Phantom 4 discontinued

Are the only P4 special editions the Best Buy Exclusive black and the Chinese New Year?

I have pretty much decided to keep it.
I would have made that decision myself.

Flying my white Phantom in cloudy Seattle is hell, white on white. The thing disappears quickly. I would love to have a black shell (but am not willing to disassemble the thing to paint/dye it).

Chris

Reactions: antnyp85
Yeah... That was my concern... The parts such as the shell, even minor things such as the black props and the tablet holder on the RC. I might contact Best Buy and see if I can purchase their protection plan and if so, what it would cover. Usually the good part about Best Buy is if something is no longer carried 2 years from now, they give you store credit towards the next model up. Gotta see what their policy is in reference to drones.

I have pretty much decided to keep it. I love the black edition. And having it be my first drone, I don't think it would be worth it for me to spend almost double the amount of money to upgrade to the P4P (my spouse got this one on sale during Christmas. Think it was $850 or something like that). I'm not a professional photographer. I am eager to learn to take better pictures and videos, and to learn to use the Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements that I just got.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Best buy doesnt offer their protection plan for drones.
And from what i understand dji care wont cover the colored models.

Why wouldn't DJI discontinue a product when they have the "latest and greatest" to sell? What car maker continues to build and sell last year's model? I suppose it would be nice to have a DJI product line with a wider price range, but that should mean NEW products up and down the line every year, not this-years-and-last-years model.

Reactions: John Locke
Best buy doesnt offer their protection plan for drones.
And from what i understand dji care wont cover the colored models.

Now that you say that I just realized BestBuy didn't offer me any protection plan when I bought our black edition!

I'll message DJI and verify if the black drones are not covered.

I was in corporate marketing for years and it makes sense from that viewpoint. DJI isn't discontinuing the "line" just the entry level P4 I understand, which is at the same price point as a Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro is way cheaper to produce and WAY cheaper to ship and stock for both DJI and retailers. DJI will separate the consumer market with smaller drones and the professional market with the larger ones like the P4pro and up. Soon a Mavic Standard will be introduced - that will replace the P3 price points. That is how I see it thru the lens of marketing.

This is frustrating. Just bought mine before Christmas. Looks like I better buy up batteries before they stop making them. :(

I know. I made the same mistake with P2. Bought it just weeks before it was out.
I bought my P4 weeks after it arrived.
So disappointing..

R

Not sure what all the concern is about. Every year or so new models of tech come out that doesn't make the previous years model obsolete. I bought my LG Oled for $5k right before they release the next years model and dropped the price but, I wanted it when I bought it and it will be fine for many years to come. I got the Phantom 4 in June and have greatly enjoyed it with over 200 miles on it. When the time comes, I'll buy then next one which is available at the time. These materialistic things are not investments, they are just nice to have. When DJI stops updating firmware for the P4, I expect it will be as stable as it can get. The batteries for the P4Pro are compatible with the P4 and parts will be available for a long time. None of this tech will last forever. BTW: if anyone wants an Apple II or an IBM AT or a VCR camera or a 8mm do digital camera, etc. let me know

Reactions: Smallz
Now that you say that I just realized BestBuy didn't offer me any protection plan when I bought our black edition!

That's ridiculous. It's like Chevy only giving a powertrain warranty on white Silverados but the black ones don't get it. Makes no sense. I wonder if the Chinese New Year models will also be denied DJI care.

Yeah I just called Best Buy and they don't offer it on the drones. I thought I read over on DJI Forums that DJI started offering their protection plans for the black edition now.

Edit: Found the link in the DJI Forum.. Someone said they were able to buy it by emailing DJI at [email protected]

It's one of the replies here: No DJI Care for Black edition

Last edited:
Reactions: we_lexplore
Flying my white Phantom in cloudy Seattle is hell, white on white. The thing disappears quickly. I would love to have a black shell (but am not willing to disassemble the thing to paint/dye it).

Chris

I bought my P4 from Best Buy a few weeks ago, they originally pulled out a black one and I told them to put that back and grab a white one.

There were two reasons for this: First I wanted the most popular color for greatest parts availability, and second I didn't want it to stand out any more than necessary while up in the sky. White blends in with the sky better than black.

This was not to be creepy, sneak up on people, or anything like that, I just figured that with people freaking out over privacy issues etc, it would be best to stand out as little as possible. And lets face it, it's still pretty easy to spot the white ones up there.

I bought my P4 from Best Buy a few weeks ago, they originally pulled out a black one and I told them to put that back and grab a white one.

There were two reasons for this: First I wanted the most popular color for greatest parts availability, and second I didn't want it to stand out any more than necessary while up in the sky. White blends in with the sky better than black.

This was not to be creepy, sneak up on people, or anything like that, I just figured that with people freaking out over privacy issues etc, it would be best to stand out as little as possible. And lets face it, it's still pretty easy to spot the white ones up there.

Creeeeepyyyyy ;-) Just kidding. I joke around about checking out my hot neighbor with my P4 lol. Totally kidding tho.

Yeah I'm concerned about not being able to find parts for my black one eventually. But for now I think it'll be ok. Best Buy has the batteries and propellers... The other parts I'd have to search around. Just personal preference as to whether black or white. I prefer having something that not as many people have, although that means harder to find parts I guess.

c7ceaf340ade87fc6d8967f70f7635a6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Stew-2
Honestly I don't care either way. My P4 is my first drone, I bought it to learn arial photography, I think I made a wise choice and it will serve me well. I'm either going to get crazy into this hobby or not and by this time next year I'll have no drone or whatever the latest and greatest is.

You and I both man. I got the P4 a month ago,and just flew it finally this week, AND got my brother one as well.

I love it so far, and it's a whole lot of fun plus plenty of Bragging Rights.

By Christmas this year I will be either getting the meanest and baddest of all drones at that time or will be moving on to something else.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ftttu
When the 3s & 4s go on the fritz they may not have repair parts? It would be a good time to buy a spare P3or4 now while you can if you like yours for parts? The price should drop making it an opportunity to buy a spare for those that like them.

Last edited:
Keep calm and wait for the massive P4 firmware upgrade of the year!

Sent from my SM-G925F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers