is due to an increased allowable angle, not directly increased thrust of the motors, thus it does not take a battery hit as high as would be expected if it was purely an output increase.

Wind resistance goes up with the square of relative velocity, so it should be even worse than that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4