Phantom 4 discontinued

Honestly I don't care either way. My P4 is my first drone, I bought it to learn arial photography, I think I made a wise choice and it will serve me well. I'm either going to get crazy into this hobby or not and by this time next year I'll have no drone or whatever the latest and greatest is.
This.

Sent from my SM-G930P using PhantomPilots mobile app

d489d297c0b716a7e8363e05c804c8b7.jpg

This is right on the DJI Forums. One of their admins warned to "not believe everything you read..." and to wait for an official announcement from DJI. Also noted the format of the supposed email from DJI doesn't sound like it's from them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

This is right on the DJI Forums. One of their admins warned to "not believe everything you read..." and to wait for an official announcement from DJI. Also noted the format of the supposed email from DJI doesn't sound like it's from them.

I have a friend who works for DJI. She said their employees are literally the LAST to know about anything. It's possible they haven't told their employees yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's not a denial, either! :rolleyes:
They just don't want to admit the cat is already out of the bag! :p

I spoke with a DJI rep two days ago that confirmed it. It's not that they are discontinuing them per se, simply that they will no longer be producing them. as they need to focus more on the Mavic, P4P, P5 and Inspire line. They will still provide parts for repairs , but are simply streamlining production. They left the P3 Standard as their "inexpensive model".

S7 Edge tap'n

Reactions: smegs888
I spoke with a DJI rep two days ago that confirmed it. It's not that they are discontinuing them per se, simply that they will no longer be producing them. as they need to focus more on the Mavic, P4P, P5 and Inspire line. They will still provide parts for repairs , but are simply streamlining production. They left the P3 Standard as their "inexpensive model".

S7 Edge tap'n
So there is a P5! :D

S7 Edge tap'n
I was just on the line with a Chinese rep about my repair and they told me that only the P3 line is being discontinued and that the rumor is untrue. I think it's a lost in translation thing going on here.

I suppose it's certainly possible but it doesn't fit with their past BUT the Mavic might be cannibilized by the similarly priced Phantom 4 and they probably like don't like having two similar products at the same price point so I can see them not wanting to keep the Mavic, Phantom 4, and Phantom 4 Pro so I can see it either way.

I think it's an odd thing to do because people that are more into the photography side of things might want to have the larger lens of the Phantom 4 without going to the price point of the Pro which probably will come down anyway by the time they run out of stock. It's totally possible that they made too many P4s for Christmas and people didn't buy as many as they thought because they were waiting for the Mavic or opted for the Pro.

I really wish I bought the Mavic that was at Best Buy the other day now though. I guess it's time to use my affiliate credit money and buy something from DJI directly. The Mavic might be the thing. It's about the exact amount I have.

I haven't been paying attention. I have the feeling that people are loving it but does it have as good a picture as the P4? It's inevitable that I have to have one but I swore after the P4 that I would stop early adopting DJI products. I loved my one that crashed. :(

I just bought a blck P4 at Bestbuys for $899 yesterday. Was wanting a Mavic but they have seen any yet.

Should I take it back and wait for the Mavic for $100 more ?

Meh. The only thing that would bug me is that DJI will blow the remaining inventory out at clearance pricing. I am sure even if they did discontinue the P4, the product will still be supported with updates and accessories/parts.

It's totally possible that they made too many P4s for Christmas and people didn't buy as many as they thought because they were waiting for the Mavic or opted for the Pro.
You could be right, all the retailers seem to be fully stocked right now with P4s, possibly overstocked. Maybe they just don't need to make anymore before the next (P5) version comes out.

I just bought a blck P4 at Bestbuys for $899 yesterday. Was wanting a Mavic but they have seen any yet.

Should I take it back and wait for the Mavic for $100 more ?
If I had to choose one OR the other, I would keep my P4. But that's me. It depends on what you're looking for.

I'm going to get a Mavic. As it stands, I happened to miss a couple over the Christmas that was at Best Buy and I had a chance to buy one. Real upset I didn't now because I hate ordering from DJI because God forbid there is something wrong with it.

Here is what I _think_... DJI has a history of selling good drones at a very low price. I suspect they were doing this to edge out everyone else in the market. Look at 3DR. They had to give up the consumer market. Even Yunque is being pushed out. I suspect DJI did this with the Mavic as well in order to push GoPro out. I think DJI even rushed the Mavic to do this and its why DJI had a problem with their supply line. DJI now needs money and, at least right now, there is no clear market issue. So DJI could be cutting their products that don't make a lot of money. The P4P had a _huge_ jump in price, $500. $500 for a few extra sensors and a slightly better camera. That is a 50% increase over the P4. A big jump. It's tough to sell something for $1500 when you are offering something almost as good for $1000 (or less).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl