Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Actually it WAS full (charged last night), here is a link to Healthy Drones log. I was fighting a strong headwind apparently 22.5mph w/gusts to 31mph according to HealthyDrones (I don't think it's 100% accurate though) on the way out which KILLED my battery cause I wanted to go much further. Watching the vid I could see my props so I knew it had more attitude than usual to fight against the wind.

What's funny too is I had full control and great FPV but turned back cuz of battery concerns (I WAS gonna push for max distance until it did a RTH but got too scared)...but like 7,900' out on way back lost downlink for a few seconds. Just seemed to be a weird spot to lose it (4,000' closer than the max point) but never lost control or FPV, just a hiccup.

I can now say the ITElite is really awesome...you just need clear LOS and low interference. At the greenbelt by my neighborhood, 2,500-4500' is the norm max.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
You braver than me bro as I come back at 70%

You braver than me bro as I come back at 70%

Well, I was going to turn around at 61% (because the app told me to!), but I cancelled that before 10 seconds was up, and pushed a little more just to see how much control I had out past 10k feet. I also knew that I had a nice tailwind on the way back (hit 40mph+ on way back). So I used like 45% to get to the farthest point (with a few short pauses to pan around on the way there), and only 19% on the way back (55%-36% left at landing). Still, was sweating a bit.;)

I am looking forward to a CALM day to try that route again knowing it's a max range type area-will try for that RTH max failure but might crap my pants while waiting for her on the way back. This range thing is addictive!

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: TheTanger
That's troubling Mandalay...what kind of range have you been getting with the panel? What kind of device too? (Still trying to rule out if that actually matters or not-I used a 2013 Nexus 7 for this flight).
The best so far is 5012ft in an open area as you can see. I've been using Nexus 7 2013 like yours, iPad Air, and iPhone 6s Plus. But I don't think any of them is a factor.

It is troubling as I rely on this forum for help since @DBS has been very quiet. I sent him 2 emails and he has not responded for 2 weeks now. Very disappointed with the support, which does not exist. On the other hand, Tony from FPVLR was very responsive and even offered to take a look at the controller's internal wiring and replace my DBS panel with his FPVLR antenna for free. So I'll be doing this next week.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453438148.253621.jpg

I am looking forward to a CALM day to try that route again knowing it's a max range type area-will try for that RTH max failure but might crap my pants while waiting for her on the way back. This range thing is addictive!
Make sure you buy extra underwear [emoji12] Good luck!

Make sure you buy extra underwear [emoji12] Good luck!
You really don't need the extra ones as your butt gets to tight to mess them up :) lol

Tony from FPVLR was very responsive and even offered to take a look at the controller's internal wiring and replace my DBS panel with his FPVLR antenna for free. So I'll be doing this next week.

Oooh...that's awesome. What a great guy Tony is...that shows a lot of concern for his business & product. Seems weird that DBS is so quiet when he used to be on here and made some nice install videos & helped to push the modding on the P3S at first. Something with your range definitely isn't working right in an area like that.

Please let us know how things go with the FPVLR-will be very interested to see how it compares to the panel. I like the panel's look, but if you get another mile out of the FPVLR over the panel...then that would be very tempting. :) Quickly learning though that anywhere greater than 2.5-3 miles & battery life becomes your enemy! It would REALLY win me over if the FPVLR could get like 2 miles near a neighborhood and penetrate trees/buildings better than the panel seems to.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll have both DBS and FPVLR antennas to compare after I get back the controller. Will be interesting...

Well i see the pics of the dba mod. I just don't want to be the one installing all that. Does anyone know if they I'll install. This is just too much for me. It's looks scary. Maybe I just go with the fplvr. Not sure. It's looks ghetto. Imo. Hehehe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well i see the pics of the dba mod. I just don't want to be the one installing all that. Does anyone know if they I'll install. This is just too much for me. It's looks scary. Maybe I just go with the fplvr. Not sure. It's looks ghetto. Imo. Hehehe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Well ether one you are gonna have to do the same thing to your TX Tony .
And do read in our guidelines and refrain from the racial slurs .

Tony, if you have ever soldered it's really a piece of cake if you just take your time. I was most scared about the drilling but that was super easy...that plastic is made for making holes. [emoji3]

dipoles are not on, I don't need them yet
i had full signal still but lost it when i pointed the remote at the ground to get a screen shot
That's out there Cruizer ! How much more do ya think you had power for ?

dipoles are not on, I don't need them yet
i had full signal still but lost it when i pointed the remote at the ground to get a screen shot
Cruizer, can you post a picture of your setup? Do you have the DBS mod alone or amps, also can you post the model or a link to what you are using? Also is the Phantom stock or does it have a antenna mod also?

Cruizer, can you post a picture of your setup? Do you have the DBS mod alone or amps, also can you post the model or a link to what you are using? Also is the Phantom stock or does it have a antenna mod also?
Post 633

That's out there Cruizer ! How much more do ya think you had power for ?
I still had full signal strength
My limiting factor is going to be battery
Im sure I can go 5 miles without the dipoles

Location has been key

I still had full signal strength
My limiting factor is going to be battery
Im sure I can go 5 miles without the dipoles

Location has been key
I agree on location and having that power .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic