Phantom 4 discontinued

$500 for a few extra sensors and a slightly better camera

It's a bit more than that from the specs. Titanium/aluminium frame (wonder how much of the material is used though compared to what's in the P4 - plastic?), longer video transmission range (in part due to the increase in transmitter power), better battery life, sensors, and it's a lot better camera (the huge jump in resolution, bitrate and low light capability). I look at it this way - for many people the P4's camera will suit their needs just fine, and don't need to spend the extra $ going to the next level. But if you do need or want it, it's still a lot cheaper than an inspire.

It's like full frame vs APS-C. Plenty of people spring for FF despite the fact you can take pretty good photos with the smaller sensors. And there's a big price difference between the 2 sensor formats.

So with all this that's being discussed... I know nothing official has actually come out of DJI... But hoping to get some advice. I got the Black Phantom 4 from Best Buy for Christmas. I'm a little nervous that if this is true, there might be a lack of updates for it, and it may be difficult to find parts etc for it especially since it's a Best But exclusive. Just need some advice if you guys think it's worth keeping before the return period is up (I have like another week... Just contacted Best Buy) or exchanging it for the Phantom 4 Pro. I LOVE the black edition because it's different. The Mavic is completely sold out and they don't know when they're getting it again. So my only other option would the the P4P. Suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
So with all this that's being discussed... I know nothing official has actually come out of DJI... But hoping to get some advice. I got the Black Phantom 4 from Best Buy for Christmas. I'm a little nervous that if this is true, there might be a lack of updates for it, and it may be difficult to find parts etc for it especially since it's a Beat But exclusive. Just need some advice if you guys think it's worth keeping before the return period is up (I have like another week... Just contacted Best Buy) or exchanging it for the Phantom 4 Pro. I LOVE the black edition because it's different. The Mavic is completely sold out and they don't know when they're getting it again. So my only other option would the the P4P. Suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

If the money isn't an issue, the P4P is what I'd go in your case. However I don't expect DJI to stop supporting the P4 with firmware updates for a while. But if you want a Mavic, the fastest way to get one is from DJI direct. They have publicly said they are focusing on direct orders first, before shipping any to resellers. I think you can get delivery on a Mavic in about a week direct from DJI.

upload_2017-1-20_13-27-3.png

Reactions: antnyp85
If the money isn't an issue, the P4P is what I'd go in your case. However I don't expect DJI to stop supporting the P4 with firmware updates for a while. But if you want a Mavic, the fastest way to get one is from DJI direct. They have publicly said they are focusing on direct orders first, before shipping any to resellers. I think you can get delivery on a Mavic in about a week direct from DJI.

View attachment 74008

Yeah, it's just that it was a gift from my spouse so I'd have to buy from Best Buy... It was also on sale for a lot less than the actual retail price of $1,199 or whatever it is. I personally feel like the video quality from what I've seen on YouTube reviews is better on the P4 than on the Mavic Pro, but... Meh.. And yeah, I can pay the difference for the P4P. Just hate that it's white instead of black lol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yeah, it's just that it was a gift from my spouse so I'd have to buy from Best Buy... It was also on sale for a lot less than the actual retail price of $1,199 or whatever it is. I personally feel like the video quality from what I've seen on YouTube reviews is better on the P4 than on the Mavic Pro, but... Meh.. And yeah, I can pay the difference for the P4P. Just hate that it's white instead of black lol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
At CES this month the DJI folks said they are now selling this RED Phantom, check this out.

upload_2017-1-20_14-19-35.png

Last edited:
They are not discontinuing accessories, they just are not making a new birds in the P3 models or the P4. They are making P4 Pro, Mavic and whatever going forward. I agree with the other member, they make huge money on servicing and accessories. Just like car dealers make their money on used cars and service&parts

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

All these new colours are probably a marketing strategy to sell out all stock as fast as possible so they can discontinue it.

DJI have announced they are discontinuing P3Pro AND P4 as of Feb. Bit annoying since only introduced last March / April! I'm selling mine, maybe I should hang onto it as it's going to be rare!

Sounds like they're going the way of so many other "big" companies who forget those who made them big. Bad business!

Reactions: smegs888
Buy Phantom 4 Chinese New Year Edition | DJI Store

They haven't even started shipping the Chinese New Year Edition but they're discontinuing the model? Doesn't make sense business-wise. And that email does not sound like an official email from DJI.
Good point, they will be selling this for about 14 days, during Chinese New Year celebration. It will be a collectors item, a very limited edition! This could be worth $5K in a couple of years :p

Reactions: madfella
If you go on dji.com under products and click on the phantom line, P3P says no longer available in my country USA but P4 takes me to the purchase page!

it may be difficult to find parts etc for it especially since it's a Best But exclusive.
Probably the only part that will become scarce in the near time is the black shell, which could always be replaced with the white shell. I'm guessing that most or all other parts are the same.

Reactions: antnyp85
Probably the only part that will become scarce in the near time is the black shell, which could always be replaced with the white shell. I'm guessing that most or all other parts are the same.

Yeah... That was my concern... The parts such as the shell, even minor things such as the black props and the tablet holder on the RC. I might contact Best Buy and see if I can purchase their protection plan and if so, what it would cover. Usually the good part about Best Buy is if something is no longer carried 2 years from now, they give you store credit towards the next model up. Gotta see what their policy is in reference to drones.

I have pretty much decided to keep it. I love the black edition. And having it be my first drone, I don't think it would be worth it for me to spend almost double the amount of money to upgrade to the P4P (my spouse got this one on sale during Christmas. Think it was $850 or something like that). I'm not a professional photographer. I am eager to learn to take better pictures and videos, and to learn to use the Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements that I just got.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl