Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Hope yours will be better than stock. I was able to get 3500 ft with stock but only 2500 ft with DBS in 4 flights after the mod.

That sucks. I would possibly re do all your cables. might be an issue there. I'm no antenna expert but was an avionics tech in the Navy and an avid Ham radio operator. My issue is it will be hard for me to really test. I live in a heavily wooded area and finding a clear open space where i would be comfortable doing a distance test is hard to come by. I used to live out there in Roseville and would have had plenty of space there.

It does. I double and triple checked the connections and they are all good and tight. Will have to try to find that sweet spot by aiming the antenna. I know Roseville is wide open since I live in Elk Grove, which is not too far from there [emoji2]

Yeah I saw that.. The wide open spaces were good for drones... but sooooo much more I like about living in Apex, NC... the best small town in america! I love the trees here.. just not good for drone range.

EDITED: Tested in open field, but it started raining around 9500 ft and had to bring it back.

Before DBS MOD in Wifi Congested Area:1700 Ft
With DBS MOD in Wifi Congested Area: 3700 Ft

Before DBS MOD in Open Field: 3500 Ft to 4000 Ft
With DBS MOD in Open Field: 9500 Ft* (Could've went further, Started raining at 9500 ft. However, last 3000 ft of flight was switching between low connection and no signal, still pushed through a few thousand more feet though) Will have to test again when the weather permits.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpringDink
Finally installed my DBS antenna. Definitely happy with double the distance in a very wifi congested area. Pretty confident I will be going very far in the open field tomorrow.

Before DBS MOD in Wifi Congested Area:1700 Ft
With DBS MOD in Wifi Congested Area: 3700 Ft

Before DBS MOD in Open Field: 3500 Ft to 4000 Ft
With DBS MOD in Open Field: Testing Tomorrow

With my DBS Mod I was able to easily hit 2 miles over open water. Locally here, sometimes I'm lucky to get 2000 ft but I was getting 1/3 of that without it, the joys of a WiFi and tree filled college town I guess.

With my DBS Mod I was able to easily hit 2 miles over open water. Locally here, sometimes I'm lucky to get 2000 ft but I was getting 1/3 of that without it, the joys of a WiFi and tree filled college town I guess.

Nice, im excited to test out some crazy distances tomorrow in an open field. open water probably gets the furthest distances but i always chicken out when i get too far on the water lol. maybe ill try that out now that i dont have to worry about the stock antenna.

Reactions: Shelbz
Hello everyone. New to the page. Got a P3S about a week ago and have about 10 flights but I have the same issue with signal. I would like to at least get to 2000ft range. Any recommended kits to upgrade? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does it come with instructions and or any video sources?

Does it come with instructions and or any video sources?

pics of install on page 10 and 15.

Ok great. I'm actually amazed I want to do this mode. When I first bought my P3S I never thought I would take it that high but I was just lying to myself lol

I took mine out today again at the same location. I still can't get it over 1900 feet. I lost RC signal while video signal was nearly full. With stock antenna, it went 3500 feet. Not sure what else I can do...The connections are tight; thicker cables are used too. I tried to point it so many ways to hopefully push it further. But RC was still lost and RTH was initiated 3-4 seconds after that. It's also weird that I sometimes did not get the RC signal until it returned more than 1/2 way. I wonder if I have a defective DBS panel. Any pointers would be appreciated...

Btw, weather was not a factor. Very nice in Northern California today at mid 50's, sunny, wind at 4-5mph, and humidity was about 50%.

I took mine out today again at the same location. I still can't get it over 1900 feet. I lost RC signal while video signal was nearly full. With stock antenna, it went 3500 feet. Not sure what else I can do...The connections are tight; thicker cables are used too. I tried to point it so many ways to hopefully push it further. But RC was still lost and RTH was initiated 3-4 seconds after that. It's also weird that I sometimes did not get the RC signal until it returned more than 1/2 way. I wonder if I have a defective DBS panel. Any pointers would be appreciated...

Btw, weather was not a factor. Very nice in Northern California today at mid 50's, sunny, wind at 4-5mph, and humidity was about 50%.
I can't remember man what device you are using and it might not help you but msinger has in his signature settings for your device and the go app that helped me at the start . Have you looked at them ?

Have you tried the original cables that came with the dbsmod?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carloansales